Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Notaries public in Berlin

21 posts in this topic

A "Notar" is not a notary public! He's rather a senior lawyer who'll charge a percentage of the gross amount represented by the deal at hand. Get documents notarized by your Embassy or consulate (they'll also charge a fee).

A "Notar" is a Notary public, also authorised to attest documents in addition to the following for private persons: Family (Ehe, Partnerschaft, Kinder); Real estate (Kaufen, Finanzierung, Erwerb vom Bauträger); Inheritance(Pflichtteil, Testament, Erbvertrag) and various contractual matters.

Depends on what your particular needs will accept. That is the first question to be asked. A Notar is not always acceptable and therefore not a Notary Public of any value no matter what you think.

The thing is, what we (in North America anyway) think of as a "notary public" is a person in a lawyer's office or even the back of a drugstore, who is authorized to notarize a document and charges $50 or less for the service.

A "Notar" in Germany is - as I said before - a senior lawyer who charges an arm and a leg (a set percentage of the gross value of the entire matter at hand) to authorize a contract. If you buy a house or a condo, you'll be forced to use a Notar. He or she will read the entire contract aloud (or mumble it actually) page after page, witness your signature, stamp the document, and then charge you thousands of euros for this hour of amusement.

That's why I advised you that if you have a document from home which just has to be "notarized," take it to your embassy or consulate, where you'll usually get the necessary official rubber stamp for a reasonable fee.

Naturally, if you actually have a German real estate deal or contract needing a Notar, you'll have to bite the bullet. PM me and I'll give you an English-speaking one in Berlin.

It wont be thousands.. more like 75 euros depending on how much they have to do themselves. For a signiture witness, it can be around25 euros depending on the Notar.

It doesn't depend on the Notar at all - the prices are fixed by law and determined by asking you the value of the transaction. If you can conceal the value you can get away cheaply by telling a white lie to the Notar.

Civil law notary

Germany

In Germany, the Notar (pl. Notare) plays an important role in contractual agreements relating to special laws such as

1. property law

2. land charge certification

3. law of succession

4. family law

5. corporate law.

The Notar has legal training equivalent to the training of a solicitor. (S)He is appointed by the State government and is authorised to certify deeds. He provides independent and impartial advice to contractual parties. Depending on the State, German notaries officiate either as a "single-profession notary" (i.e. his/her only profession is being a civil law notary), or as a "solicitor and notary" (i.e. a solicitor who may also act as civil law notary).

The notary drafts the deeds in accordance with German law and provides legal advice regarding a contract. He will read aloud the deed in front of all parties involved. The deed is signed by all parties and sealed by the notary. It is irrevocable.

In Germany, a notary is very important to daily business. All property transactions must be signed and sealed at the office of the notary public (§ 311 b of the German Civil Code).

It wont be thousands.. more like 75 euros depending on how much they have to do themselves.

Lemme tell you... I've paid Notargebühren in the thousands. And the one time someone back home mindlessly insisted a document - not a real estate matter - be "notarized," the first thing the Notar did was try to find out the total value of the deal. After that I learned to get it done at the Embassy. Biggest scam going.

At least with the Makler you can try to buy or rent property which is "Maklerfrei." You don't have any choice with the Notar.

We have recently had an offer accepted on an apartment in Berlin. We bought straight from the owner/occupier who has always seemed like a very reasonable/decent guy. He has suggested providing documentation to the Notar on our behalf, obviously we would get it professionally translated and review it but is there any major risk involved with his proposal? (He is going to enquire about getting a Notar who speaks English - i speak reasonable german but am definitly not fluent enough to review legal doc's in German)

I was reading on this blog yesterday that there is no major benefit to travelling to Berlin to be present with the Notar... is this a reasonable assumption?

Any advice greatly welcomed.

Get a lawyer to represent you. If you PM me, I could recommend a very reputable woman specialized in real estate, who speaks perfect English, and who helped me resolve a couple of matters.

Go to the American Embassy Citizen services down in Zehlendorf. They did my divorce papers at a fair price and you know anything they do will hold up in America.

PM me, I could recommend a very reputable woman specialized in real estate, who speaks perfect English

Could you just post the information on the forum so that everyone who reads this topic can benefit from it?

thanks for suggestion about the Embassy however I'm living in Dublin and so this is not an option.

I recommend in matters of purchasing of real properties and foundations of companies the law firm Mock lawyers in Berlin. After my experiences, they deal with these matters in English language, in short term and they do a good job.

Hi,

I am in a similar situation currently where I am purchasing a property in Berlin and the notary I am dealing with has advised me that I should get the legal contract translated prior to signing, which obviously makes sense, however we are wondering should we be looking for an English speaking Lawyer who will act on our behalf with the notary or is this overkill or is all we need a translation service to translate the legal document?

from my understanding the Notary does not act on the purchasers behalf or provide any legal advice to the purchaser.

Good advice on Mock Lawyers as will check them out this week for sure.

Thanks