DKB Bank (Deutsche Kredit-Bank)

399 posts in this topic

Odd... I phoned one of their dollies just the other day before opening an account with them and she said it would be possible to answer questions in English...

They normally answer questions in English but anything that has a legal implication must be done in German. At least that's my experience.

Have just opened/about to open a DKB account Couple of questions regarding this:

1) Can I easily transfer money back to the UK?

2) Can I just use my VISA like a current account like I would in the UK? basically not use my Maestro and put all my wages etc etc in my VISA card and use it in shops, restaurants and all cash machines? I dont want it so that at the end of the month I get a "bill" for my Visa and transfer the cash from my Maestro(like it was with Deutsche Bank

anyone know the answer to these 2?

Thanks

yes, you can transfer money to the UK - you'll need the IBAN for the receiving account, and there may be some charges incurred as well as the currency conversion

you need the Giro account in order to have your pay and other money transferred into and for setting up direct debits, standard orders, making bank transfers etc. In terms of getting cash out, yes you can just put the money on the Visa-Sparkonto and get it out using your Visa card and never use the EC/Maestro card - but you will find that many/most shops do not accept Visa but will accept EC so unless you want to pay for everything in cash then you will need to use your EC card too. So in reality, you need to use both bits of the account, but probably leave more money on the Visa-savings bit as that gets some interest, and you can always quickly transfer it back to the giro account if needed.

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding a DKB VISA card. Is it a proper credit card or is it a debit one? I mean whether the money will be taken from your account right away when you are paying with the DKB visa card or later on (for example in the end of the month)? I guess it is stated on the website that an "abrechnungstag" is 22nd of the month. But I'm not sure for what this "abrechnungstag" is.

if it states an "Abrechnungstag", whatever you have paid with the card will be collected from you monthly a couple of days after the day of "Abrechnungstag". Thus, in German understanding, it is a real credit card (whereas people from the US might not consider it to be a real credit card at all if the full amount drawn with the card it to be repaid monthly).

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Wann wird meine DKB-VISA-Card abgerechnet? Wann erfolgt die Abbuchung von meinem Internet-Konto?

Die Abrechnung der Umsätze Ihrer DKB-VISA-Card erfolgt zum 22. eines Monats. Sofern Sie Ihr Kreditkartenlimit in Anspruch genommen haben, wird der Betrag in einer Summe von Ihrem Internet-Konto eingezogen (keine Rückzahlung in Raten möglich).

Bei einem vorhandenen Guthaben auf Ihrem DKB-VISA-Card-Guthabenkonto wird ein eingehender Rechnungsbetrag bzw. eine Bargeldverfügung sofort mit Ihrem Guthaben verrechnet.

So if I understood what's written above correctly. If I pay with my credit card or withdraw the money from ATM using the credit card and I DON'T have money on my DKB creditcard account, then I have time till 22nd of the month before the bank collects the money from my internet account, but if I DO have money on my creditcard account, then the bank collects them from my DKB creditcard account right away (maybe it takes 1-2 days due to the transactions). Is it correct?

there is a difference whether you pay with your card or withdraw money from an ATM. If you withdraw many from an ATM, usually your bank account is debited the next day. Only if you pay with your credit card will the total amount of your payments be collected after the 22nd from your account in one lump sum. I am not sure why anyone would have a "Gutahben" on their credit card acccount, which is why I do not understand the question, sorry

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I am not sure why anyone would have a "Gutahben" on their credit card acccount, which is why I do not understand the question, sorry

Cheerio

Because DKB give interest on the balance in the VISA account. So you have to keep your big chunk of money in the VISA and a little bit in the Internet Konto.

That's right. You have 3.8% interest on the balance of the creditcard account and 0.5% on the internet one! Anyway, I was only worried about the credit card that DKB offers you free of charge. I wasn't sure it was the real credit card, not the debit one. Thought about getting the proper credit card at the other bank. It would be nice to have one, especially if you go on a business trip when you need to pay hips of money for a hotel, a car, etc.

2Starshollow: Thanks a lot, mate for your replies.

if you go on a business trip when you need to pay hips of money for a hotel, a car, etc.

If you receive your salary in your DKB you will have a 1x or 2x limit in your VISA. If you do not get your salary there, you will be stuck to 500e.

In our company we got Amex for business trips because you get a little more time to make the payments, giving you time to organize traveling expenses and getting back the money.

Edit: Depending where you are traveling, DKB might be a very bad choice. Out of the Euro zone you have to pay commission every time you use the VISA card. I do not remember exactly, but it is something like 1.5%

Edit: Depending where you are traveling, DKB might be a very bad choice. Out of the Euro zone you have to pay commission every time you use the VISA card. I do not remember exactly, but it is something like 1.5%

except for withdrawing cash, which is commission free worldwide.

Yes. I find it very weird. You have to pay commission if you use the card in a shop, but you can go to the ATM and withdraw the money. Annoying.

If you receive your salary in your DKB you will have a 1x or 2x limit in your VISA. If you do not get your salary there, you will be stuck to 500e.

In our company we got Amex for business trips because you get a little more time to make the payments, giving you time to organize traveling expenses and getting back the money.

Most of the banks charge extra fees for exchanging currencies on both withdrawing cashes and usages in shops. DKB at least doesn't charge for cashing from ATMs.

Im having problems trying to register for an account. After filling the information on the first page, I get sent to this page which say:

"Kontoinhaber – weitere Angaben

Bitte ergänzen Sie wenn möglich eine deutsche Voranschrift der letzten 5 Jahre: "

translates to:

Owner of an account - further data Please supplement if possible a German Voranschrift of the last 5 years:

The form following this message requires me to fill in an address. After translating the above sentence using babelfish, I still can't quite make out what they want. I tried filling in my current residential address as well as my address back home, but it won't allow me to submit.

Does anyone have any idea what is this asking for?

Not absolutely sure and couldn't turn up anything in a quick online search, but it sounds like they want a previous address in Germany in the past five years (so they can do Schufa checks, etc.).

Ahh I see, but I have just arrived in Germany 3 weeks ago, so I don't have a previous address. And when i try to submit the form without filling the fields, they wouldn't let me proceed.

if you can't put your previous home (not in Germany) address in the field for previous addresses, try just putting "keine" or similar - not everyone will have moved in the last 5 years so they really should be able to accept a no value in that field (although of course not in the field for your current address!).

Incidentally, the interest rate for positive balances on the DKB Visa card has been dropped to 2.55%. Hardly surprising, given how central bank rates have dropped - more surprising is that it's taken them so long to make the reduction.

Ahh I see, but I have just arrived in Germany 3 weeks ago, so I don't have a previous address. And when i try to submit the form without filling the fields, they wouldn't let me proceed.

Enter your actual previous address. It doesn't need to be a German address.