Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Independent Scotland and the EU

79 posts in this topic

interesting , especially what could happen to the Scottish farmers if there were to be a period of non EU membership

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1497442007

the scotsman

“That application process would be much easier than for the new accession states because Scotland has been in the EU for 30 years, but it would probably take months, maybe even years, to complete, with all the other member states having to approve the country's membership before it could join.

The link didn't work so I can't read the article.

Was the article written by someone who is pro Union? Then maybe it is scaremongering. If Scotland was granted independence, I'm sure the English government would act as some sort of guarantor and this would allow a smooth transition into the EU saving Scotland from a period of non membership.

I'm sure the English government would act as some sort of guarantor

So South East England should continue to subsidise what would then be a foreign state?

I can't see that happening easily.

If people in Scotland want to go it alone then that is their choice. But on their own two feet.

so somebody who himself admits he has no say in the matter and isn't competent to make such a decision states that unequivocally, in his opinion (???) Scotland would have to apply.

Well that sounds very definite...

I seriously doubt they would have to reapply. England would make sure of that. There is no benefit in having a economicly crippled Scotland north of the boarder, with masses of cheap unemployed labour streaming down from the glens and inbalancing the job market. (that would happen in time anyway but a Scotland out of the EU would be chaos)

"If people in Scotland want to go it alone then that is their choice. But on their own two feet."

That´ll be the two feet that have supported the British economy for years with our oil then I take it?

Don´t start me, just don´t start me.

And England would need to re-apply too and having no resources would fail to get in! :P

SK, I honestly don't know if UK government revenues from Scotland's oil are higher or lower than the subsidies South East England effectively pays to Scotland.

The oil is declining now but Scotland's long term need / desire for "big government" isn't.

I just think the pro-independence camp is offering too rosy a picture of what the future might be like.

When you take pills and go in a dark room, you are meant to throw shapes to the music and go WOW to the visuals.

If you have to lie down, you are bit over munted. :ph34r:

@monkstown

Reading between the lines, I get the impression you think the SE of England also props up the rest of the UK?

DerE, that is a fairly blunt way of saying it but to a large extent, yes.

Thats not me being a "we subsidise the feckless friends in the north" Tory, Gott bewahre! B)

You can't deny that that is where are the money is, I mean in London alone I wonder what percentage of the UK economy that stakes?

what percentage of the London economy is actually British owned ( foreign investment banks ,property and so on )

but isn't that economy reliant to an extent on its hinterland?

Probably to an extent, but what extent? I think London is more reliant on the rest of the world.

what percentage of the London economy is actually British owned ( foreign investment banks ,property and so on )

I think you can say that about the whole world economy these days, who owns what? Most things are multi-national. Off the top of my head I know that a British company owns Becks Brewery, one British company owns Smith and Wesson, Daimler Chrysler owns Mercedes and so on and so forth.

And England would need to re-apply too and having no resources would fail to get in!

England as a post-industrial service based market economy has all the resources it needs.