Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best banks for opening a joint account

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a tip/experience/opinion on the best bank to open a joint account with my boyfriend for the payment of rent, bills etc.

I am thinking about the Commerzbank free account at the moment. From what I gather account is free as long as 1200€ goes in the every month (not a problem).

I was with the Commerzbank for years but changed about 18 months ago to the Postbank as the free account seemed like a better offer. But since then Commerzbank have also introduced a free accoubnt. Actually I think I prefer the online banking with the Postbank from what the Commerzbank used to be. But perhaps this has changed.

So I am trying to decide between a Postbank or Commerzbank account. What would you pick? Or do you recommend a better one? We only really want to go with a Cashgroup bank due to convenience of machines etc.

Also am I right to assume that a joint account gives you 2 EC cards or does that cost extra?

Hi,

I have a free account with Commerzbank and the online banking is pretty good (but sure what is was like before though).

My husband and I also have a joint account at Deutsche bank. We got 2 EC cards, but we have to pay 8E/year for the second one - there was an account option to have 2 cards, but it was 10E/month vs 5/month, so I figured to pay an extra 8E a year and save 5E/month is not too bad.

Hope this helps,

Ash

We only really want to go with a Cashgroup bank due to convenience of machines etc.

Why not go with a bank that has an even larger ATM network? ;)

Evening all, Mrs. Angel and I are looking to set up a joint bank account and were wondering if anyone has tales to tell of wonderful service from any of the available banks. We both work and will have both our salaries paid into this account so we feel pretty confident we should be able to get a decent service from one bank or another although a brief trip round some banks, just walking in, last week didn't reveal any great excitement on the part of the banks we tried.

I'm with Citibank currently, have been for years, and really have never had trouble with them and they also have a pretty cool Visa card thing that you can get cash from any ATM on the planet free of charge which is pretty handy as we travel around Eurozone a bit. Does anyone know of another bank that has this? Mrs. A is with Dresdner and is also pretty happy.

All helpful suggestions welcome...

Thanks for the suggestion, it occurred to me while cycling to work that maybe the non-high street banks like Consors maybe have better service. Will try calling round.

Comdirect is pretty good as an Internet bank. We'll see if they're affected by the forthcoming takeover of Dresdner or not.

We have a joint savings account with Consors and I find their website pretty poor compared to Comdirect, though of course it's not a direct comparison.

It looks like we'll go with DKB as they tick all our boxes.

One further question: When we switch both our accounts to one will the banks sort out redirecting our automatic monthly payments for us (like happens in the UK) or will we have to do it?

Unfortunately HellesAngel has been around these parts for years. Personally, I can recommend comdirect though.