Suggested gifts to take to the UK from Germany

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im flying home tomorrow for the weekend and my suitcase is empty but i need to take it home to bring stuff back...so im thinking i might aswell use the extra space to bring back some gifts or anything german ( a friend who used to live in germany wants some cheesecake but i dont know if i can put that in the suitcase without it getting seriously damaged lol)...what can i get that wont get damaged on the way home (it will be in my checked luggage)...anything really just something to fill the space :D

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks! :)

are you only taking one suitcase? Could you place another suitcase in that suitcase to bring more stuff back?

I always fly home with one suitcase, and have my rucksack and then some clothes and some gifts all packed in, then I have my suitcase and my rucksack to bring stuff back in.

WOW!!!...what a wonderful opportunity to add my request.

We're flying home on December 9th and I fill our empty suitcases with clothes, curtians, shoes , toys etc to give to the less fortunate.

Not bulky stuff...but good second-hand things.

Home is in South Africa...so if you have stuff lying around and cannot find proper charity shops...I'm the one to contact.

My husband and I will pick-up...if you're not too far away.

We could supply you with pictures of the people you made happy with your throw-aways.

We live in Trudering.

The stuff we have around the house can fill one suitcase...one to go

Mrs Tom34

Hi, sorry going back home to london...umm dont really have anything now as i just got here and am in the process of moving stuff from london to here, however when i leave next year im sure i will have picked up some stuff that i can donate...shall i contact you then?

dont have another suitcase with me lol :P umm was really hoping for some more suggestions for gifts that wont get damaged?

danke!

food.

clothes

beer

beer glasses (wrap them up).

don't say you can't import food. what they don't know you can get away with!

Hi Mrs Tom, i have some baby stuff, clothes etc to give away, i don't feel right selling it so would like to give it to charity, i was about to start looking for some charity shops but i like you're idea, if you could drop me a quick PM the next time you're going home i would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Sarah :)

Lebkuchen and Stollen should travel well enough.

lebkuchen is great, but be careful, stollen is very heavy in your bag, and if its a really good make, they cannot see what it is on an xray machine, they opened my suitcase last year at christmas to check the stollen in my bag.

apparently it doens't xray too well, so they want to check it out. When I arrived home last year, I had a note in my Suitcase from the Bavarian Something or other, that they opened my suitcase in Munich as all things were not indentifiable on the xray, since I only has a few peices of clothes, some chocolate, and 7 maß glasses and the stollen... having taken all the other things over the boarder before, makes one wonder. But nothing was out of place and they did leave me a note, and not damage the lock on my suitcase. I was happy.

hi guys, thanks for your replies...just one more quick question...i just googled stollen and lebkuchen and wikipedia told me that they are both christmas cakes.. am i able to buy them now?>

A cuckoo clock! Or is that too cheesy.

Where can you buy a good cuckoo clock? Most Germans turn up their nose and snort at the mention of giving a cuckoo clock as a gift.

Also, as an American...illegal Cuban cigars and real French champagne. Hide the cigars very well and hope no one searches the luggage. But I guess those things are available in England.

For chocolates and Lebkuchen, go to the food department of a store like Karstadt or Kaufhof. I think it's not yet time for Stollen, which gets dry pretty soon. If you are looking for boxes of high quality German chocolate, there's for example Feodora or Hachez (though I have to admit that nothing beats Swiss chocolate). A specialty would also be Niederegger Marzipan.

WOW!!!...what a wonderful opportunity to add my request.

We're flying home on December 9th and I fill our empty suitcases with clothes, curtians, shoes , toys etc to give to the less fortunate.

Not bulky stuff...but good second-hand things.

Home is in South Africa...so if you have stuff lying around and cannot find proper charity shops...I'm the one to contact.

My husband and I will pick-up...if you're not too far away.

We could supply you with pictures of the people you made happy with your throw-aways.

We live in Trudering.

The stuff we have around the house can fill one suitcase...one to go

Mrs Tom34

Something I have been doing too but unfortunately, long distance flights don't allow more than 20 kgs. If you will let me know, perhaps I could organise things to be sent.

If you know a knitter they'd appreciate some sock yarn - you have far more choice than anywhere else. Apart from that those nice Lindt Christmas Trufflles - oh and Dr Hauschka skincare is way cheaper in Germany

Modern cuckoo clocks are less cumbersome and can usually fit in suit cases without any problem. The design is quite a bit different than hand carved cuckoo clocks, which tend to be bigger.