Selling a house in the UK from Germany

125 posts in this topic

Hi,

At the moment wife is in Germany and registered as a tax payer since 1st Nov 2008. I am still in the UK and will be moving over in about 6 weeks. We have sold our house in England and transfered the money over to purchase another house. Will we be taxed on the money that we transfered over. Please help. We have already signed the kaufvertrag and the sale is moving forward. We need the money to complete the sale.

Fixed assets, such as houses, are taxed in the state they're located in (at least under the UK-Germany DTA). So your sale is liable for tax in the UK and not in Germany. Presumably then because it's your primary residence, the tax rate in the UK is zero.

You will probably need to declare your money import to the Finanzamt, depending on the amount (that will be the meaning of the little sentence on your Kontoauszug about Meldepflicht). It being inter-EU means, I think, that there are no restrictions. I would ask the bank or a Berater about this.

In any case, since you're still living in the UK, you will be viewed as non-taxable in Germany anyway, regardless. So no need to worry.

I'm with the last point. No need to declare the transfer of money. Any interest earned after your move date will fall within German tax scope. I was asked by Finanzamt about the source of my cash for my home purchase - they pick it up from sales tax payment. But that's easy to answer. Keep copies of record of the money flow - solicitor's settlement statements, bank tatements of recevining the cash in the UK, moving it to Germany etc - and supply if neeeded.