What are you cooking today?

3,616 posts in this topic

Today's menu: peanut encrusted pork neck steaks with roasted zucchini, eggplant, carrot and onion.

Brown the pork neck steaks in a pan with butter.

Mix ground peanuts, garlic paste, worcester sauce, mustard, mayo, and chopped chives in a bowl.

Remove pork steaks from heat and coat with mixture, placing them back in the pan.

Roast at 150 for 20 minutes. All veggies can go on a roasting tray and in the oven at the same time.

The hunt for food in my fridge, aka. the place that keeps my beer cold, continues, I think I have enough for a Bauernpfanne, or Mulligan stew, as our American buddies would call it. Anyway oodles of HP sauce will make it edible, so all is good.

Left-over salmon, mashed potatoes. So, add chopped  spring onions,   grated lemon rind, pepper,  cayenne,  tarragon,  horse radish, and an egg.

Roll into balls, and in breadcrumbs.  Heat oil- drop into pan, flatten gently and cook for about 4 minutes each side.

Plus salad of choice.

Asparagus-strawberry-arugula salad with crumbled bacon, buffalo mozzarella and vinaigrette.

Something I havn´t had in a while... Salt n Vinegar crisp butties and a banana buttie for dessert.

I also found a tin of mushy peas that need to be honoured in some way or other but I think I will see if I can get my hands on some bangers for that.

On June 12, 2019 at 7:19:44 AM, slammer said:

Something I havn´t had in a while... Salt n Vinegar crisp butties and a banana buttie for dessert.

I also found a tin of mushy peas that need to be honoured in some way or other but I think I will see if I can get my hands on some bangers for that.

Sounds like you have the 4 food groups there!

7 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Sounds like you have the 4 food groups there!

Four food groups. You mean like Coffein, Nicoteen, Alcohol and Women?

54 minutes ago, food mom said:

The four basic food groups, according to Cookie:

beans, bacon, whiskey and lard

My kind of foodgroups.

Uff! Just had a look in my fridge and corrolated the data with my bank account.

Looks like a great time to clean the fridge because next week Schmalhans is going to be the Küchenmeister, thankfully I can survive on potnoodles for a while.

Home made hummous (chickpea spread) in normal and blazing hot for the block party!

slammer, your fridge sounds a lot like ours...

cleaned mine yesterday, and it thankfully no longer smells like pond slime with a lacing of carrion - the last thing needing scoffed before it wanders off of its own accord is a pork fillet, which I think I might slice, squish and make into a version of that veal thing with stuff pinned on with cocktail sticks. 

That is going to be fun to google for a recipe... 

11 hours ago, kiplette said:

slammer, your fridge sounds a lot like ours...

cleaned mine yesterday, and it thankfully no longer smells like pond slime with a lacing of carrion - the last thing needing scoffed before it wanders off of its own accord is a pork fillet, which I think I might slice, squish and make into a version of that veal thing with stuff pinned on with cocktail sticks. 

That is going to be fun to google for a recipe... 

Oh that´s an easy one and you can do it with all mystery meat. Just follow the recipe from Pakistani Daleks cookbook and put it in the curry... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q

Hi guys
Today spaghetti and pachino.
Wash the Pachino tomatoes, cut them in half, put them in a small bowl and season them with a little olive oil and a generous pinch of table salt.

Drain the tomatoes from the excess water and dry them well. Bring plenty of salted water to the boil and boil the spaghetti in it.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan together with a clove of garlic. Add the Pachino tomatoes and sauté for 4/5 minutes over high heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper (or chilli). When cooked, add the basil leaves.

Drain the spaghetti al dente and finish cooking in the dressing with a base of cherry tomatoes. Remove the garlic, add olive oil again and serve. Decorate each plate with fresh Basil leaves.
enjoy

30 minutes ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

Hi guys
Wash the Pachino tomatoes, cut them in half, put them in a small bowl and season them with a little olive oil and a generous pinch of fine salt.

Drain the tomatoes from the excess water and dry them well. Bring plenty of salted water to the boil and boil the spaghetti in it.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan together with a clove of garlic. Add the Pachino tomatoes and sauté for 4/5 minutes over high heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper (or chilli). When cooked, add the basil leaves.

Drain the spaghetti al dente and finish cooking in the dressing with a base of cherry tomatoes. Remove the garlic, add olive oil again and serve. Decorate each plate with fresh Basil leaves.
enjoy

Drain the Spaghetti? Every time somebody does that an Italian Mama cries in pain and there is a special place in hells kitchen reserved for people who "shock" the Spaghetti under cold water. No, have just enough water to cover the Spaghetti and when it is almost evaporated chuck your desire in. Meat, veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, onion and garlic, whatever rocks your inner Italian. Then let everything simmer together. Because when you drain or god forbid shock you remove the starch from the pasta which is needed to bind whatever you have added to the spaghetti. Your choice of Spaghetti also depends on what you are aiming for because each pasta size has it´s own application, from hair spaghetti to number one, number two, number three, right up to linguine.

And you thought Spaghetti is just spaghetti.

Thus spoketh Slammer the Pastamasta.

Gianluca Mancini did not say anything about rinsing the pasta - where are you getting that?  "Draining" means pouring off the cooking water which is actually important to prevent overcooking.  No, it should not be rinsed but Gianluca didn't suggest it should be.

How does your method allow meat and veg to cook sufficiently before the pasta goes to mush?  And how does it cook evenly if you let the top layer go dry while the bottom layer is still in the water? 

Cooking the pasta with the sauce sounds like a recipe for glue soup tbh :)

eta:  I am aware of "one pot" pasta recipes but the ones I've seen don't use meat, and they put the sauce ingredients in the pot at the start of cooking when the pasta is still fully dry.

2 hours ago, slammer said:

Drain the Spaghetti? Every time somebody does that an Italian Mama cries in pain and there is a special place in hells kitchen reserved for people who "shock" the Spaghetti under cold water. No, have just enough water to cover the Spaghetti and when it is almost evaporated chuck your desire in. Meat, veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, onion and garlic, whatever rocks your inner Italian. Then let everything simmer together. Because when you drain or god forbid shock you remove the starch from the pasta which is needed to bind whatever you have added to the spaghetti. Your choice of Spaghetti also depends on what you are aiming for because each pasta size has it´s own application, from hair spaghetti to number one, number two, number three, right up to linguine.

And you thought Spaghetti is just spaghetti.

Thus spoketh Slammer the Pastamasta.

So you're a self-proclaimed "pastafarian", the irony of your post about how to properly cook pasta is Gianluca Mancini's profile says he's Italian and lives in Italy.:lol:

@lisa13 Lots of non-Italians, my wife included, prefer mushy pasta. My Sicilian nana thought it was a sin.

1 hour ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

Hi guys
Wash the Pachino tomatoes, cut them in half, put them in a small bowl and season them with a little olive oil and a generous pinch of table salt.

enjoy

I know (and tested) a similar recipe where the seasoned tomatoes are baked in the oven.

No salting and draining of the tomatoes beforehand required.