What are you cooking today?

3,312 posts in this topic

Just now, Sannerl said:

Thought so. Pity.

Oh, if you look at recipes for tomahawks online, you'll see this is a pretty standard way to cut it. It's really just a bone-in ribeye with the long rib left whole. The other meat probably went to other cuts. At just under 1.5kg, it's quite enough for us.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

Oh, if you look at recipes for tomahawks online, you'll see this is a pretty standard way to cut it. It's really just a bone-in ribeye with the long rib left whole. The other meat probably went to other cuts. At just under 1.5kg, it's quite enough for us.

My bad. And I do know that the cut-off part is quite fatty, but the meat in there...

@Sannerl For me, I prefer this way because I am going to grill and want to keep the fire level down. If you were going to cook this up on the stove top and finish in the oven, the fat would be a real bonus. I just don't like to get the flames ups from the fat drippings on the meat. Too much charring for my taste.

I remember Alex isn't in Munich, but I think we would be able to pay for a group train ticket or gas ourselves. Just in case this becomes serious we can always go to PM. ;)

I am sitting here trying to figure out how I am going to explain to my German wife that a bunch of women I met on the internet are coming for the weekend! Imma see how she looks when I bring it up.

21 minutes ago, Metall said:

I remember Alex isn't in Munich, but I think we would be able to pay for a group train ticket or gas ourselves. Just in case this becomes serious we can always go to PM. ;)

Call it the MGM ( Mean Girl Meetup ) :lol:

28 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I am sitting here trying to figure out how I am going to explain to my German wife that a bunch of women I met on the internet are coming for the weekend! Imma see how she looks when I bring it up.

Nothing is worth having trouble with Da Wife! :D

I'll take the floor, have an excellent camping pad!

We are going to be unconscious after all the good food as well as the wine we're bringing. ;)

(Jokes aside, I could actually do a Ladies Night either at my home or at the Indian place near Scheidplatz.)

Chill  chicas, my office has a 140 pullout bed. No floor. Just maybe somebody'd have to couch it.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Chill  chicas, my office has a 140 pullout bed. No floor. Just maybe somebody's have to vouch it.

Ikea, too? - Know it, own it. But our's occupied by a cat...

47 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Ikea, too? - Know it, own it. But our's occupied by a cat...

You know, I have no idea. It predates my relationship with my wife. I never thought to ask. The guest room furniture is some light oak thing. I don't care for it, but it's solid wood. It also predates our relationship and that is why we bought a new bed. I don't care for rolling over the ghosts of girlfriends past and my wife had her days...as did we all.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Away with winter food.  Frittata and salad today. ( with mushrooms, spinach, ham and tomatoes.

I'm with you! Vietnamese summer rolls with tofu and lots of fresh herbs.

8 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I'm with you! Vietnamese summer rolls with tofu and lots of fresh herbs.

Now, tips needed- re tofu cooking! I know it is healthy and I have tried it - sautéed. But not to my taste- any ideas??

Well, first off, for summer rolls,  I buy these pre-cooked patties from Edeka. I do, however, know how to cook tofu so that it gets golden brown. 

1) Take your brick of tofu out of the wrapper and slice through the middle so that you have two relatively flat patties.

2) Place tofu on a large plate side by side. (I have Fiestaware, so my dinner plates are quite large and heavy.

3) Place second plate on Top of the tofu so that the tofu gets compressed.

4) Leave for at least two hours.

5) Drain off water.

6) Cube tofu. (I like about 2cm cubes)

7) Dust tofu with nutritional yeast.

8) Fry tofu in roasted (brown) sesame oil.

Use it however you'd like. This is a good recipe.  https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/the-grit-restaurant-golden-bowl/163272

what's not to your taste?  the tastelessness?

if so you can marinate it before cooking - I really like a simple asian mix of soy sauce, ginger, maybe garlic, and sesame oil.  A sprinkle of curry before frying works in a pinch too.  you can also fry it first then brush with sauce (bbq, terriyaki, whatever) just  before serving.

freezing it first can give it a much firmer texture.  It comes out kind of spongy, actually, and this absorbs marinades even better.

regardless of whether you flavor it or not, pressing the excess water out before cooking improves flavor and texture too.  just place it on a plate lined with a few paper towels, put a cutting board on top, then put something heavy on the board.  I like to use large cans but you can use whatever is on hand.  you want the tofu block to bulge...a bit...around the sides.  too heavy will make it split or collapse.  just go for a slight bulge.