Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German / American Salary Comparison

5 posts in this topic

I’m considering interviewing for a job in Munich, and I’m researching salary comparison between that area and my former home in the San Francisco Bay Area (I’m temporarily living in the area of Vienna, Austria). I’m curious if some of the data I’ve collected appear to make sense to those already living in Munich.

The site HomeFair.com compares salaries as follows (in US dollars, I presume) between San Jose, California (SJ; the nearest city in their list to my former home in Mountain View) and Munich, Germany (M): $50K SJ = $36,872 M, $75K SJ = $55,308 M, and $100K SJ = $73,744 M.

Converting those presumedly US$ amounts to Euros using today’s exchange rate gives €33.921, €50.881, and €67.842.

Certainly such arbitrary numbers must be taken with a grain of salt, but does this comparison ring reasonably true with any of you?

Thanks very much.

Look at a previous topic discussed on this board Cost of living in Munich as a Student for general cost of living in Munich. You can get a high end price range for the type of apartment you would want by looking at mrlodge.de or Liz Frey Relocation. You can then calculate a little budget for yourself, but keep in mind that about 40% of your salary will go to health insurance and taxes!

Best of luck.

but the tax rates are coming down as per 1 jan, which will give you an additional € 1,350 a year for the first 50k and € 70 for every € 1,000 above that

Ah, well, the opportunity disappeared anyway. Thanks for the responses, all the same.