What are you cooking today?

4,056 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, slammer said:

Tofu is food for the latte drinking green party voters. 

 

Tofu is food for green tea drinking latte voters. FTFY

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got tofu marinating in a mixture of oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and maple syrup for a Korean Tofu Taco Salad tonight.

That certainly isn't something I'd marinate tofu in unprompted, but the wife is working her way through a new cookbook.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sannerl said:

 

Have you tried Korean Tofu? That's very good, and I do like it.

 

I believe it must be super good, like any Korean food. I love Korean food.

 

We have a bit of Korean food in local Chinese store, but couldn't see Korean Tofu.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

But they sell it in every store. Somebody likes it.

 

Really? Then the somebody must be super minor portion.

 

I never saw it in Rewe, Aldi, Lidl.

Never saw it in any German family dinner party, or institute party or conference meals.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

 

I believe it must be super good, like any Korean food. I love Korean food.

 

We have a bit of Korean food in local Chinese store, but couldn't see Korean Tofu.

 

OK - I highly recommend https://www.maangchi.com/

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sannerl said:

 

You've obviously never eaten proper Asian food.

I drink my coffee with whole milk, no sugar. What's to be opposed to there?

 

Nothing can be opposed!  I always have full fat daily. Reduced fat or fatarm is just too little taste.

And I always eat unsweetened full fat bio yogurt! I love it. Without the taste of sugar, I can truly appreciate the taste of pure yogurt.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019, 4:15:19, SmurfLee said:

I bought tofu couple of times in Germany, and found that tofu here does not have any taste. It does not have the kind of soy aroma that tofu is supposed to have. The price is relatively high as well.

 

There is a vegan vietnamese restaurant in Berlin that sells the most delicious tofu " Quy Nguyen Vegan Living" - so light in texture and delicate in taste. They also make their own soba noodles and fabulous soy sauce for pouring and serve them with perfectly cooked steamed veggies.  When I can I try to eat there every week. 

 

In comparison to this most tofu sold in Germany is meh. I agree with you that the packaged stuff is lacking in any kind of soy taste. My local Asia Markt sells freshly made tofu which I pick up on the day it gets delivered for cooking at home. Much better texture but the taste is just not the same. I tend to fry it off dusted in cornflower and then add it to something with a stronger tasting sauce. You get 500g for 1,50 EUR though. I don't think that is too expensive.

 

I am curious to try Korean tofu in my cooking. That is a very good tip. 

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

 

There is a vegan vietnamese restaurant in Berlin that sells the most delicious tofu " Quy Nguyen Vegan Living" - so light in texture and delicate in taste. They also make their own soba noodles and fabulous soy sauce for pouring and serve them with perfectly cooked steamed veggies.  When I can I try to eat there every week. 

 

In comparison to this most tofu sold in Germany is meh. I agree with you that the packaged stuff is lacking in any kind of soy taste. My local Asia Markt sells freshly made tofu which I pick up on the day it gets delivered for cooking at home. Much better texture but the taste is just not the same. I tend to fry it off dusted in cornflower and then add it to something with a stronger tasting sauce. You get 500g for 1,50 EUR though. I don't think that is too expensive.

 

I am curious to try Korean tofu in my cooking. That is a very good tip. 

 

 

 

 

If I ever go to Berlin, I will definitely try "Quy Nguyen Vegan Living". Sounds yummy foods  :)

 

1.50 euro for 500g is really affordable, and it is freshly made. Even in Trader Joe, many years ago, it was 1.50 dollars for 500g pack.

Obviously Berlin is more international city. We do not have that many choices for Asian food.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

If I ever go to Berlin, I will definitely try "Quy Nguyen Vegan Living". Sounds yummy foods  :)

 

You should treat yourself and go food shopping. The potential to get interesting ingredients for international cooking in Berlin has exploded over the last 10 years. 

 

(off topic: you can take the super cheap if you book in advance FlixTrain from Heidelberg to Berlin)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sannerl said:

 

OK - I highly recommend https://www.maangchi.com/

 

You must be swiftly silenced!

No one may know of the secret super powers of Maangchi!! Aaaaahhhhhhh!!

*runs to make red bean and rice cake* :D:D:D

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sannerl said:

 

You've obviously never eaten proper Asian food.

I drink my coffee with whole milk, no sugar. What's to be opposed to there?

Course I have had proper Asian food, tried curried prawns with chips and gravy once.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slammer said:

Course I have had proper Asian food, tried curried prawns with chips and gravy once.

 

That is Indian food, totally different from East Asian food.

Sounds not attractive to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019, 9:22:01, Maarsch said:

I got tofu marinating in a mixture of oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and maple syrup for a Korean Tofu Taco Salad tonight.

That certainly isn't something I'd marinate tofu in unprompted, but the wife is working her way through a new cookbook.

 

May require additional tweaking of the recipe.

Not too bad for a first try though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday at Edeka, I saw that leg quarters were on sale for a ridiculously low price. This can mean only one thing: Fried Chicken!

 

So, I have three legs and three thighs dredged in my special ingredients and ready to go into my peanut oil. I guess zucchini with ginger sauce will be on the side.

Who cares what goes on the side with fried chicken? Who. Really. Cares.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎05‎ ‎8‎:‎08‎:‎56‎, AlexTr said:

 

Freezer clear-out for Spring- found Rouladen and red cabbage. ( All home made:))

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now