What are you cooking today?

4,060 posts in this topic

As always, I'm trying to encourage my German husband who has various health issues, to eat more healthily. Here's yesterday's message exchange re what we should eat for dinner...

IMG_6948.JPG.6065c92ee0deb592da1a3133a56

So that was a no then! However...my daughter and her boyfriend thought it sounded great so we cooked it today for lunch.  They are keen to learn more about healthy eating and cooking before they go off to Uni.  Husband was still super reluctant. But...the cooking aroma was great and he wanted to try it after all, and...loved it!

We used courgettes as they were better than the aubergines available.  Half amount of cumin and a bit extra cayenne...white beans instead of cannellini (are they the same?).

https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/smokey-roast-aubergine-with-sweet-bean-mash

We will definitely try another recipe from this website soon...

Cauliflower and spinach- lightly cooked, then into dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan and stick in oven to bake. 

Had some leftover chickpea curry to go with it.

Simple roasted vegetables.
Every leftover veggie in the house (potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, turnips, parsley root, onions) was chopped, mixed with olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne (of course!), a little bit of turmeric, and roasted in a very hot oven with an occasional stir until nicely browned. Took almost an hour for the large amount.

Drizzle on some home made garlic oil when done (roasting with garlic just burns it).

Add cheese if you must, but I like the taste better without.

Yum! Will try this on Mr Metall, poor guy is on a diet of his own volition. ;)

Thai: Gaeng masaman (Beef curry with concentrated coconut creme [Santen] and potatoes).

The recipe I have lacked a little something, so I added some orange juice, a pinch of sugar and some Nam Pla (fish sauce).

Pretty good that way and closer to the real thing.

Other recipes from that book are quite tasty without change. O well.

I've noticed fish sauce is a great flavor enhancer, much better than soy sauce in many cases. No wonder the Romans already liked it (read up on garum if interested). :)

I know about garum - but, as much as I enjoy making things from scratch, I don't want to get evicted. ;)

4 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

I know about garum - but, as much as I enjoy making things from scratch, I don't want to get evicted. ;)

Hmm... got a recipe? I have the balcony.  And my neighbors keep animals, they won't notice. :D

Tee hee! I'm willing to take you up your joke and give it a shot, as long as we keep it outside! :)

(I forsee fame amongst Roman reenactors.)

13 minutes ago, Metall said:

Tee hee! I'm willing to take you up your joke and give it a shot, as long as we keep it outside! :)

(I forsee fame amongst Roman reenactors.)

You may use the Korean mat as incubator.

Who's joking? :P

As for the fresh whole fish: No problem to get it here as you know...

I'll have to try the self-made salted mackerel roe and male counterpart soon.

Otoh: I've still got lots of Korean Anchovy-sauce which is Nam Pla. Good for Kimchi.

(And yes; I've seen AlexTr's posting.)

Which reminds me, I have to check on my kimchi outside before it starts a civilization! *runs out*

Chicken, potatoes, spinach /all spiced up with chili,onions, pepper , ginger, garlic  and sea salt. I hope the cats like it. They´re waiting restlessly!

NOTHING!!

At least not yet. There is a wonderful category that is ultimately fulfilling and productive at the same time. It's called "Grazing". Usually practiced in Big Box stores, supermarkets and the like in the US, one nibbles one's way through the premesis, thus eliminating the need to cook later on.

So I am grazing through my kitchen. Good-bye, hunk of cheese and last bit of Provencale mustard. Good-bye, rose-elderflower syrup, hello panna cotta (I suppose this counts as cooking, but it's too easy). Good-bye, late bit of Nutella, into my mint tea (yum). I am a happy person today :):) .

I would post this in the "happy" column, but everyone there is fighting. :huh:

Well today, I had a package of nuts and then made myself two hard boiled eggs for lunch.

For dinner I did poached salmon (from Lidl, so super cheap) and put whatever I had in the fridge to use up (white wine, water, onion, garlic, lime and peppercorns). Took the salmon out and made a cream sauce with sour cream, milk and butter with the poaching liquid. I was pretty pleased with it. I also have leftovers now. I think next time I’ll use creme fraiche instead and maybe some parsley. 

I usually just eat protein and veg. I don’t like sweets and bread is something that I may eat twice a week. 

On 5/11/2019, 4:43:03, emkay said:

As always, I'm trying to encourage my German husband who has various health issues, to eat more healthily. Here's yesterday's message exchange re what we should eat for dinner...

IMG_6948.JPG.6065c92ee0deb592da1a3133a56

So that was a no then! However...my daughter and her boyfriend thought it sounded great so we cooked it today for lunch.  They are keen to learn more about healthy eating and cooking before they go off to Uni.  Husband was still super reluctant. But...the cooking aroma was great and he wanted to try it after all, and...loved it!

We used courgettes as they were better than the aubergines available.  Half amount of cumin and a bit extra cayenne...white beans instead of cannellini (are they the same?).

https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/smokey-roast-aubergine-with-sweet-bean-mash

We will definitely try another recipe from this website soon...

Whats so healthy about eating a plate full of eggplant and beans?

I made a chicken and potato cream stew. I wanted to use up what I had left in the fridge because I get a Hello Fresh delivery tomorrow (I order from them when I have a busy week). 

I cut the potatoes and threw them in the crock pot with one small sliced red onion and garlic. I put the chicken on top. I then made a mix of one can of diced tomatoes with a teaspoon of balsamic and I added some Schmand and milk in that mix. Salt and pepper and cooked it on high for 3 hours. It is pretty good. 

Epanadas, got the taste for them in Chile earlier this year and expect a couple of trays to be inhaled shortly.

Stuffed chicken breasts- sautéed onions,  herbs of choice,  garlic, and   grated cheese.  Dipped in melted butter and then breadcrumbs.

Cook  for about 40 mins.  Serve with peas and buttered potatoes. Oh and a nice mushroom sauce or any of choice.