What are you cooking today?

3,633 posts in this topic

So I have been trying to make "German" things... normally I cook Mediterranean style. Tonight part of the menu was kohlrabi (not commonly available in CA, except at specialty shops/ farmer's markets), sauteed. I wasn't super impressed. Does anyone have any fabulous recipes for it?

Kohlrabi is best eaten raw with a thick slice of Holzofenbrot spread with butter half an inch thick. If you really have to cook it try a sharp cheese/horseradish sauce or Gorgonzola sauce. Or make it au gratin with breadcrumbs sprinkled over the cheese for a bit of crunch.

Tonight will be : smoked salmon with some ruccola served with toasts and some homemade mayo. Steack filet with a gratin dauphinois and some green beans. Dessert is a tarte tatin. I have been cooking since this morning and hope my guests will like the food.

Homemade Russian vegetable soup (adapted to my fridge contents):

Melt 50g of butter in a large saucepan and simmer on a low heat the following veggies with the lid on for 10 minutes:

2 carrots sliced

6-10 large mushrooms sliced

a head of broccoli sliced

1 medium onion diced

4 medium-sized potatoes diced

Meanwhile boil 1.2 litres of water and make a stock. Pour this liquid over the veggies, and seasoning, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, mixed herbs (I add basil, oregano, chili, paprika) and bring to the boil then let simmer for 30 minutes.

Take off heat and let cool. Liquidise to your preferences (I prefer a bit chunky so don't do it fully) and add a small pot of creme fraiche if you want. I also add some tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce here for extra flavour.

Reheat and serve.

Prawn and Pea Risotto

Fry off a chopped leek and/or onion and a couple of garlic cloves

Add the risotto rise - I use arborio - aout a generous handful per person

Add stock slowly till you reach a nice 'creamy' risotto - feeling virtous today as using my own homemade!! Need to be careful about seasoning - no salt if a preprepared stock - homemade may need more

A slug or too of white wine/martini or sherry can be added here

Then add the prawns and peas and heat through

Finish with a generous shaving of parmesan and season well

Will be ready shortly!!!

Enjoy

-Kohlrabi greens and fresh spinach sauteed, EVOO, pine nuts, lemon, S/P

-some sort of German fish, sauteed, fresh herbs from garden

-Zwiebelkuchen, purchased (I made it once in CA, and was unimpressed so I decided to try someone else's this time)

-Roter Sauser, Italian early red wine (Traubenmost)

Using kohlrabi greens was an "experiment" -- pretty good!

"Ris cun l'erborin" (rice and parsley)

This is a soup and belongs to the lombard tradition, something we (italians) are going to loose.

It's very simple.

Ingredients for persons.

150 g, of rice for soups

1 potato

50 g. parsley

25 g. butter

1.5 l meat broth

salt

grated Grana Padano cheese

Mince the parsley (not to much).

Cut the potato in little cubes.

When the broth is boiling add the potato and the rice, adjust the salt and let it cook for 15 minutes, Stir, but not too often.

It's a soup, thus in case it is too dry add some more broth.

Add the parsley, the butter and cook for other 5 minutes.

Serve hot, add the cheese.

Tonight part of the menu was kohlrabi. Does anyone have any fabulous recipes for it?

Two things you need to know about Kohlrabi: Make sure the leaves are fresh when you buy it.

You have to make sure that it is not woody. I don't know how you can tell in advance whether it is woody or not.

When peeling, you need to cut quite a bit at the top where the leaves are. If you find you are getting resistance when peeling then just throw it out. There is nothing worse than having bits of woody Kohlrabi in your mouth.

This is what I do. When I have peeled the Kohlrabi I cut it, like chips, with the most wonderful kitchen "helper" ever, my Börner. It is lethal but, used with the utmost of care, the best thing since sliced bread .. great for cutting leaks. It slices wafer-thin tomatoes too

Anyway back to the Kohlrabi. I don't drain it. I just make a (very thick) white sauce and pour it over the cooked Kohlrabi mixing it with the water left over.

The first time I cooked it I thought: if there is such a thing as "melt-in-your-mouth" veggy, this is it.

Two things you need to know about Kohlrabi: Make sure the leaves are fresh when you buy it.

You have to make sure that it is not woody. I don't know how you can tell in advance whether it is woody or not.

The smaller ones tend to be less woody. (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere).

We only eat kohlrabi raw and even our 12 yr old who hates fruit and veg loves it.

thanks for the kohlrabi info. Maybe the ones I bought weren't very fresh; they didn't have greens. This time, I bought them with greens (which I cooked, spinach style, and they were good!), and tonight I guess I need to give the root portion another go...

Thanks westvan. Hopefully I am going to start German classes next month at the VHS... ;)

Have you never had Bubble and Squeak? - it always depends upon what you find lurking in the fridge - and since I haven´t looked yet, I can´t give you the exact recipe - though if you are really interested I could PM it to you later on, okay?

(was the bit about baked beans specific enough for you, or should I mention that I will pop them into a saucepan and heat them up whilst stirring all the time...?)

I discovered some rose hips on a bush near where I usually swim (near the Weißensee), so I picked some. Originally, I was going to make tea out of them, but I found an easy recipe for Rose Hip Candy on the web. It turned out great, although it took a long time to get the hips clean.

Worth a try if you have rose hips growing nearby. They're sweet and wee bit sour with a hint of citrus; somewhat similar to cranberries.

Have you never had Bubble and Squeak? - it always depends upon what you find lurking in the fridge

Seriously, no, really, that totally is not what 'bubble and squeak' is. It just isn't. Atall. Whatsoever. The all-inclusive, fridge-forraging recipe that you are referring to is more commonly known as "stoned student mishmash".

Unfortunately, DR, I haven´t been stoned in about a decade, so I´m afraid we´ll have to stick to calling my version of it "bubble and squeak" for the time being ;-)

I'm not cooking--I am trying to can a pile of quince-apple sauce I made yesterday. I am using "Einweckglaesser" --the glass canning jars you see here in Germany. I am used to American canning jars, plus I haven't done this for a positively scary number of decades.. I made a trial attempt with one jar yesterday, but it did not seal..we'll see what happens today! Anyone have experience with these? Mine have tops with a curved edege and while cooling, the top is held down with a curious and uncooperative bail. Well, Uebung macht der Meister!

The fruit season is in full gear and we are two of probably quite a few people dragging around suitcases full of windfalls on the public transportation.