DKB Bank (Deutsche Kredit-Bank)

399 posts in this topic

well today I learned that German banks use the same companies American banks use for credit checks

Hello, I have a situation that I can't find elsewhere. I am a duel citizen USA/German but lived in the USA all my life. I would like to open a DKB bank account this summer in order to establish credit. In seven years I will earn a pension, and would like to have this account to deposit it into and a few years later, I would like to purchase an apartment in Germany and move there. The problem is, I don't think I can get a "Meldebestätigung" or "Aufenthaltsgenehmigung". Is there an alternative? I do have my German passport and US driver's licence as well as my US Passport. My driver's licence shows my address. Would these be sufficient?

Also, LOL, I only want to put 100 euros into the account until my pension kicks in, and just have it sit there. Am I over thinking this? I figure I'll be looking for a home loan in about 10 years, and that's why I want to establish credit there. Or is this something that wouldn't even help in the end?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Are you going to be opening the account from the US or on an upcoming trip to Germany?

From the US your only option really is to go to a German Consulate and have your identity certified by them, which entails

also providing a copy of whatever the US equivalent of a "Meldebestätigung" may be. The Consulate will certify that

as well and DKB should be happy with it as you have fully proven your residence as well as your identity.

The former has tax implications hence their refusal to open an account if you don't provide said proof. The downside of going to a Consulate is that their services are not for free and you will have to pay a fee.

If you do the PostIdent thing (possible only during a stay in Germany) since you will not provide a German Personalausweis

as proof of identity, but most likely your passport, then you will have to prove your residence separately.

As I failed to do so they contacted me and requested that I send a utility bill or a bank document from a foreign bank with

my name and address on it, which I did and promptly got my application approved without further hassle, despite having provided

a document which was obviously written neither in German nor in English.

I'm sure they won't bat an eye if you attach a utility bill or other paper in English.

Cheers,

Vale

Hi,

am I the only one here whose application got rejected?

I had applied to the DKB bank 2-3 months ago, with my application, salary slip, visa/passport copy everything that they needed. I have been living in Germany for a almost 6 years. Apart from the fact that my job contract is a Temporary contract, I dont see any reason why my application was rejected. Does anyone have a similar experience? Should I apply again?

cheers

You might want to apply for an account with SKG Bank . What they're offering is is very similar (if not identical) to DKB. While you're at it, it wouldn' hurt to resend an application to DKB. You never know...

Thank you for your help. I ended up dropping it for this trip (last July/August) but am still interested in doing this. I appreciate the information and may just go to the Consulate and do it from home :)

Thank you again!

Just a quick question for those whom are with DKB.

So to get free withdrawals (I don't like paying by card - too slow) I have to transfer money from my account to the VISA Credit Card each month and withdraw using that?

Also does anyone know of any DKB ATMs in Berlin? I was hoping to change my pin.

Melvo: You should actually keep most of your money in the visa account because that is the one you get the better interest. Then you use the visa card to withdraw.

I was hoping to change my pin.

Only some banks allow you to change the PIN at one of their ATMs (among them HypoVereinsbank), others like the Sparkasse do not.

But you can try, see here for a list of all DKB bricks and mortar branches.

Question. My brother has a DKB bank account.He resides in Greece now but he has all his money in that account. His name is the only one on it. If something happens to him what happens to the money? Are they lost? Do his next of kins get it? I know it's a weird question but i was just wondering .

His heirs would get it.

Case 1: If he left a testament, that would the persons named in the testament.

If he didn't leave a testament then the default inheritance rules from either Greek or German succession law would apply.

Case 2: Since he is Greek and lives in Greece, Greek succession law would apply, see here.

If he had been a resident of Germany at the time of his death, then the Greek succession law would have to be consulted to see whether it has an article pointing back to the country of residence if the person lives outside Greece.

Case 3: If yes, then German law would apply, please see here for the German succession rules.

The heirs would then have to apply to a Greek court to issue a certificate stating that they are the legal heirs.

In case 2 that would be called in German an Eigenrechtserbschein (succession certificate according to own law), in case 3 a Fremdrechtserbschein (succession certificate according to foreign law).

No idea what the Greek names are.

The heirs would then have to show that Greek certificate to the German bank to get the money.

Question. My brother has a DKB bank account.He resides in Greece now but he has all his money in that account. His name is the only one on it. If something happens to him what happens to the money? Are they lost? Do his next of kins get it? I know it's a weird question but i was just wondering .

Nothing strange with being prepared for the worst. He might consider filing a "Vollmacht im Todesfall" with DKB, just in case. With it, a named person (you, for example) can gain control of his account (after filing an authenticated copy of his death certificate) in case of his premature demise, but not before, without having to wait for the possibly lengthy proceedings to run their course. Keep in mind though that succession rules still apply, so if the named person uses his money for purposes other than to cover his funeral costs or to pay any outstanding debts and bills in the deceased's name, they will have to put said money back or risk being taken to court by the rightful heirs.

Cheers,

DG800

P.S.

Forgot to add that the named person must go through the same authentication and identification process as an account holder. On the other hand, they cannot refuse said person for any reason whatsoever, as they won't actually be jointly holding the account, so their usual approval rules and process do not apply.

I have two questions regarding DKB:

1. Can I use the DKB visa credit card for online shopping?

2. How can I add cash to the account if they only operate online?. I receive regular hard cash allowance as a student and I need to put it in the DKB account. How can I do that?

Does anyone have an answer to the above? also how easy is it to close an account? Also, how easy is it to deposit cash into the account?

1. Online shopping with their VISA card: yes, no problem.
  2. Cash deposits: not possible, it's a pure online bank and you aren't allowed to deposit money in their bricks-and-mortar branches
  3. Closing an account is easy, you just send them a signed letter asking them to close it in which you mention to which bank account they should transfer the remaining balance of your DKB account.

thanks for all the info on DKB. I'm looking to apply for an account soon but have a couple of quick questions.

1. Firstly am I understanding correctly by thinking that with DKB you get:

- an EC card (which should be used to buy stuff at shops which don't take Credit Card, and/or for when you don't have enough cash for said purchase), and

- a Visa credit card (not a debit card) which is where most of your money should be stored as it gets better interest applied. Cash should be taken out of (any? or a select range of?) ATMs for free when using the Visa card.

2. with HVB currently I get charged 0,90€ every month i forget to download my statement. Can someone confirm this won't happen at DKB?

3. Are joint accounts available (easily)?

4. Is it not possible at all to have just the one hybrid DEBIT card at DKB, rather than an EC card AND a Visa credit card? My old bank in Oz had this and was awesome only having 1 bank card in the wallet, and only having ONE online account to manage. If DKB doesn't offer this, does anyone know of another bank which currently does?

5. No branches in Bavaria/Munich, am I right? (not listed on that link above at least: http://www.optimal-banking.de/bank/dkb-filiale.php)

1. Cash deposits: not possible, it's a pure online bank and you aren't allowed to deposit money in their bricks-and-mortar branches

6. Is the best way to get cash into your account simply to give it to a family member to deposit into THEIR account, and to then transfer it electronically to YOUR DKB account?

thanks for all the info on DKB. I'm looking to apply for an account soon but have a couple of quick questions...

Recently managed to open an account successfully with DKB so I'm willing to share what I found :)

1. That is correct yes. The balance on the Visa card will be cleared from your EC card account on the 22nd of each month automatically. But you may do so manually at any time, and in fact you would want to keep most of your balance on the Visa card for the interest. The Visa card has free cash withdrawal worldwide and vast majority of ATMs in Germany regardless of ATM group. However some Sparkasse and Volksbank ATMs may refuse to serve DKB (and ING-Diba) Visa cards at all due to them thinking DKB is "leeching" off the network. DKB will also not charge you to withdraw from the EC card but using it at any non-DKB ATM will cause a fee to be charged by the operator since DKB does not belong to any ATM group. DKB themselves operate ATMs but those are few and far between.

2. By default the statement is online-only and is free. Only if you ask for statements to be posted will a fee be charged, at €1 per statement.

3. Joint account was one of the options when applying so I assume so.

4. ING-Diba and Comdirect's Visa cards are both debit cards linked to the same account as their EC cards but they are still separate cards. At most banks you can ask for an EC card only which will work for all purposes in Germany. However they don't work so well abroad because they are usually branded as Maestro cards rather than the ubiquitous MasterCard/Visa. For DKB though you can do almost everything by just carrying your Visa card (except for shops that only accept EC) and you'd want to put most of your money on that card anyway.

5. No retail branches anywhere. They have pulled out of the high-street retail business. The branches they have no longer deal with walk-in customers.

6. Yes that's is possible (for any bank account in general). You can also open an account at another bank with branches, even if it's a simple Tagesgeld or SparCard savings account which accepts cash deposits, and pay money into that and then transfer using the DKB account as the reference account. Free current accounts that accept cash deposits also work well for this purpose, for example Norisbank and Comdirect.

I'm thinking of opening an account with DKB. It seems perfect for my needs, in particular the worldwide free withdrawals.

I'm disapppointed with the Postbank, which I opened a few months ago, and would like to change. My questions are these:

is it possible to transfer money online from the normal account to the Visa account? (If there's a way to do this on my PB then it is extremely obscure!)

How long does it take until such transferred money is available on the Visa card?

Does one have to pay in a certain amount per month to get the free banking?

Thanks in advance!

is it possible to transfer money online from the normal account to the Visa account? (If there's a way to do this on my PB then it is extremely obscure!)

Yes, you just choose "Neue Überweisung" and then you have the choice to transfer either to an external account or to your Visa account (marked with the red arrow):

post-24869-13489194929781.jpg

How long does it take until such transferred money is available on the Visa card?

It will be in the Visa account the next banking day, e.g. if you transfer on Friday it will be in the account on Monday.

If you transfer on Monday, it will arrive on Tuesday, and so on.

However, whether it will be shown as having arrived is another matter:

• "Die Gutschrift auf Ihrer DKB-VISA-Card wird in jedem Fall am folgenden Bankarbeitstag erfolgen.
    Die Anzeige im Internet-Banking kann hierbei zeitversetzt erfolgen."

Does one have to pay in a certain amount per month to get the free banking?

No, but DKB is notorious for refusing people on low incomes, so you might want to revise your estimate of your monthly income upwards when filling in the application form.