What are you cooking today?

3,450 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Slobbering...

I didn't want to aggravate that yesterday... ;)

Chicken legs (four; not too large) brushed with a mixture of sunflower seed oil, a pinch of salt, pepper, some rhubarb nectar and Madras curry powder.

Placed in a shallow baking dish on a bed of onions thinly cut lengthwise, chopped garlic and one habanero (a worthy representative of its kind) plus a little more of the rhubarb nectar.

Baked in the oven at 200 °C for about 45 minutes.

Served with mashed potatoes. Truly hot meal on a coldish day.

I wanted to use up that little leftover from a bottle of rhubarb nectar, otherwise I would have used good apple juice instead.

Someone put up a great sounding meat marinade the other day and then another person put up a different version of it. Could someone please direct me to which thread they were in? I have 2 beef filets thawing out now.

Thanks!!

Could it have been on the Grill thread? I can’t find it. Maybe some of the unfortunate bickering gave it the axe?

3 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Could it have been on the Grill thread?

Indeed, AlexT posted one of the marinades I believe

I made a cauliflower chick pea tikka masala over coriander and lime rice. It was a Hello Fresh meal for two, but I got four meals out of it. I really like Hello Fresh. 

On Wednesday I did another crock pot meal. I put some cut potatoes on the bottom with some onions. Then I put a layer of frozen veggies on top of that and then a layer of chicken breast. I then melted some butter with garlic (about 8 cloves) and poured that on top. I cooked it on low for 6 hours and when I came home from work I shredded the chicken and it was good to go. Still have leftovers. It was all super easy, too. I just cut up the potatoes and put them in water the night before. I assembled it the next morning and it took about 10 mins. This was my own creation. Wednesdays are difficult because of my work schedule on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Next Wednesday I’m going to do peanut chicken over soba noodles in the crock pot. 

This weekend I’m going to do shredded chicken and mix that with some buffalo wing sauce, top with crumbled blue cheese and serve as a lettuce wrap. I also may make a tomato soup that I got from Hello Fresh, but I need to use up all the leftovers first. 

I made a big pot of Beef Nicoise  - small cubes of beef of choice.  Sautéed with sliced onions and chopped garlic,  add some white wine, beef stock,  tin of plum tomatoes,  lots of herbs-  Black pepper,Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Bay leaves  etc, and some stoned black olives. Simmer till tender. ( Depends which cut of beef used).

Great with chunks of crusty baguette, and salad.

Freezes well.    Once, I used the leftovers to make a shepherd's pie- tasty!

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

I made a big pot of Beef Nicoise  - small cubes of beef of choice.  Sautéed with sliced onions and chopped garlic,  add some white wine, beef stock,  tin of plum tomatoes,  lots of herbs-  Black pepper,Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Bay leaves  etc, and some stoned black olives. Simmer till tender. ( Depends which cut of beef used).

Thanks for this recipe, I'm making this now waiting for the olive oil to heat up.  No white wine will use red. Added some mangold and carrots and will put a few potatoes closer to the finish time. 

18 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

Thanks for this recipe, I'm making this now waiting for the olive oil to heat up.  No white wine will use red. Added some mangold and carrots and will put a few potatoes closer to the finish time. 

I like the white wine- lighter and the flavour of meal comes through. Oh- forgot- also grated rind of small orange!!:o

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

LEAVE OUT THE OLIVES!:lol::lol: I hate olives...makes it difficult in Greece...you get them offered all the time...I have to think of a different excuse every time!:P

(There´s a reason I hate olives but I don´t want to upset your dinner plans!! )

Mind you..I love olive oil!

Should I see a psychologist?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

I like the white wine- lighter and the flavour of meal comes through. Oh- forgot- also grated rind of small orange!!:o

Will try with white wine next time.  Don't have black olives either. Have some green olive cured in lemon but won't use.

Lol, just found some brown mushrooms I added. My secret ingredient is (drum roll ...) and please don't gag Ketjap-Manis.

Thinking about adding a pinch of  mild curry powder too. Omg, I love the Sharwood Mild Curry Powder. Check out those ingredients it really adds depth of flavor. :-)

Looks like this is lunch and dinner tomorrow because it needs at 2 hours to cook for the goulash meat to be tender.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

LEAVE OUT THE OLIVES!:lol::lol: I hate olives...makes it difficult in Greece...you get them offered all the time...I have to think of a different excuse every time!:P

(There´s a reason I hate olives but I don´t want to upset your dinner plans!! )

Just tell everyone you are allergic or that they don't agree with you. Problem solved.

I sort of do that, Sannerl! I roll my hand across my tummy and grimace!

:lol:

(same with celery , by the way! My really pet hate! Many years ago in London in my student days I was at South Kensington tube station in London and, in those days, it was fashionable that every bloody sandwich on offer came with celery! And I wanted to buy a sandwich and it had celery in it. And I remember saying to the sales lady: " there are two things in life I hate. Margaret Thatcher and celery! " )

The things you remember!

Edit: my Nicole is away at the moment visiting her son in Germany. Our 80 year old neighbour Kyoupe thinks I must therefore be starving and keeps bringing me food! Now, that is charming and lovely and I am grateful BUT she never cleans her kitchen and kitchen towels and stuff...I can´t take the risk of infection. I wait and feed animals with the meat. I know I must sound evil but it´s just a risk I cannot take here.

25 minutes ago, john g. said:

Edit: my Nicole is away at the moment visiting her son in Germany. Our 80 year old neighbour Kyoupe thinks I must therefore be starving and keeps bringing me food! Now, that is charming and lovely and I am grateful BUT she never cleans her kitchen and kitchen towels and stuff...I can´t take the risk of infection. I wait and feed animals with the meat. I know I must sound evil but it´s just a risk I cannot take here.

Nah I understand that. I'd discreetly do the same.

Mind you, jeremy...my office kitchen...bloody hell. Ok, I promise to do the washing up tomorrow!

In Germany, I made sure everything was pico bello but here..I have no Greek clients and don´t do business here..so I can be a bit of a Schlampe.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The dogs are in the office right now and have given up on me. One of them is in the bathroom, checking out the lighting ,  and has just barked: " Duschlampe Du! )

I live with my sins!!!

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

In Germany, I made sure everything was pico bello but here..I have no Greek clients and don´t do business here..so I can be a bit of a Schlamper.

Fixed that... your typo meant something entirely different I wouldn't accuse you of. ;)

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

The dogs are in the office right now and have given up on me. One of them is in the bathroom, checking out the lighting ,  and has just barked: " Duschlampe Du! )

I live with my sins!!!

That's an old one! :)

i celebrated not having to sit around clinics, hospitals and X ray places tonight with chips! Floury/mehlig ones from my fave er...shop Pennymarkt. Home made and double deep-fried Served with locally slaughtered pork in a marinade, originally intended for my Weber grill but cooked on the hob indoors. Hey didn't we have a thread for grilling somewhere? ;)

2 minutes ago, Metall said:

Fixed that... your typo meant something entirely different I wouldn't accuse you of. ;)

Oh, I thought that was the gender fluid word these days!!!

:P

2 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

That's an old one! :)

i celebrated not having to sit around clinics, hospitals and X ray places tonight with chips! Floury/mehlig ones from my fave er...shop Pennymarkt. Home made and double deep-fried Served with locally slaughtered pork in a marinade, originally intended for my Weber grill but cooked on the hob indoors. Hey didn't we have a thread for grilling somewhere? ;)

I know it´s old! First heard it from you on here a year or so ago!

:P

Checked all my old Langenscheiss dictionaries and wikipaedia...and the name jeremy kept appearing. So I thought: " ok, my man! "

10 minutes ago, Metall said:

10 minutes ago, Metall said:

I would accuse myself of everything! Je m´accuse. My Greek´s improving, don´t you know!!

( Mind you, the TT quoting system...sigh! )

Trying hard to stay on topic in case the mods get annoyed...I might open a tin of baked beans tonight!

6 minutes ago, Metall said:

OK, beat me to it -

I just put my potato gratin into the oven.

About 1 kg peeled and thinly (about 2 mm) sliced potatoes ("vorwiegend festkochend" this time) with grated cheese (young Gouda this time, but Bergkäse, Emmentaler and the like work great, too), a little garlic, one medium to large egg, 3/4 litre whole milk, a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Mixed thoroughly in a flat oven-proof dish. It will take about an hour at 200 ′C (not preheated).