Bees crawling all over the sweets in bakeries

55 posts in this topic

Noticed recently that some restaurants are burning, what looks like coffee grounds, to keep the bees (note generic use of the term bee) away. Anyone know what they are burning? I forgot to ask. I want to get some to take with me, went out for breakie today and got dive bombed the moment the food showed up. Wasn't much of a relaxing breakfast

21 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Noticed recently that some restaurants are burning, what looks like coffee grounds, to keep the bees (note generic use of the term bee) away. Anyone know what they are burning? I forgot to ask. I want to get some to take with me, went out for breakie today and got dive bombed the moment the food showed up. Wasn't much of a relaxing breakfast

If you google, it does seem to be dried coffee grounds lit and left to smoulder.  However I have always found that smoke makes wasps really pissed off, angry and aggressive.. Bee keepers use smoke to calm them, so are perhaps they are different.  I have seen bees in bakeries, but think in your garden it is the wasps that are bothering you.  Wasps are not attracted by chocolate spread so go for that rather than jam, etc.   So treat yourself!

If they realy were bees then let them enjoy the Sugar rush, you wont get sick if a bee does a number on confectionary and they need all the help they can get. On the other hand wasps are assholes with wings But they are dying now, so don‘t worry... By the way, I do Hope you don‘t like figs, because I have bad news for you, you specially if you like the crunchy bits .

Bees are only interested in flowers, where they collect pollen to make honey. What you see in bakeries are wasps. They love sweet things as well as rotting fruit and the food on your plate. They also swarm around litter bins. Especially at this time of the year. 

Did anybody google the connection between wasps and figs yet?

By the way did you know that vanilla ice is made with beaver ass juice and that red lipstick can have beetles as a coloring and don´t ask what ambergis is used for...

On 9/13/2020, 5:04:34, snowingagain said:

If you google, it does seem to be dried coffee grounds lit and left to smoulder.  However I have always found that smoke makes wasps really pissed off, angry and aggressive.. Bee keepers use smoke to calm them, so are perhaps they are different.  I have seen bees in bakeries, but think in your garden it is the wasps that are bothering you.  Wasps are not attracted by chocolate spread so go for that rather than jam, etc.   So treat yourself!

That's what I thought, checked Amazon but it wasn't the right product, I'll ask next time and update

You just need to chill with wasps.  No flailing your arms about.  Very gentle wafting.  I have seen a German friend bite into a broechen with 5 wasps  on the other side. Have a photo somewhere.

I saw a sausage stang burning coffee grounds recently against the wasps. They claimed it worked. Apparently you can throw cloves into the mix for extra effect.
The next day I bought a watermelon from a shop that was also burning stuff to keep away the wasps. It got into the cut watermelon though, it tasted a bit like cigarettes :lol:

On 17/09/2007, 15:36:38, Malt-Teaser said:

I believe that bees and wasps are still protected species here, so they can't install zappers.

Whether they are protected or not isn't relevant though inside food shops. There certainly are zappers here and they're always on, I've seen them and you can buy them. I presume they are for flies. You get wasps and bees much less often inside as opposed to flies which you see nearly all year round. We have a mini plug-in zapper in the kitchen which I use in the hottest weeks of the summer. It catches some of the tiny flies that sometimes weasel their way inside. ;)

On 9/13/2020, 7:23:26, slammer said:

If they realy were bees then let them enjoy the Sugar rush, you wont get sick if a bee does a number on confectionary and they need all the help they can get. On the other hand wasps are assholes with wings But they are dying now, so don‘t worry... By the way, I do Hope you don‘t like figs, because I have bad news for you, you specially if you like the crunchy bits .

I left some tuna fish in a bowl for an outdoor cat this morning and he scoffed down some of it before getting chased away by some other cats.

I checked a bit later and a wasp was helping itself.

Na ja, Katzen sind auch nur Menschen!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Na ja, Katzen sind auch nur Menschen!

Any self respecting cat would scorn you for that remark.

On 9/17/2007, 9:10:13, gills said:

I've seen this before, but never on such a grand scale as a bakery in Landsberg that I visited yesterday. Bees were all over the sweet baked goods inside the glass cabinet, there must have been a hundred or more. The servers behind the counter didn't take any notice of them, they just stuck their hands in and grabbed as though the bees weren't even there. I was a little grossed out at the thought of eating a sweet bun that had just been sucked on by a bug, but nobody else seemed to care. What's with this? Usually it's wasps, but in this place it was honeybees -- a lot of them. Why do they put up with it?

I hear you. The two things that still irk me living here. Dogs is restaurants and bees and wasps in bakeries. I've been here for over just about 20 years and it still gets me. I would say if you just got to have a bun or a croissant try checking out a supermarket bakery. I shop at Tegut. The bakery there is wasp and bee free.

Viel spaß

10 minutes ago, niconova said:

I hear you. The two things that still irk me living here. Dogs is restaurants and bees and wasps in bakeries. I've been here for over just about 20 years and it still gets me. I would say if you just got to have a bun or a croissant try checking out a supermarket bakery. I shop at Tegut. The bakery there is wasp and bee free.

Viel spaß

14 hours ago, niconova said:

Viel spaß

Dogs got to go somewhere, most dogs are well behaved, except those little psychotic hand bag yippy things, so I do not mind dogs, kids on the other hand...