What are you cooking today?

3,616 posts in this topic

Or you cut leftover Maultaschen in slices and fry them with onions, eggs, mushrooms and herbs. I have never heard of Maultaschen with sauce/gravy.

thanks gals, I'll see what I can come up with... maybe I'll mix a bit of pesto in broth, for a little extra kick. :)

Can anyone suggest a sauce for Maultaschen? I actually found some way up here in the north. I had them years ago in Bavaria (and loved them), but I don't really recall what sauces were used... danke!

As a rule, Maultaschen are served in a clear soup base. Or did you have them fried?

I usually make a broth from vegetarian stock (well I knowI'm stupid but I have gone the whole hog and boiled bones with carrot, celery etc, and then thrown it all away. Didn't like it.) Anyway, chopping some chives into the stock just before serving is good. Also another fabulous spice mix from the Reform Haus is Endoferm. You can add it to everything from white sauces to clear stocks, meat, bolognaise sauce, seasoning steaks, absolutely everything. It has no nasties in it (monosodium glutamate, colour etc), and it doesn't make things taste of Endoferm, just improves the overall flavour. I havebought lots of this and taken it overseas with me for years. As a stock powder without too much colour, try Frugola, also from Reform Haus.

It has no nasties in it (monosodium glutamate)

There is actually hardly any evidence whatsoever that MSG is actually bad for you. I mean, does everyone in China have a headache all the time? No. The fact that it is only known by it's chemical name, and does not have a nice friendly name like "salt" helps alot on this front of course. Everyone is super paranoid about food containing MSG, but quite honestly, it is very unfounded. It is only really bad when there is loads of it in something, which is also true of every day common sodium chloride (mixed with potassium chloride sometimes. Aaah! Potassium! We'll all blow up!" Scaaaaaaaared.)

I'm not too neurotic about what I eat, but that is something that I try to avoid all the time. I have read reports about research with rats that developed cancers directly resulting from Monosodium glutamate in their food.

I had a very good friend some years ago - she was our daughter's godmother. In her whole family and in the family of her husband, everybody, and I mean everybody, used Fondor on everything. If the meat was cooked, Fondor first. In the cabbage, Fondor. They all used it in just about everything they ate - I have never seen so much used in my life. And I have never met a family who had so many people dying of cancer. She also died of cancer.

So it is something that I try not to eat. ok? One or two internet info sites about MSG.

The physical symptoms caused by Monosodium Glutamate are migraines, nausea, digestive upsets, bad dreams, disturbed sleep, drowsiness, heart palpitations, hair loss, asthma, anaphylactic shock, rapidly increasing diabetes, and many other problems. Some of the other harmful effects are burning sensation and numbness in the back of the neck, forearms and chest. A feeling of itchiness, warmth and weakness in the face, upper back, neck and arms and also, chest pains, facial pressure or tightness, spontaneous ejaculation, bronchospasm (difficulty breathing), nausea, rapid heartbeat, weak pulse, violent dreams, drowsiness and weakness. www.blurtit.com/q921900.html

www.cbn.com/CBNnews/110755.aspx

www.cancerpreventionsociety.org/archivedNews2005.htm

Maultaschen are similar to perogies. Maultaschen are square, perogies are half round, fill varies as much as it does in Maultaschen.Ravioli similar.

Maultaschen are similar to perogies.

WHAT? Perogies are not similar! Ask a Pole or a Ukrainian... Maultaschen are pastey crap, while perogies are sweet goodness from the Slavic gods!

I'm not too neurotic about what I eat, but that is something that I try to avoid all the time. I have read reports about research with rats that developed cancers directly resulting from Monosodium glutamate in their food.

I had a very good friend some years ago - she was our daughter's godmother. In her whole family and in the family of her husband, everybody, and I mean everybody, used Fondor on everything. If the meat was cooked, Fondor first. In the cabbage, Fondor. They all used it in just about everything they ate - I have never seen so much used in my life. And I have never met a family who had so many people dying of cancer. She also died of cancer.

So it is something that I try not to eat. ok? One or two internet info sites about MSG.

[etc..]

I would buy this except that just about every savory packaged food out there seems to have some form of MSG (look for 'autolysed yeast extract', 'hydrolysed vegetable protein (HVP)' , 'sodium caseinate' or 'natural flavourings') and yet nobody complains about dorito headache, burger king headache, ranch dressing headache or campbell's soup headache. They weird thing about cancer is that sometimes it can also be genetic. As for rats, everything causes cancer in rats especially when you feed it to them in quantities 10 times their bodyweight.

Don't forget to mention for all the glutamate dreaders -

No more tomatoes for you!

No more cheese for you!

No more grape juice for you!

No more soy sauce for you!

No more eggs for you!

No more peas for you!

No more meat for you!

No more milk for you!

OK I'm stopping here just cause I'm tired, not because the list's ended.

Oh, and one more thing - don't forget when you have a baby, never ever feed it on mother's milk. Glutamate there too, whadaya know.

, spontaneous ejaculation,

what is that then? like your walking down the street and suddenly boooommm! oh pardon me madam ..sort of thing?

I hadn't noticed that! Basically just copied and pasted what looked like an interesting list. :D

You don't all have to get your knickers in a twist. I know that there is msg lots of food that make up the daily diet. I just think it is probably a good idea not to consciously add extra to the basically unavoidable.

Sanddorn... this is a new one to me. I've been putting it on my son's PB&J sandwiches, thinking it was rose hip spread or something (high in vit C), but I just looked it up and it's "sea buckthorn". First time in my life have I heard of this! Turns it's also high in Vit C, so I will stick with it. ;)

btw, thanks to everyone for the Maultaschen advice! I always likened them to ravioli.

Maultaschen can also be served with Bratensauce (a thinnish gravy) and topped with crispy fried onions.

Unlike most of the people above, I've actually lived in Stuttgart so if someone says that there's never any sauce, well it wouldn't be correct.

Shredding them and frying with egg or serving with broth are also acceptable. So there.

I"m making a basic chili in any case.

Spare-ribs in an herb crust, oven roasted potatoes and onions marinated in garlic-chilli oil and creamed carrots in a rosemary roux. Damn, it's great to have time for cooking again!

P.S. @ Katrina - Just because I haven't heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You had me at fried onions.

Hellllllppppp!

Right, i've got a hotch potch of ingredients and wondering what to do best with them.

Got 500g of beef mince, some red, green and yellow peppers, mushrooms, black beans in chilli sauce, basmati rice and tortilla warps.

In addition I have onions, a small tin of tomato puree and garlic but NO tin of chopped tomatos.

Now normally i'd be stuck between making a chilli and burritos but i'm worried that the lack of tinned tommies might kill the whole deal.

So, was thinking of frying off onions and garlic, adding mince to brown and then later chopping in some peppers and the black beans with the tin of puree for moisture and a glug or so of red wine to taste.

Maybe some mushrooms for volume.

Once ready serving it with tortillas and some hot salsa dip.

Can one of you gourmets tell me if this is going to work or will it be a unmitigated disaster without a tin of tomatoes in the mix?

It's the mushrooms that are the worrisome component.

Any herbs/spices going in or are you depending on the chili sauce only?