Bees crawling all over the sweets in bakeries

74 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, niconova said:

I guess it's a bit of growing up in a different culture. to me: dogs are dirty. We do however agree on the kids issue! ;-)

Which culture did you go grow up in? A city where people stink on the subway? New York? The Great Unwashed?

👍🏼
Like all cities- even towns and villages..

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, john g. said:

Which culture did you go grow up in? A city where people stink on the subway? New York? The Great Unwashed?

👍🏼
Like all cities- even towns and villages..

My hunch is middle eastern, muslim.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on his statement, you might be right. 
My non-PC statement of the evening. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, niconova said:

 to me: dogs are dirty

This is a valid point, even more so this year with the pandemic. Dogs usually go out in the street - exception if you have a large plot of private land or a farm. Dogs don't wear clothes and shoes so bring stuff off the street in with them. Dogs are not bathed or even washed as often as we take showers or baths. Some dogs sleep on beds. 

I don't know if I want stuff off the street in the house or worse still in my bed. ;)

Our cat slept on the bed, but she never went outside.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think the pandemic has much to do with dogs. So far not mentioned in any medical reports. Rather some animal none of us had ever heard of. 

How many humans have a perfect shower before going to bed? How many have a perfect shower before thrusting themselves upon the rest of humanity the day after?

Of course dogs pick up stuff in the street- including rubbish we humans discard every day. 


And one of our dogphobia neighbours forgets ( or doesn’t want to understand ) that it was her son, drunk every day , who peed against his mum’s house wall a couple of times a day when coming back from his raki drinking.. and blamed it on dogs ( ours specifically ).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, john g. said:

I don’t think the pandemic has much to do with dogs.

No, but it has made a lot of people think about hygiene more carefully. 

Humans can spread coronaviruses to some animals, - there have been dozens of cases of infected pets already. Transmission from animals to humans seems to be very rare (still). We don't know what's to come. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus_disease_2019#Other_animals

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/103003/coronavirus-belgian-woman-infected-her-cat/

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/10/900804849/the-first-dog-with-covid-19-has-died-and-theres-a-lot-we-still-don-t-know?t=1602620215369

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, basically, we humans are partly to blame!😂

Why not? We destroy everything else. And don’t care. We are invading animal space more and more and that is is sad. We are destroying rain forests out of greed.

Wait till it really “ los geht.” Arctic and Antarctic exploration of natural resources.

And how many wars are going on right now? Either directly or by proxy?

Humans? Great but so flawed and destructive..

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, john g. said:

So, basically, we humans are partly to blame!😂

Why not? We destroy everything else. And don’t care. We are invading animal space more and more and that is is sad. We are destroying rain forests out of greed.

Wait till it really “ los geht.” Arctic and Antarctic exploration of natural resources.

And how many wars are going on right now? Either directly or by proxy?

Humans? Great but so flawed and destructive..

 

The PolarStern just came back from ten months in the Arctic and basically they are saying: "Goodby Arctic, it was nice to know you" now is the time to invest in oil and gas exploration and the owners of container ships are salivating in their boardrooms.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slammer said:

the owners of container ships are salivating in their boardrooms.

I dout that. Once the arctic ice will have molten away demand for shipping capacity will be reduced due to shorter routes - which is the opposite of what ship owners would like to see.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeba said:

I dout that. Once the arctic ice will have molten away demand for shipping capacity will be reduced due to shorter routes - which is the opposite of what ship owners would like to see.

Sure about that? I would think that reducing capacity by shorter routes would mean that more could be carried by less ships, less ships mean lower wages costs, then much reduced fuel costs, shorter transit times, all that makes a shareholder´s heart skip a beat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slammer said:

Sure about that? I would think that reducing capacity by shorter routes would mean that more could be carried by less ships, less ships mean lower wages costs, then much reduced fuel costs, shorter transit times, all that makes a shareholder´s heart skip a beat.

Almost sure. Shipowners want to rent out their ships and therefore, they prefer a  hiher ton-mile demand to a lower one. And what do you meant by lower capacity?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13.10.2020, 20:01:19, niconova said:

I guess it's a bit of growing up in a different culture. to me: dogs are dirty. We do however agree on the kids issue! ;-)

to me: dogs are dirty

 

niconova. Do dogs pollute the planet with their filth like humans do? Do they kill the oceans with their plastic waste and industrial effluent? Do they kill each other in wars in their millions?

If dogs were the dominant species in the world, it would be a much better place.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Acton said:

to me: dogs are dirty

 

niconova. Do dogs pollute the planet with their filth like humans do? Do they kill the oceans with their plastic waste and industrial effluent? Do they kill each other in wars in their millions?

If dogs were the dominant species in the world, it would be a much better place.

I'm not sure it would be better.
You don't climb to the top of the tree by being nice to everything else. Look at spiders, they're more like us than you think. The ones we have in the cellar set up home in a corner,  and when it gets messy, they move to another corner and repeat the process. We just wait until we can get them and put them outside. free range spiders, got to be more natural.

And dogs are dirty, the roll around in shit, lick their arses and eat their own crap. This doesn't stop them being one of the most amazing things ever though and the world would be a lesser place without them.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.10.2020, 14:33:34, jeba said:

Almost sure. Shipowners want to rent out their ships and therefore, they prefer a  hiher ton-mile demand to a lower one. And what do you meant by lower capacity?

 

Lowering the capacity of container ships means that it can get into smaller harbors, smaller ships are easier to build and cost less meaning that you can have more smaller ships carrying the same amount of freight. Small has the advantage over large because at the at the moment there are only a few harbors that can take the giant post panamax ships so a smaller ship can use more ports without the containers having to be first transferred to feeder ships. Then if the Arctic is open there is no need for the Suez canal and the Panama canal, both are being enlarged at great cost and are already projected to be too small.

The Big ships can´t navigate the English channel without reducing the amount of containers and smaller ships need fewer crew, there is a long list of potential advantages but the one that stands out most are the reduced fuel costs. I think it´s a bit like the A380 being phased out in favor or smaller aircraft for much of the same reasons.

And as for your argument; more smaller ships mean more to rent out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now