What are you cooking today?

3,426 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@lisa13 Lots of non-Italians, my wife included, prefer mushy pasta. My Sicilian nana thought it was a sin.

a friend's mom insisted that pasta is "ready" when you throw it against the wall and it sticks.  Luckily I already knew better but yes, many people prefer mushy pasta

I told my Italian coworker about this and he almost had a heart attack :)

43 minutes ago, slammer said:

Drain the Spaghetti?

Draining means different things to different people. 

I like to fish my pasta out of the pot with a mini sieve on a stick. Then I can carry over as much water as I need to emulsify the sauce. But what pasta am I using?  How much water does it hold? Is it fresh or is it dried? Where I am going with my sauce. Questions, questions, questions. 

Others like to put some pasta water aside and then drain with a colander, adding back what needed as necessary as they see fit. 

Depends on what you are cooking really and what tools you have at your disposal. 

I like a sweeping generalization as much as the next internet user, but not so much when someone is trying to be helpful and share what they do. :rolleyes:

Like many other ingredients, we all have our own preferences re cooking !

I  cook pasta al dente, but then rinse my pasta  and then stir in a pat of butter plus herbs. 

Same with rice- rinse then steam over pan of water . 

Reminds me- today is pasta with pepper sauce , and sautéed ham and mushrooms sprinkled on top.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Drain the Spaghetti? 

This is what i mean:

https://youtu.be/xiyfindPODQ

When pasta is al dente you have to leave it from water and add seasoning.

Some Times you can take some water cooking to add later to complete the dish

1 minute ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

This is what i mean:

https://youtu.be/xiyfindPODQ

When pasta is al dente you have to leave it from water and add seasoning.

Some Times you can take some water cooking to add later to complete the dish

No - you don't HAVE to do this - you  can do whatever you want with your pasta:P

9 hours ago, lisa13 said:

Gianluca Mancini did not say anything about rinsing the pasta - where are you getting that?  "Draining" means pouring off the cooking water which is actually important to prevent overcooking.  No, it should not be rinsed but Gianluca didn't suggest it should be.

How does your method allow meat and veg to cook sufficiently before the pasta goes to mush?  And how does it cook evenly if you let the top layer go dry while the bottom layer is still in the water? 

Cooking the pasta with the sauce sounds like a recipe for glue soup tbh :)

eta:  I am aware of "one pot" pasta recipes but the ones I've seen don't use meat, and they put the sauce ingredients in the pot at the start of cooking when the pasta is still fully dry.

I never said she did, rinsing the pasta is one step further on the road to Pastacide. How my method works? Absolutly perfect if you do it correct, you need to clear your mind and "See" the pasta when it is finished, it works every time, but be aware, you can ruin it if you are not careful. I learned how to do it during years of study at the feet of a pastajedimaster, himself a direct disciple of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and who lives in a cave as a hermit on the slopes of mount Etna. I went through unmentionable hardships and sacrifice. But in the end it paid off and I can make perfect pasta with anything your heart desires the way I described.

I give Slammer a greenie for the correct use of the word "Pastacide" in a sentence.

The Pastajedimaster, is this he?

Quellbild anzeigen

After which I can only say,

Bildergebnis für pastafarian

I greened him as he has already gone through unmentionable hardships and sacrifice - figured it was the least I could do

So, in a disappointing trip to the HNO, I was informed that I have tonsillitis secondary to my surgery a few weeks back. So, following the familial adage that sick people eat soup, I cooked.

Grandma's chicken soup recipe

Dice one large onion and six or seven cloves of garlic.

In a large soup pot, melt butter and brown the onions and garlic.

Dice 600g or so of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you cannot buy these readily, you can skin and debone leg quarters.

Once the onions have gone clear, add in the chicken and brown it.

Add in 1.5 L chicken stock and 2 tbsp. tomato paste. Bring to a boil.

Salt to taste. Set to simmer.

Boil Risoni (Acini de Pepe or Orzo work fine) in salted water.

When the past is al dente, add it to the soup mixture.

Bring soup back to a boil. Add in bouillon, if needed. 

Serve steaming hot with grated hard cheese. If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times: pecorino romano is my hard cheese of choice. 

14 hours ago, food mom said:

I give Slammer a greenie for the correct use of the word "Pastacide" in a sentence.

The Pastajedimaster, is this he?

Quellbild anzeigen

After which I can only say,

Bildergebnis für pastafarian

Could well be, the deciples come in all shapes and sizes.

Fish pie a la Delia Smith. Assorted fish in creamy sauce, and topped with Roesti potatoes, plus some  grated cheese. 

Pizza.

Flour, water, olive oil, salt and just a little fresh yeast (2-3 g per kg).

Breadmaker on "dough" and let it run 2 times.

Too lazy to knead it myself in this heat...

In the unexplored depth of our freezer, there's still some grilled mackerel and whitling, all deboned.

And canned tuna outside (Follow-Fish; hook-caught skip-jack).

We have onions and garlic, canned tomatoes, mozzarella and an assortment of other cheese, frozen bell pepper (due to vacation), green olives, all kinds of condiments and spices,...

No need to do any groceries today.

Emptied out the fridge last night (when the cool air was blowing in through the windows) and made a nice vegetable curry, used up all the milk in danger of going off to make paneer cheese* to go with that, precooked the rice.

*Heat the milk just until boiling, add salt, ground pepper, chopped fresh herbs (I had oregano), stir in a little vinegar, let boil for 30 seconds, take from heat. Stir a little and let the pot stand for 20 minutes to let the curds form. Strain through a clean dish towel. Later gather up the towel corners and hang the bundle overnight to let the fresh paneer cheese firm up.

Summer food- made potato salad yesterday-  with chopped gherkins, spring onions, and some sesame seed /Thai dressing.  Never use mayo.

Plus some  sausages and  schnitzels..

Angus burgers, chili dogs, fries, slaw. It's Independence Day in the US. Time to be independent from good nutritional choices!