Real estate and property lawyers in Berlin

22 posts in this topic

I am looking at investing in German property and have done loads of research, however I am struggling to find a real estate lawyer with reasonable fees.

I have been in e-mail contact with a few lawyers I have sourced on the internet but most seem expensive. I did find a lawyer called Nicolas Zimmer who's fees seemed very reasonable when compared to all others. He has also had an article in the Irish Times which was very useful. Has any body used him to be able to recommend him. Does anybody know of any other real estate lawyers with reasonable fees.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Eagle

German lawyer with reasonable fees.

That's like looking for a whore with a heart.

Claudia Mummenhoff - She's good: English-speaking, used to work for the Treuhand, was involved in the negotiations for the land for the Canadian Embassy. She's helped me resolve a couple of small real estate-related problems. I believe a German lawyer's fees are largely determined by a rate schedule according to the gross value of the issue at hand, rather than an hourly rate like in our culture. Anyway I found Claudia's fees to be not unreasonable.

+4930 2039-2511

claudia.mummenhoff (at) mummenhoff.net

Wallstr. 15-15A

10179 Berlin

Billp,

Thanks for the lawyer details, I will make contact with her.

Eagle.

I am being encouraged to get involved in an appeal against a planning decision for the house I own a flat in. Can anyone recommend an English speaking lawyer in Berlin who can advise of the potential consequences of getting involved in such a thing?

Thanks

Topics merged by admin

Can anyone recommend a good German property lawyer? I will be buying here for the first time and although I more or less understand things, I am looking to hire a lawyer to accompany the deal and make sure everything is above board and the best deal for me, with no unpleasant surprises in the fine print that I am not handy enough at German to spot myself. So first priority would be someone who does not mind communicating with me in English (or my torturously slow high-school German). Also someone who can give general consultations, like explaining such technicalities as buying when there is already a tenant renting, for example.

Has anyone bought here? I would think most people here rent.

Topics merged by admin

It takes a long time from signing contracts to your name going in the Grundbuch, app 9 months at the moment.

We bought a house this year. It took 4 months since the day we signed the contract until the day the property was finally under our name in the Grundbuch. And it could be shortened, but we took too long to pay the house itself and later to pay the taxes. The whole process can be reduced to about 6 weeks if you are in a hurry.

I recommend Bernd Kleiter. He's a super nice guy, speaks English, is extremely good, and reliable. I think he passed the bar in the US, too, or at least got a law degree there as well as in Germany. He does a lot of work in real estate.

I can recommend the following real estate lawyers:

Kai von Blottnitz, vblottnitz@advokath.de

Nicolas Zimmer, nicolas.zimmer@zimmerlegal.com

Christian Zander, ra-zander@web.de

I can say that all three offer very reasonable prices and will provide a fixed fee so you know exactly what your costs are and all three are conversant in English.

I have spoken to Nicolas Zimmer who was most helpful but was very busy and therefore unable to take on my case. I have also had communication with Christian Zander who was recommended by Nicolas Zimmer who again was very helpful.

I can certainly recommend Kai von Blottnitz who I have personally used and will be using again in the future. Kai von Blottnitz was polite and very helpful and both speaks and writes excellent English. He is also able to provide a surveyor at a reasonable cost who will conduct a building survey so that you are aware of the condition of the property that you are buying and will also advise on any existing tenancy agreements already in place.

You can also find a list of lawyers for various disciplines on www.anwalt24.de/suche/rechtsanwalt-berlin

Hmmm, maybe it's area dependent. I paid everything as soon as requested and it took 9 months.

Someone is too slow, either your lawyer or your Notar :ph34r:

Hi,

Is the real estate lawyer a MUST step or will the sollicitor (notar) scrutinise the case and let you know if there is something wrong (e.g. debts to be paid by the selling landlord)? What would the lawyer assist the buyer on and what would be the cost?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Any updated suggestions on real estate lawyers who speak English?

I have used this company and was very happy with the service received - prompt, efficient and well priced.

Dr. Friedrich Wichert

WMRC Rechtsanwälte

Chausseestr. 5

10115 Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 28 88 48 3-0

Fax: +49 30 28 88 48 3-10

www.wmrc.de

Hello,

an additional question: what would be the fee a lawyer would charge to support the buyer in the property purchasing process? I can imagine the fee could vary but if someone can share his / her experience, just to have an idea.

Many thanks

It depends on what the lawyer is supposed to be doing for you. Their fee will be a fixed hourly rate based on the value of the property. In Germany, lawyers play a much more subordinate role than in The UK/US - In fact if the seller draws up the contract and its a straighforward freehold sale you don't actually even need one if you can read the legal German - The important guy here is the Notar. Expect Lawyer/Notary fees to be around 2% of the purchase price.