Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Certified translators for German to English

32 posts in this topic

Hi TT

One of the universities I am applying to needs my a level and GCSE certificates translated into German. The requirements are that the translation be carried out by a certified translator in Germany. 

I have searched older threads here but I am not sure, and have come across prices from as little as 15 - 500 euro per page (dependent on word count of course).

I have 9 pages that need to be translated (they are the certificates plus one final school leaving certificate issued by the school itself). 

I could upload or pm them so people could get an idea. I dunno if I have done enough research but I would not like to pay an obscene amount because the Euro is very strong in exchange for my local currency (I'm poor) 

I have only emailed this man for a quote (along with the attachments): http://select-translation.de/en/about-me/career.html 

Would anyone recommend me a translator they found good and reasonable? Does anyone have any idea about the ideal rate they would charge? if you are one would you contact me through here.

Any help appreciated. 

If you want to reduce the cost - precis the text to "standard English" (i.e. cutting out the "nasties and creating lots of short , simple sentences ").

Stick it into Google translate and get the certified translator to proofread it and agree that it is a fair tranlation of the original..

There is no other short-cut - the uni will want to see the "stamp" as proof that a certified translator has OK'd it.

I reckon a certified translator must charge upwards of €40 per hour..

Thanks for the recommendation (from 2008!), I can confirm Lisa's Förster is still excellent; she had my documents back to me literally as fast as the postal service allows, and was very reasonable. http://lisasoffice.de

I needed my British marriage certificate translated for the KVR in Munich and used Alma Lingua. https://www.alma-lingua.de/

I came to this thread when I was looking for a Munich based translator and did try Lisa's Office based on davidcx's recommendation but couldn't get her on the phone, instead got someone who didn't speak English. Alma has a great website with the info in English and the service was fast, reliable and very professional. Cost me EUR 50 (inc. VAT) and was ready in 3 days.

This morning I was quoted €369 for certified translations of 1x US marriage certificate and 1x US birth certificate.   This seems astronomical to me.  I was thinking I might be spending 1/3rd this price at the most.

I should that I got these documents Apostilled.  I don't know if I needed to for Anmeldung, but it added a very simple (a couple words per line) page to the front of each otherwise-single-page document.  Did I need to get these Apostilled?  If not, I could just rip these pages off and translate the documents themselves.

Is this price insane or is it just me?  Can anybody else tell me what they paid in Munich or elsewhere for these documents?

Hi there @Atreides

I've no idea what your plans are, but it is possible that you may indeed be required to show those documents complete with Apostille for some official processes so I wouldn't recommend you to separate them.

Your quote does sound to be a bit on the high side though so you might try contacting one of these two translators (who are both advertisers on, and thus supporters of, Toytown) to see what they can do for you.

The first one is in Munich and the other in Berlin (albeit the lady has been doing jobs like yours for ppl around the country for years) and both have very good reps amongst those clients who have posted on their threads.

I've never used either of them nor had any personal contact - this is just my view developed over 9 years on the forum.

Alternatively you could use the German Association of Interpreters and Translators (Dolmetscher und Übersetzer) search tool to find one convenient to your location. Just put the your PLZ City in, select 'Übersetzerinn/en' the source language (Quellesprache) Englisch and the target lingo (Zielsprache) Deutsch and click the Suche button.

You may want to select for 'Öffentliche bestellt und vereidigte' ones who are those whose seal is a that of a publically sworn court appointee. They (or ~ 99% of them) are members of the BDÜ e.V. too.

Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V.

Federal Justice Ministry - (publically sworn-in) Translators & Interpreters- Search & Help pages in 5 languages

HTH

2B

31 minutes ago, Atreides said:

This morning I was quoted €369 for certified translations of 1x US marriage certificate and 1x US birth certificate.   This seems astronomical to me.  I was thinking I might be spending 1/3rd this price at the most.

I should that I got these documents Apostilled.  I don't know if I needed to for Anmeldung, but it added a very simple (a couple words per line) page to the front of each otherwise-single-page document.  Did I need to get these Apostilled?  If not, I could just rip these pages off and translate the documents themselves.

Is this price insane or is it just me?  Can anybody else tell me what they paid in Munich or elsewhere for these documents?

Yes, that does sound rather expensive.  I had to translate my birth certificate last year with an Apostille, and it was about 80 EUR. I went to an independent certified translator rather than a company.  The Standesamt accepted the translated document with no questions. I'm in Berlin though, so maybe things are just cheaper here? 

7 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Alternatively you could use the German Association of Interpreters and Translators (Dolmetscher und Übersetzer) search tool to find one convenient to your location. Just put the your PLZ City in, select 'Übersetzerinn/en' the source language (Quellesprache) Englisch and the target lingo (Zielsprache) Deutsch and click the Suche button. You may want to select for 'Öffentliche bestellt und vereidigte' ones who are those whose seal is a that of a court appointed public appointee.

Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V.

Federal Justice Ministry - (publically sworn-in) Translators & Interpreters- Search & Help pages in 5 languages

HTH

2B

This is what I did to find the translator who translated my documents.

Lightning fast responses from the gallery and here I am dragging out a response days later.  

I found a recommended service from a friend in Stachus for 125 euro for a marriage + apostille & birth + apostille.

I read I would need this for anmeldung, but I didn't.