Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Comparing life in Frankfurt vs. Wiesbaden

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been offered a job in Wiesbaden. I've been told that the visa office in Wiesbaden is known to give only 6 months' (work) visa so my chances are better in Frankfurt. However, as I don't own a car, that would mean a 1.5 hours commute each way to work.

My questions for Wiesbaden are:

1. Should I just live in Wiesbaden and pray that the visa office will issue me a longer visa??

2. I know that Wiesbaden is smaller, prettier and "richer" but is it too small i.e. not much happening??

3. Are there English movies?

4. Are there Asian (ingredient) stores there?

5. Which area(s) are recommended to live? I need close to public transport, close to shops and banks.

Questions for Frankfurt are:

1. Which area(s) are closest to Wiesbaden with good (public) connection to Wiesbaden?

Many thanks!

Questions for Frankfurt are:

1. Which area(s) are close to (public) connection to Wiesbaden?

Many thanks!

The public connections to Wiesbaden isn't too bad- I think there are 2 (maybe 3) S-bahns that go there of a morning and they go through all the main stations through the city- Hauptwache, Konstablerwache and the Hauptbahnhof... and all 3 of these are in easy reach of most other areas.

I have quite a few colleagues that live out in Wiesbaden and commute into Frankfurt so I guess the journey itself can't be that bad and you could get a monthly card to use on all public transport that would reduce the costs.

I don't know what really there is in Wieasbaden so can't help on the other questions...

Hi frizzyjen, your profile states "Bockenheim". On the map, it seems to be "on the way" to Wiesbaden and I read that it's "student-y". Is it a nice area? Can you tell me more about this area?

And I should ask "which area(s) in Frankfurt are closest to Wiesbaden with good (public) connection to Wiesbaden?

Its in that direction but it's not exactly on the way... here's a map of the train network that you might find useful to see what's where on the way etc.

I like Bockenheim and have found it quite lively, lots of fresh grocery shops, bits and bobs shops, supermarkets, the uni, a fair few bars and restaurants that are really nice and it's fairly well connected transport-wise.

Another place that's good for bars and restaurants (although personally i find it not so good for little shops and the same atmosphere, though does tend to be mroe international) is Bornheim- may be worth a look...

I live in Wiesbaden in the West End and although its a smaller city than Frankfurt,there is plenty to see and do.

1. No idea about your visa info?

2. Theres plenty to see and do, be it,exploring the city,sight seeing etc...There are some nice bars,pubs (traditional and modern styles) in the Stadt Mitte and theres a few night clubs and larger bars, with live DJs, but no as much as Frankfurt has to offer. Theres also nice restaurants, beers gardens. Varied shops from your normal H&M,Zara etc...to more exclusive boutiques.

3. There are 2 cinemas that show English sound movies, think its a Wed night they show them.

4. Theres an abundance of Asian,Turkish stores selling fresh veg/fruit and spices/herbs.

5. I prefer the West End or the Mitte myself, dont know what the other ares are like, Sonnenbergs nice. The travel system in Germany (Wiesbaden) is good, and most things run on time, getting to the Banhof from where you live in Wiesbaden shouldnt be a problem.

Hope that helps a little.

Scott

My questions for Wiesbaden are:

1. Should I just live in Wiesbaden and pray that the visa office will issue me a longer visa??

How the hell can anyone but yourself decide that?

2. I know that Wiesbaden is smaller, prettier and "richer" but is it too small i.e. not much happening??

Depends what you are looking for. One thing I appreciate about living in Wiesbaden compared to Frankfurt is the close proximity to lots of green space to go running and cycling.

Does it have cutting edge dance clubs? No. Does it have enough variety of bars, clubs and restaurants for you not to end up going to the same places every time you go out? Yes. If you are looking for a college town atmosphere then I would suggest living in Mainz. It is nearer to Wiesbaden than Frankfurt is and because it has a large university it has more lively nightlife. Mainz itself though is not as nice aesthetically as Wiesbaden and the city centre is smaller, and it has a few more social ills that go together with any medium sized industrial city.

3. Are there English movies?

No, you have to go to Frankfurt for that. Not an issue for me because i rarely go to the cinema, but if you like to watch films every week then it could be a grind!

4. Are there Asian (ingredient) stores there?

Yes

5. Which area(s) are recommended to live? I need close to public transport, close to shops and banks.

The city centre is nice (and safe!!) unlike most UK and US cities. Other nice areas are Sonnenberg, Nerotal (lovely but expensive), the Rheingauviertel and SOME parts of Biebrich. Public transport in all German cities is frequent, clean and cheap so not really an issue unless you live out in the sticks.

I wouldn't recommend commuting between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt if you have the choice. It's easier to settle in when you can concentrate on one city.

Granted the S-Bahn ride from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof to Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof only takes 45 min., but if you don't live and work next to the railway, it adds up, and it's lost time in crowded trains during rush hours. When you want to meet work colleagues in the evening, you depend on the S-Bahn timetable.

I also can't really imagine there being different standards with the Aufenthaltsgenehmigung in Wiesbaden and Frankfurt.

3. There are 2 cinemas that show English sound movies, think its a Wed night they show them.

There are 3 cinemas in Wiesbaden showing English movies this week according to this great site (but probably he should change the title to Rhein-Main as Mainz and Darmstadt are also included):

Frankfurt International Film Listing

Hey, thanks yall! Living in Wiesbaden is the logical choice :) Is there any TT-events there? If yes, I hope to meet you soon!

Good choice to chose Wiesbaden over Frankfurt. I love Wiesbaden! It was thre first place I lived when I came here 10 years ago and I still go back at least once or twice a month. I hope you are happy there.

I hated Wiesbaden too small..too provincial...

Prefered frankfurt...better nightlife..My Wiesbaden friends and girlfriend never went out there: they would come into Ffm. Funnily enough they prefer Wiesbaden for living i.e. greener better alt bau apartments but liked ffm for the nightlife...restaurants, clubs, bars and scene. Okay a few of them were Gay friends so I can imagine the gay scene in Wiesbaden is not adding up to much!!!

The clubs suck in Mainz as well in my humble opinion... there was one good house club but in general the studenty atmosphere was not my thing. All in All, I loved Frankfurt had a ball once you find your places and peope...

So as has been mentioned before...it depends what you want...