Bees crawling all over the sweets in bakeries

55 posts in this topic

I've seen this before, but never on such a grand scale as a bakery in Landsberg that I visited yesterday. Bees were all over the sweet baked goods inside the glass cabinet, there must have been a hundred or more. The servers behind the counter didn't take any notice of them, they just stuck their hands in and grabbed as though the bees weren't even there. I was a little grossed out at the thought of eating a sweet bun that had just been sucked on by a bug, but nobody else seemed to care. What's with this? Usually it's wasps, but in this place it was honeybees -- a lot of them. Why do they put up with it?

I was a little grossed out at the thought of eating a sweet bun that had just been sucked on by a bug

Just wait to you learn what honey is! (hint: bee vomit :ph34r: )

Most likely because they fear change.

Or because selling goods from an exposed display case carries this disadvantage with it. They have to be able to reach in and out of the case with their hands, so there's really no way around the wildlife.

But really most likely because they fear change.

I guess it's a case of you can't really do much about it, they don't affect the flavour of the item and it aint gonna kill you so suck it up.

But that's just my guess.

Beats Bee Carnage imo.

Now if it was flies, which I have never seen in such a situation, that's a different matter. Yes, I am a higly insectist bigot.

Was it really bees? I've never seen bees in a bakery before. Wasps I've seen plenty of however. Bees really only go for flowers; wasps go for anything sweet.

If it's one or two, I'm not really happy about them being there, but I figure it's not that big a deal. If there was honestly "a hundred or more", I wouldn't have bought anything from that bakery. To have that many wasps seems like a hygiene problem to me. If you can't keep most of the wasps out, what else aren't you doing?

Was it really bees? I've never seen bees in a bakery before. Wasps I've seen plenty of however.

Same here. On one occasion I even got a wasp in the paper bag with my sticky bun - it put me right off when I opened it. Fortunately most of the wasps have buggered off by this time of year.

I'm glad this topic has been raised. Bees, wasps, flys... whatever! I've noticed this here in Germany too and I think it's disgusting. I absolutely will not - could not! - eat a cake that's had insects crawling all over it even without considering what they actually do to the food. I can't recall seeing anything like this in the UK where most confectionery shops have those ultra violet electrical 'zappers' installed. It's probably a legal requirement there and it should be here too!

Beats Bee Carnage imo.

They probably too think stuff that really does not affect you, beats bee carnage

Would you eat a bun from a bakery that you don't see bees/wasps in? Cos they have probably had bees/wasps on them already and you didn't know it.

What you don't know don't hurt you.

Worse than that, i went to a subway sandwich place in Munich last year, and there were flies crwaling all over everything, nobody else was complaining, and they were just taking their food and leaving, granted it was a very hot evening but they didn't even have anything protecting or covering the food, so i told them right away i didn't want it, and that they should take more care when preparing food. They looked at me like i was nuts, but i didn't care, i wasn't about to pay for food poisoning, especially not when pregnant.

I absolutely will not - could not! - eat a cake that's had insects crawling all over it.

Most of them are cleaner than your hands are when you eat, absolutely guaranteed if you've been typing. And were it not for the bees most of what you eat wouldn't be there to begin with.

woof.

Most of them are cleaner than your hands are when you eat, absolutely guaranteed if you've been typing. And were it not for the bees most of what you eat wouldn't be there to begin with.

woof.

I never touch food directly without thoroughly washing my hands first and, if this is impractical, I'll hold the sandwich in a clean paper tissue... basic hygiene in my book.

You think insects crawling over cakes etc is acceptable then?

... this was predictable, and irrelevant

I don't see it as irrelevant.

What is the difference between eating a bun that has unknowingly had bees on it and eating one that you have seen bees on?

You think insects crawling over cakes etc is acceptable then?

Doesn't really bother me much. Unless it's flies, they eat poo. The same reason I am not overly keen on dogs licking me, esp on the face.

No, extremely excessive. Your grandparents didn't do that and they survived, as did theirs, and theirs, and theirs.

The fear of EVIL GERMS is being fed by companies such ass Lever and P&G who then sell you the solution. The problem is that all this disinfectant, anti-microbial and anti-bacterial stuff being slung around is only leading to more resistant bugs and bacteria which our bodies have a harder time coping with. In short, the obsession with "clean" is leading to more sickness. Your body has defenses; there are few insects which can actually harm you in the everyday world, save for mosquitos bees/wasps/hornets (if you're allergic to the venom) and certain types of flies IF they've only just come from a turd.

woof.

I doubt very much there were 100+ that's just nonsense! Have you ever seen 100+ bees? That's a swarm, and people would very much take notice of that!

I think you are maybe being a bit over the top and are a bit too picky when it comes to your food. Just out of curiosity, do you carry your own cutlery around with you?

And yeah, what BadDoggie said about germs. Spot on.

A low dose of the everyday ones is good for you. Keeps your defenses doing what they do best.

As I said, the insects themselves aren't the issue to me. It's the lack of care that they represent that would bother me. I would wonder how clean the entire place is.

As for only a few insects that can harm you, BD, I think most scientists still think fleas help spread the plague.