What are you cooking today?

3,606 posts in this topic

For dinner tonight: Vietnamese Summer Rolls

Okay, that's not so much cooking as assembling.

I make mine with tofu, mint, cilantro, thai basil, rice thread, lettuce, cucumber, and carrot.

We leave off the peanuts and peanut butter called for by most recipes.

16 hours ago, AlexTr said:

On to today's meal:

Today I decided to prep some meals for during my surgical recovery. My wife does not enjoy cooking, so I thought I'd make it easy for her.

First, meatballs. Now I know every one of you is going to say, "Hey, meatballs aren't Italian." Yes, I know, but as both of my very Italian grandmothers arrived in the US during the Depression, meatballs became a staple food. This is our family's soul food. 

Meatballs

300g ground pork

300g ground beef

300g ground veal

200g breadcrumbs

100g grated pecorino romano

garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste

2 eggs

olive oil (amount will vary)

Mix all ingredients except olive oil in a big bowl. Add in olive oil until meat mixture feels just a little squishier than normal.

Sauce

In an extra large sauce pan brown 300-500g pork neck bones. You have to ask for these special here so plan ahead or buy a bone in neck roast and debone (leave enough meat and cut at the vertebrae to have something manageable.)

To the browned neck bones add 5 or six chopped cloves of garlic. Lower heat and cook until clear.

Add 690g passata and 500g whole tomatoes. Add either one tiny can or three tablespoons tomato paste. Add in a cup or two of red wine and 300g or so of water. Stir to combine.

Bring to a boil.

Once it is boiling, form your meatballs to the size you desire and drop into the boiling sauce. 

Lower the heat to simmer and leave for two or three hours, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to taste.

This is enough food for several meals. I always freeze 2/3 and we eat 1/3. Even then, that one third last for three meals.

This goes with the pasta of your choice.

Since @Kommentarlos is obviously currently watching macronutrient intake for health reasons, I just wanted to add that you can use this sauce layered in with eggplant and light mozzarella to make a lovely mock lasagna. Heart health is important; that's why we only have red meat once per week (well, I do; my wife never tells me what she had for lunch at work). Pasta once every two weeks is quite enough. 

23 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

a lovely mock lasagna.

Hi AlexTr, hi to all

This my first ever post.

this is "Parmigiana"

5 minutes ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

Hi AlexTr, hi to all

This my first ever post.

this is "Parmigiana"

Thanks, Gianluca, but would you still call it that even if you include no parmesan cheese or is it rather the regional name? 

ETA: Found my own answer. I always stopped short of calling this a parmigiana because I thought that referred back to the cheese. I was wrong there. Apparently, it's Sicilian for the slats of a shutter. I love learning new things!

Sure

this is the proper name of this dish: it is like lasagna but instead of pasta you can use eggplant slices already cooked.

Thanks for brightening my day with new knowledge!

16 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Apparently, it's Sicilian for the slats of a shutter. I love learning new things!

you're right.

probably "parmigiana" derives from Sicilian word dialect "parmiciana"  that is the set of wooden strips that form a shutter.

So you can cook Parmigiana using eggplant or zucchini.

So I made my shrimp red curry noodle bowls. I guess you could call it Thai food, but I used soba noodles and Pak Choy and ate it with chopsticks when they use a spoon and fork in Thailand but whatever. 

Ingredients:

450g of shrimp, peeled and deveined. I used frozen shrimp from Lidl. 

2 cans of coconut milk

1 1/4 cups of water

1 cup of chicken stock. 

One inch piece of ginger finely grated

3-4 garlic gloves minced

1 small onion thinly sliced

1 spring onion— white part chopped and the green part chopped but keep them separated

1 1/2 limes of lime juice plus zest

I thing of lemon grass, bruised to bring out the flavor (take it out when meal is done)

Coriander minced— use the stems too. I think I use a nice handful

3 Tbsps of red curry paste (I use Cock brand, lol at the name) and it was quite spicy, but I like spicy, so you may want to tone this part down

1 Tbsp fish sauce (you could use soy sauce, but I prefer fish sauce)

handful of snap peas

two Pak Choy roughly chopped

100 grams or more of mushrooms thickly sliced 

250g of soba noodles.

So I sautéed the white scallion part, small onion, garlic and ginger in veg oil for a few mins on medium heat until they were softened. Do not burn. I then added in my curry paste and sautéed that for about 30 secs to a min until it smells nice and flavorful. Added the stock, coconut milk, lime juice, lemongrass, and fish sauce. I brought it to a boil and then simmered it for 10 mins. I then added my mushrooms and snap peas and simmered it for 10 more mins. 

At this time I got my water ready for soba noodles in a separate big pot and brought that to a boil. I cooked it for 5 mins and then drained them and rinsed with cold water. I then put the noodles in a pot of cold water and stirred to break up the noodles. I drained again and rinsed with cold water. Splashed some sesame oil on the noodles (you could probably just use regular oil) to keep them from sticking. 

Put the shrimp and Pak Choy into the coconut broth. Added the green part of the scallion and the minced coriander. Cooked for about five minutes on medium until shrimp were done. 

Put some noodles in a bowl and poured that broth over it with the veggies and shrimp. 

It was really good! BF said it was spicy, but he’s German, lol. He’ll probably complain to me tomorrow that his stomach is bothering him. I can handle spice; he cannot. 

I based my recipe on Laura in the Kitchen on YouTube, but changed a few things. I think you can find the link if you google Thai Coconut Shrimp Noodle Bowl Laura Vitale. 

I have enough leftovers for the weekend, so cooking will start again on Monday or Tuesday. I have a Brazilian BBQ date with boyfriend tomorrow, so I’m sure I’ll be stuffed with that for a day or two after. 

Tonights recipe for me did not involve my oven, grill. BBQ nor toaster... 

I went to the pub... Had a comfortable portion of Egg and Chips... 

A few beers. and then came home..

For Nach Tisch..   Pudding... afters, desert... call it what you will... 

A Generous helping of Rhubarb and Ginger...  

Rhubarb and Ginger Gin.. With Lashings of Ice and a strong compliment of Schwepps Tonic... 

You dont need to be Jamie... Flloyd nor that bloke who swears a lot... 

You just need to know when the time is right!

Cheers my friends!

Bis Morgen!

Thanks Jamie  O-

Pan fried chicken breasts-season with paprika, sauté on high heat- 4 mins.Place the chicken in oven tray along with lemon slices and cherry tomatoes. Lay slices of pancetta or thin breakfast speck over chicken.

Fresh herbs of choice over, I like tarragon and rosemary. Under hot grill for 10-14 mins.

Serve with wilted spinach, and buttered new potatoes.

My latest creation today.

I thinly sliced chicken breast (about 600 grams) and covered them in flour. Cooked them up and removed them.

I then added some mushrooms and zucchini and sautéed. Then I added about 4-5 garlic cloves and cooked them up until fragrant.  

I added a cup of chicken stock, and about half a cup of wine. I put the chicken back in and let them cook. 

Put on some penne on a pot of boiling water. While the penne was cooking I worked on the sauce. I added some creme fraiche and sour cream. 

When penne was done, I drained and added to the sauté. Cooked for a minute with some pasta water and all was done. Served with some parm cheese. Excellent meal and cheap. It’s a great way to use up veggies. 

11 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

11 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

When penne was done, I drained and added to the sauté. Cooked for a minute with some pasta water and all was done. Served with some parm cheese. Excellent meal and cheap. It’s a great way to use up veggies. 

Hi Klingklang77

a matter of curiosity: why do you eat at the same time pasta and chicken?

6 hours ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

Hi Klingklang77

I wanted to make it one meal to save time. I know chicken in pasta isn’t the true Italian meal, but I was just using what was left in the fridge to save time and money. 

9 hours ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

Hi Klingklang77

Because it's good! 

...and you thought I wouldn't know the answer.  ;)

No creations tonight. 

Tonight’s meal was “Falsche Hase” from Hello Fresh (they deliver and portion the recipes and then you cook it). It was OK. I have never had a Scotch Egg and this looked similar to it, so I ordered it to try it out. It was basically meatloaf wrapped around two hard boiled eggs with a bacon jacket. Served it with roasted potatoes and carrots and a leek cream sauce. 

Tomorrow is another Hello Fresh meal for lunch— veggie fajitas. 

11 hours ago, Gianluca Mancini said:

why do you eat at the same time pasta and chicken?

Not every meal with noodles is standard Italian.