Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Erlangen

25 posts in this topic

I am looking to move to erlangen in the middle of next year.

can anyone give me any advice on meeting english people, or finding a place to learn to speak german?

most importantly, on how to find work. i heve been working in bars, hotels and restaurants for about 9 years now. so i'm guessing this is my best bet.

i have been learning german for a few months now. but its coming on slow.

please give me as much advise as possible.

many thanks

Call into Wheeler's, great Irish pub in Erlange near the Schloss and take it from there.

You working with Adidas or Puma in Herzo? Or Siemens? Either way loads of expats about!

sit at the bar in wheelers, there are always some brits in there, and yanks too who are over on training courses, and it's owned by an english bloke and half the staff are irish. google [wheelers erlangen]. also post messages to random brits on here and just ask every brit that you meet if they know any more brits and just keep meeting people. everyone knows how it was when they first arrived having no friends so everyone is very welcoming. also have a look on facebook and search for Erlangen in the Germany network and you'll find loads of brittish students that are over here. I know at least 20/30 brits after only being here 3 months however half have left already or are leaving soon. it's the usual flow of things where everyone comes here temporarily. no one makes any long-term friends. with regards work... no advice there sorry although wheelers is always looking for new staff *shrugs*

thanks for the reply chaps. will check out the pub on google. looking forward to the new venture. keep me posted if you have anymore advise for me

Hi!

I have just moved to Erlangen, i am a 27yr old English girl, and am wondering if anyone has any advise on any good places to seek employment in the area. I am currently learning the German language I would admit slowly but surely and would appreciate any help on both the language and job front. I would ideally like to work outdoors or with young people.

Also is there many English people around of the same kind of age? would like to meet up with people as finding it a bit daunting at the moment especially with my German being not so good at all!!

I have just been traveling for the last 2 years, mostly by bicycle and trying to stay in one place for the time being!!! I am also loving the area for climbing, just learning but if anyone would like to meet up to boulder or climb it would also be cool!!

look forward to hearing from people x

Topics merged by admin

There are many climbing gyms in he area, apparently a bouldering gym here in Erlangen, but not yet found it but there is a good climbing gym which has a bouldering room in a village called Forchheim just 30kms from here. Ive not been inside as of yet as am enjoying the fraenkische schweiz area for outdoor bouldering and climbing. Ive jut started but its the such a great area and so much to find, actually its just soooo good, if need to meet people, want to climb etc when you get to Nuremberg let me know. I know a girl in Nuremberg looking for a climbing partner as well, maybe? have fun x

Hello there :) I recently migrated to Germany and Established myself in a small flat in Erlangen Center. It's a rented flat, sort of an apart-hotel, so I dont pay for extra expenses. Hard part is, internet here sucks. So I wanna improve it. Anyone can help me sorting out a good mobile internet provider? I know it's more expensive than normal DSL yes.

Also, I wanna buy or rent a bicycle, but prices here are super high. Any tips on finding a cheap used or new bike? Thanks!!!

A reply on my own topic, just to ask someone to PLEASE (OH GOD PLEASE!!!) help me finding a mobile internet solution. Not a prepaid one, a montlhy-paid one, with like 7.2 Mbps speed and a big download limit like 6 GB or such (I'm exemplifying with the best mobile internet available in Portugal).

I ask this since my current internet sucks hard, and also my german isn't the best yet.

Thanks for the help!

no idea about internet but there will be a flea market nearby somewhere (probably starting early tomorrow morning) where you can buy a bike.

go early, bargain, and be prepared for a bit of bike maintenance in the near future...

if you're lucky you can pick up a decent-enough one for like €30

I was in Erlangen earlier today and drove past this place - Fahrradkiste. They seemed to have a large selection of second-hand bikes for sale.

Do you know the technical limit of your DSL line? Some DSL routers provide this information.

ADSL up to 8 MBit/s downstream.

ADSL2 up to 16 MBit/s downstream (a router only capable of ADSL (not ADSL2) will however ignore this).

If the line capacity is higher than what's the limit of your DSL internet access package you better upgrade it. Some providers still stick to their old 1 or 2 MBit/s DSL packages, despite offering new packages only with higher speeds. Even worse: sometimes these old packages are more expensive per month than new ones. Something to recheck from time to time. But be aware of the minimum duration any change of a contract or a new contract will come with.

Hey Guys,

I'm moving to Erlangen from Sydney Australia, be with my boyfriend coming up now in March. I am in web design and digital video production, do you know any avenues for this kind of work in the area?

cheers!

I'm moving to Erlangen from Sydney Australia, be with my boyfriend coming up now in March. I am in web design and digital video production, do you know any avenues for this kind of work in the area?

The good news is, there are all sorts of video and media production companies around Nuremberg - Its not Cologne, but its pretty good. The bad news is that not only does everyone and their dog want to get into these areas nowadays but Nuremberg also has a university churning out large volumes of graduate multimedia types every year who also want jobs. Be prepared for it to be hard and also be prepared for the fact that you may have to do one or several "Praktika" or "Voluntäriat" sessions (ie work for several months with no pay) to get your foot in any likely-looking doors unless you have a partiucularly rare qualification or very specific experience.

A final word of warning - If "I am in" means youve taken it up because its fun and you want to earn money with it, youre probably doomed. You will need at least a university qualification (or extremely good contacts and a sackful of luck) to get anywhere here.

On a positive note - Definitely join "Xing", the German business networking site (noone uses Linkedin here) and try going along to the Nuremberg meet-and-greet sessions if youre thinking of going freelance.

On an even more positive note - Its nice here :-)

andy M

... You will need at least a university qualification (or extremely good contacts and a sackful of luck) to get anywhere here ...

Plus a residence/work permit of course ...

Also, I wanna buy or rent a bicycle, but prices here are super high. Any tips on finding a cheap used or new bike? Thanks!!!

Where does "super high"start for you?

a) Ebay

B) As spring comes, all larger super markets and builders merchants will have very cheap bikes available (like 79-199 Euros)

c) Stadler, the bike megastore, has a "stinkers" corner of stuff theyve taken as a trade-in and cant be bothered doing anything with. Usually v. cheap but of suspicious condition. If youre prepared to spend a bit more, they usually have good cheap new bikes on offer too, but youll drop €150-200 for anything close to worthwhile.

d) The Deutsche Bahn regularly auctions off lost & found bikes from their stations - try googling for the next auction.

e) Nuremberg (and probably other) town councils do the same too, AFAIK, but I know even less about that.

andy M

Hey, I know Wheeler's and I can assure you there are always some English native speakers there. I am German but I worked in Britain for about one year. I know how difficult it can be to start a conversation with Germans and I find it much easier to talk to British people sometimes. Is anyone looking for a language partner in Erlangen?

Hi i'm an italian guy here in Erlangen from 4days but with a great motivation to break everything and know new people....

please don't leave me here to make mold!!!

for this weekend there some people moving or some party???love eletronic dub hiphop reggae music....

write to my email especially girls!!!

refrain wasters

bella li Leo

i'm waiting suggest please say something different from silence.....

Reviving this old thread. We're moving to the Erlangen area and trying to decide between Vodafone and Telekom for internet/festnetz service. I am mostly concerned about consistency of service for the internet. Does anyone have any advice?