Transrapid secures financing, building to go ahead

117 posts in this topic

It seems as if the Transrapid has finally secured financing and will be built according to this SZ article I just read.

Stoiber gets his going away present. A press conference is being held right now highlighting the details, so more to come soon.

See related topic: Transrapid rail-link to Munich airport

Transrapid is a proposed high-speed rail link between Munich central station (Hauptbahnhof) and Munich Airport. This magnetic levitation "flying train" will travel the 37km journey in just 10 minutes reaching a top speed of 500 km/h (310 mph). The first trains were scheduled to run in 2009 with a frequency of every 10 minutes. This will make getting to the airport an absolute dream. It's not certain, however, that the project will actually go ahead. The estimated cost of the Transrapid link is a massive €1.6 billion. Of course many people think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

post-16-1190792507.jpg

Stoiber has reckoned without Ude, who is dead against this and up for re-election next year. Matter of fact, Stoiber gave Ude a big present for his election platform.

Can't say I am for the project to be honest, but you can't deny the prestigiousness of it and the side effects that might have for the high-tech sector here.

Especially as the city council is the Gesellschafter for the airport and the Transrapid will need airport investment...

Still think the thing would be well cool (and I care not a jot about Dragondale, sorry).

I was on the one in Shanghai. total disappointment. yeah, it's fast, but worth the money?

Gov't pork at it's worse. looks like our town will be a major baustelle for time to come.

They should lower taxes instead of buying crap like this.

Nothing against the prestigiousness of this project about 800m from my bedroom window and its effects on the high-tech sector but it won't put bread on my table or a decent butcher within walking distance. More infrastructure and less ego-tripping.

I totally agree. That and the fact that an express sbahn would pretty much be just as fast. But we've been through all this already :)

high-tech sector? I don't get it. Seriously, I honestly can't say how this improves the city at all. I agree... lower taxes and you'll do wonders for the high-tech sector, as well as any other sector.

Do people really think: "Finally, it only takes 10 minutes to get to the airport, now I'll go ahead with that start-up" :blink:

You are right... which is the classic problem of Federally funded projects (see ear marks in the US)... It costs the individual states/cities/towns nearly nothing, because it is being funded by "the government". So take as much as you can. Of course, everyone does this, and then everyone's taxes go up.

Has it suddenly changed over the weekend then?

I'm sure I read in the SZ on Saturday that they are running two set of books anyway.

The costs they are making public as they go round various sections of government with the begging bowl and the REAL costs.

There remains a huge gap in the finances.

Wouldn't it be dreadful if it became a key issues in next year's elections and Munich City Council cut off any funding or planning permission! :lol:

It gets your voice across, which is more than posting on Toytown will do, oder? If enough people vote against it on a radio pole, it might persuade the powers that be that we should think about a referendum on it.

You are right on that Mr A, what I meant was, is that the NO options are split across 2 possibilities.

One that it is a waste of money and that money could be better invested elsewhere or that an Express S Bahn is the solution.

Referenda are with Vorsicht zu geniessen... :ph34r:

As of now the "YES, I love the Transrapid" votes are at 49%... Me thinks somebodys playing with the votes..

Of all the people you have said No TR, and have complained about it for the last 2 years I find it hard to belive that 49%

still voted yes.. Stoibers office monkeys must be taking the poll and hitting the refresh button ever 2 seconds.

It says on the pole that double votes will be discounted, quite how I don't know, however, all the more reason for those against to get voting!

High Tech my arse, the thing is 30 years old, I highly doubt that it´s a German innovation, was there not one at Gatwick ages ago that got binned cos it was a waste of space? Just a waste of money in my opinion. :blink:

You are right SK, the technology IS 30 odd years old.

A LOT of your money and my money has already gone into this technology.

The BIG firms behind it are bleating they need a reference project to be able to export the technology despite there being one in Shanghai.

There are roles for people movers that run on magnet technology, short distances between airport terminals is an ideal example.

But not a fast longer distance link that is going to cost a fortune to build and to ride on for very marginal results.

I don't want to appear metropolitan snobby but I bet a lot of these yes votes are from peple who don't live in Munich area or specificly along the route

and are just tempted by how "sexy" it sounds.

In 20 years time when they have replaced the current technology with room temperature superconductors you will all be sorry you did not invest. I made a fortune on the Channel tunnel due to it's huge financial success, another sure thing investment.

PS what a confused load of twaddle that was but I've started so I'll finish so there.