What are you cooking today?

2,985 posts in this topic

Himself cooked a lamb stew in our large pressure cooker this evening. It was wonderful. He has started using kohlrabi in our soups and stews instead of/along with potatoes. 

lisa13, The standard time for meats in our cookers is 20 - 25 min. Large pieces a little longer. Fresh veggies alone around 10 min. Dried beans around 30 min. 

not cooking, but rather, enjoying..  Rosemary lemon turkey jerky with white beans and garlic infused, quite a treat

108228.jpg

I cooked an almost classic home-made bolognese sauce with spaghetti, a nice side salad with a good glas of red wine. Ice-cream for dessert.

The poor basil plant at work had fallen victim to a co-worker's hormonal swings, and froze as the window was left open all weekend. So I pinched off the leaves, took them home, threw them in a blender with the buffalo mozzarella that had been screaming "EAT ME NOW!!!" through the refrigerator door. Along went in a few dried tomatoes that I'd rehydrated and some oregano. Salt. Zap, zap, and spread it on toast. The little plant has sucessfully fulfilled it's karmic challenge, and is now one step higher on the Nirvana ladder. :):)

On 12/4/2018, 12:34:04, LukeSkywalker said:

I cooked an almost classic home-made bolognese sauce with spaghetti, a nice side salad with a good glas of red wine. Ice-cream for dessert.

similar menu to my sustenance during my uni daze, twas affordable if I found the wine at discount

Yesterday evenng I made Chicken, Leek and Cider Pie served with boiled potatoes.

It was a LOT of work, the wife loved it & daughter took seconds so that means something.

CLCPie-mini.jpg

If anyone tries to make it do not underestimate the amount of work until the pie goes into the oven!
I did use ready-made Blätterteig from local supermarket.

HEM:  this looks great.  How thick is a 50p coin, please? And what kind of cider did you use? "Dry cider" (I presume the opposite of sweet) is new to me. Thanks

58 minutes ago, food mom said:

HEM:  this looks great.  How thick is a 50p coin, please?

I thought that (the 50p coin) was a novel way to describe pastry thickness.  The answer is 1.78mm (Wikipedia is your friend).

I used a roll of Blätterteig straight from supermarket ("gut und günstig" aka EDEKA).  No rolling - just apply.

And what kind of cider did you use? "Dry cider" (I presume the opposite of sweet) is new to me.

I use the cheap stuff from EDEKA / Marktkauf "La Cidraie" HERB  (not lieblich - which would be sweet).

I believe it costs less than 2 Euros per bottle.  I'm not going to use my limited supplies of good English cider on this!

I ate the leftovers for dinner tonoight - with Bratkartoffeln from the remaining boiled potatoes.

Thanks. Agree w/the 50p description. Reminds me of when my grandma wrote a recipe where dough is rolled out "as thick as an earlobe". Turned out her earlobes were thinner than mine - came home from college once to find out! Will let you know the outocme!

I just made the most wonderful paella!

A cross section of these recipes: https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1576041265136617/Risotto-Grundrezept-mit-vier-Abwandlungen.html

Basically:

- Real Arboria rice (Rewe carries it)

- Veggies (onions, mushrooms, carrots)

- turkey stock (made from the Thanksgiving carcass). Stock to rice ratio is 2:1.

- Veggies #2: diced tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, leftover corn from Thanksgiving

- Tequila (because I didn't have white wine)

Fry veggies, add dry rice, fry gently till rice is partly translucent. Add stock, veggies #2, pepper, salt.

Let cook covered on very lowest heat for 20 minutes. Add tequila, cover, turn off heat, let the rice finish swelling for a few more minutes.

The good risotto rice is a must, regular rice turns to mush!

I´ve just had a cheese sandwich without the cheese! Couldn´t find the bread, either!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BUT..I have two frozen ducks in the fridge...one is aimed at Xmas..the other is/will be based on a whim...and will include green chili paste, coriander and spinach.

We will have goose for our guests at Xmas. One of our guests is a steak fan but that ain´t Xmas!!! So tough it out!! He knows about his doctor´s orders!!!

Salmon  , with chopped spring onions, lime juice, tarragon, pepper, garlic on top, and wrapped in filo pastry . Baked for about 25 mins. ( See Delia Smith's recipe!)

Served with   sweet potato fries, salad.

On 12/7/2018, 10:25:21, HEM said:

So you are getting tender roast duck at Xmas whilst your guests have to make do with rubber goose?

Also have a large duck and a small duck in the freezer..the small one will be this week (spontaneous decision when! ). Goose is for Xmas, HEM!!!

It will include spinach, coriander, green chili and will be magnificent. It is very difficult to find duck on Crete--but LIDL had a Christmas special this week. My Nicole is mostly vegetarian but will give way on this one!:D I mostly don´t eat much at all but will give way on this one!:D

(God knows what to do with the LARGE duck )..when it stops flapping around, I will have a man-to-man (or woman?) talk  about it.

I had something simple: veal schnitzel (on sale at Edeka for €12,90 per kilo) with boiled potatoes and green beans (hericot vert).  For a late snack I made some fresh guacamole which goes well with some taco crisps.

If you need lemon juice for the schnitzel ( though probably too late!), plenty lying around here, Luke!:P

On 7.12.2018, 08:39:21, HEM said:

Yesterday evenng I made Chicken, Leek and Cider Pie served with boiled potatoes.

It was a LOT of work, the wife loved it & daughter took seconds so that means something.

If anyone tries to make it do not underestimate the amount of work until the pie goes into the oven!
I did use ready-made Blätterteig from local supermarket.

This sounds amazing! I'm bookmarking it for the Christmas break. :)

Just now, the.frollein said:

This sounds amazing! I'm bookmarking it for the Christmas break. :)

I guess one can also use the turkey left-overs.  Don't be too heavy-handed with the Dijon mustard!