Help understanding text written on a visa

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I just got a visa to Germany for PhD employment/study. Could you please help me with these remarks written on the visa “ erwerbstatigeit als gastwissenschaftler/wissenschaftl. Mitarbeiter Gem. & 34. NR.2 Aufenthv gestattet

Nothing to be worried about: It says you can work at the university that hired you, but you cannot legally take up other employment. So if you decide that the university thing is no fun, or they don't pay you enough, you can't just try your luck as a waiter, or sales manager, or whatever.

Not quite sure if the syntax in the German there is right but it sounds like: Employment as a guest academic/academic employee granted under section 34 paragraph 2

On 9/7/2007, 10:17:22, Bessel80 said:

Hello!

I just got a visa to Germany for PhD employment/study. Could you please help me with these remarks written on the visa “ erwerbstatigeit als gastwissenschaftler/wissenschaftl. Mitarbeiter Gem. & 34. NR.2 Aufenthv gestattet

Hello!

I know it's been a long time since you published this, but I'm going through this exact situation at the moment and I was wondering how did everything go with your visa when you arrived to Germany and if everything went well with the contract process or if you encountered any time of difficulty associated with this type of visa.

Thank you very much in advance.

It would be very helpful to receive a reply from you!

Welcome to Toytown (TT) @Jeimmy

Just a heads up FYI. If you 'mouseover'  posters user name or avatar  little popup appears which shows when they joined, number of posts, last login date, private message and profile link buttons. It appears @Bessel80 last logged in on 2 October 2009 so I wouldn't recommend holding your breath waiting for a response.

If you too are confused by the conditions/remarks on your visa then we can't help you unless you post exactly the remarks as written, assuming you do already have a visa.

There are scores of possible combinations which may apply depending on individual circumstances so we would be foolish to try guessing your nationality, qualifications, reasons for coming to Germany, status of your application processing, employer type (and their probable level of efficiency/knowledge of official systems), etc., etc.

Post the simple facts and ask straightforward questions and you may get straightforward simple answers from some of TTs experts in the field. Few TTers have time to engage in the tedious process of extricating vital info from newbies who won't help TT to help them.

HTH

2B

Hello!

Thank you very much for your reply and for actually engaging in the tedious process of extricating vital info from this newbie :)
I am a Colombian Psychologist and Magister in Psychology. I will be taking a gainful employment as a research assistance in a German University (located in Magdeburg) from January 2019. The German Embassy granted me a visa Type D and the remarks state as follows: Wissenschaftl. Mitarbeiter 
§ 34 NR. 2 Aufenthv.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards,

Jeimmy 

OK, that endorsement means your visa was issued according to the conditions of the following Section (auf Deutsch Paragraph = §) and subsection (Nummer = NR) numbers of the Residence Ordnance (AufenthV)

Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV)
§ 34 Zustimmungsfreiheit bei Wissenschaftlern und Studenten

Abweichend von § 31 bedarf das Visum nicht der Zustimmung der Ausländerbehörde bei

a ) Gastwissenschaftlern,
b ) Ingenieuren und Technikern als technischen Mitarbeitern im Forschungsteam eines Gastwissenschaftlers und
c ) Lehrpersonen und wissenschaftlichen Mitarbeitern, die auf Einladung an einer Hochschule oder einer öffentlich-rechtlichen, überwiegend aus öffentlichen Mitteln finanzierten oder als öffentliches Unternehmen in privater Rechtsform geführten Forschungseinrichtung tätig werden,

which translate to mean;

Residence Ordinance (AufenthV)
§ 34 Approval of Scientists and Students

Notwithstanding § 31, the visa does not require the consent of the foreigners authority
2.   a ) Visiting scholars,
     b ) Engineers and technicians as technical staff in the research team of a visiting scientist and
     c ) Teachers and academic staff who, by invitation, work at a university or a public research institution financed predominantly by public funds or run as a public undertaking in private legal form,

So, although we now do know the simple facts, you still appear to have forgotten to post any straightforward question/s.

I guess they're lurking somewhere in this part of your original post...

On Montag, 3. Dezember 2018, Jeimmy said:

I was wondering how did everything go with your visa when you arrived to Germany and if everything went well with the contract process or if you encountered any time of difficulty associated with this type of visa.

... but, despite of being directed at someone with the same type of visa conditions as you, these are questions are far too vague and general in their nature.

Your visa offers a really huge advantage over the majority of visas isued to people on this forum insofar as it does not require the subsequent approval of the local foreigners authority (Ausländerbehörde or ABH) so you will be spared the frustration of having to try to book appointments, waiting for hours in queues, being interrogated by impatient and legally pedantic officials who will (for legal reasons) only ever speak German with their customers no matter whether those customers can understand them or not.

Additionally any difficulties you may encounter are, according to all the reports I've read from other TTers in similar circumstances, far less likely to have anything to do with your type of visa than they may have to do with your employer, and in particular I'm thinking of your direct supervisor(s?) rather than the HR of the uni.

Until you yourself have established a working relationship with that person it would probably be foolish to spend much time worrying about those risks in advance.

OTOH, if you think it may help you (á la 'forewarned is fore-armed') to worry about problems others may have had in the more recent past, you could try searching through topic titles posted in the Legal subforum where several people a week post about employment issues.

Some of those are related to jobs as Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter (or Wissenschaftliche Hilfsarbeiter) in unis or applied science institutes.

Most issues seem to be wrt which step of the public employees tariff agreement they are being prevented from achieving or how many (paid or unpaid) hours they should or may work (during or between semesters) and suchlike.

Key words (or abbreviations) you may see used are TVÖD HiWi and FH.

I hope that's useful because I'm done for now, having just noticed that it's already taken me more time than I had intended.

If you do have any specific questions feel free to post them here. Maybe someone else with some knowledge of academia will be able to answer them.

2B