What are you cooking today?

3,633 posts in this topic

Ok, i'll dump the shrooms.

Spicewise there will be fresh chillies, chilli powder, garlic peri peri sauce and oregano going in plus seasoning of course.

Thanks guys.

Friday Soup

Start on Wednesday: Dice a large zucchini, crush a clove or two of garlic, put them in a shallow bowl and cover them with olive oil, marinate for two days

On Friday after work: Cook some noodles in broth, penne or elbow macaroni are best. The noodles are supposed to soak up the broth, cook them a bit more than al dente.

Peel and slice a large carrot

Peel and slice a large onion

Add carrot and onion to the noodles while they are sopping up the broth

Fry the zucchini, using some of the marinade oil

Add the zucchini with the oil to the noodles/carrot/onion soup

Cook until the carrots are beginning to get tender

You should end up with a minimum of liquid and saturated noodles with half-crunchy vegetables.

This is the basic recipe, you can use your imagination, adding mushrooms, bacon, cabanossi sausage, squid if you are that way inclined, pep it up with wasabi, use chili in the marinade instead of garlic etc.

Cream of Onion Soup with Breznknödeln

Breznknödeln:

• Go to the Wiesn, buy 3 large pretzels, eat some with your 2 Maß or so, take the leftovers home
  • Two days later, cut the pretzels into chunks, you should have about two handfuls
  • Heat 250ml of milk until lukewarm, pour over the pretzels in a large mixing bowl, let stand app. 10 mins, stirring occasionaly
  • Dice a small onion as finely as possible, sautée in butter, add to pretzel mixture
  • Season with salt, parsley and pepper, add 1 egg and mix (possibly add some ground bread crumbs to acheive the correct consistency)
  • Let stand for app. 10 mins, the dough should be sticky with no spare liquid oozing out
  • Bring salt water to boil in a large, high-sided pot, form Knödel (with wet hands to prevent sticking), let them cook at an almost rolling boil for app. 10 - 15 mins
  • Drain, serve in a covered bowl to prevent dehydration

Cream of Onion Soup:

• Thinly slice 1 large Bermuda onion
  • In a large saucepan sautée the onion in 3 tablespoons butter until it just loses its crispness
  • Add 1/2 cup of flour, stir until you have a lump of onion/butter/flour about the size of a baseball/cricket ball
  • Remove the pan from the burner, add app. 400ml milk (or half milk/half light cream)
  • Return the pan to the burner, bring to a slow boil
  • Add app. 500ml hot vegetable broth, season with paprika, pepper and nutmeg
  • If you like it hot add a teaspoon of creamy horseradish from a jar
  • Let the soup simmer for 10 mins
  • Serve with the Knödeln

Makes 6 medium Knödel and 4 helpings of soup, even tastes good cold

Today it is a little gloomy so baked goods always brighten up our home therefore I am baking a Mississippi Mud Cake right now. Good for those chocolate lovers! I just posted recipe before seeing this so go to http://www.ehow.com/how_4519191_mississipp...ke-scratch.html

I am also making orange pork chops tonite

InstructionsDifficulty: Easy

Things You’ll Need:

4 Pork chops

1 cup Blended Oil

1 Onion (diced)

1/4 cup Orange juice (no pulp)

1 tbsp Grated orange rind

2 tbsp Honey

Lowry seasoning salt (to taste)

1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Step1Season pork chops with lowry seasoning salt and pepper to taste. Then brown with blended oil in a skillet.

Step2Add onions to skillet when pork chops are almost cooked. Cook onions until they are brown, too.

Step3Add remaining ingredients to pork chops in the skillet and cover. Cook on low heat for approximately 45 minutes.

Step4Serve orange pork chops over cooked white rice along with vegetable of choice.

LOL, I've never even tasted it, let alone cooked it. But I am TRYING here, HEM! Hubby is a Hamburger. :P Normally I cook Mediterranean style, but I figure when in Rome... er, uh, Hamburg. ;)

Hubby is a Hamburger.

So is my wife originally (later grew up in Husum). I prefer Krabben mit Bratkartoffeln... (slobber...)

Tuesday is risotto-day around my place, Cat has watched me cooking it often before, last week we went through it step by step. This week, it's her turn, and I just realized that the only white wine I have at home is a fairly pricy (for my means) pinot grigio ...

I made tom yum soup yesterday and have leftovers. Then, assuming that's not enough to keep me going through yet another trip to the fucking Wiesn (next year I'll actually refuse some of these invitations ...), I shall eat oatmeal. My grocery shopping yesterday was not what you'd call exhaustive.

I just came back from Sardinia, tonight I will have "Spaghetti con la Bottarga" (Spaghetti with Botargo)

* 300 gr botargo of grey mullet

* 4 bay leaves

* 4 spoons of olive oil (extravergine)

* 500 gr of cherry tomatoes (absolutely not the dutch ones!)

* 500 gr of spaghetti

Put the oil in a big pan, add the bay leaves and the tomatoes (sliced in little pieces/cubes). Cook for 10 minutes.

Cook the spaghetti (al dente of course), put them in the pan and add the grated botargo. Mix thoroughly and serve very hot.

----------------------------

Tim are you reading?! This is for you:

- Add salt in the water

- Put the spaghetti in the water when it is boiling

- Don't answer the telephone

- Cook the spaghetti for exactly the time written on the box or in your case one minute less.

- No Parmesan cheese for God's sake!

german spouses especially seem to appreciate this one ;)

Gulaschsuppe

3 T vegetable oil

a few strips of breakfast bacon, or a small package of chopped bacon (to your taste)

500g gulasch meat (I like the beef and pork mixed)

garlic pepper and paprika to taste

1 small onion, chopped

throw everything together in a pot and fry until the meat is browned on all sides

add one 320g jar of Tomatenpaprika to the pot (including juices!!) and let it boil for a minute or two

fill up the empty jar 2x with water and add to the pot, throw in one beef bouillon cube, 2 bay leaves, 1 can of corn

bring to a boil and let it simmer covered for about 1.5 hours.

Throw in 2 very large tablespoons of Klarer Bratensaft (I use the one from Knorr), and simmer for another hour or so.

You may need to add a little bit more water as it simmers if it boils down too much. I'd warn against adding salt because the bratensaft is already pretty salty.

Enjoy!