Ryanair passenger experiences

203 posts in this topic

What on earth is a Visa Electron and can residents of Germany get one?

Answered my own question- its a debit card issued by Visa.

Phew. What a relief. Switched my days and can now fly BA for less money and with more flight times. I do fly to Heathrow which is a shithole, although it's at least nearer where I wanna be, and not as if Stansted is the height of luxury. Plus I really like Munich airport - not sure what Memmingen is like, but hopefully won't find out in the near future.

I had a BA cancelled flight once at Munich and they put me up in the Kempinski with dinner. Respect. I am fully aware from friends what happens if Ryanair cancels a late flight. So BA deserve my cash.

We don't fall all over ourselves if they... say my granny fell ill. What part of no refund don't you understand? You are not getting a refund so fuck off.

Michael O'Leary

On Ryanair's strict no-refund policy, the source of most complaints.

Michael O Leary, CEO Ryanair.

Michael O'Leary quotes

Take a look at the undercover documentary about RyanAir on YouTube and you will NEVER get near their planes. There are a few other interesting videos on there as well. Don't fly them. I paid a fee for not having an EU passport (40 euro) and despite several emails, providing info they asked for, I have never gotten the refund they promsed. And never will I realize now.

I don't care. When I flew from Stansted recently, I got stung for £20 for a bag that I had forgotten to pay for when I booked the ticket online, and another £20 for 'handling'.

Michael O'Leary is a thieving Mick cunt and he is not getting anymore of my money. He should go back to tarmacking peoples drives.

Hello,

I'm flying from Hahn to Malaga and back next month with Ryanair. I didn't pay extra for the check-in, but now I am wondering how I am going to check in when I come back. Can I do it on my mobile phone, or do I need a printer to print out the boarding card? Will they just charge me 5 Euro to check-in on the way back if I check in at the desk?

Ta.

x

I don't think the new rules will have come into effect by then, but if they have then you can check in up to 15 days in advance so you can – somewhat bizarrely – check in for your return flight before even taking the outward flight.

I say this every time, but this further charge surely must be the final straw for anyone with even half a brain. All the others were bad enough; the card fee charged not per transaction but per passenger per leg and applicable to virtually all credit and debit cards was a master-stroke of deception. But to charge to check in – a process that is completely unavoidable – is surely outright illegal.

Note also how they will close online check-in a full four hours before departure, so anyone checking in before heading off to the airport will find themselves unable to do so and facing a £40 charge at the airport. In contrast, online check-in with Lufthansa opens 24 hours before departure and closes 40 minutes before departure.

AVOID FLYING WITH RYANAIR WHENEVER POSSIBLE. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MORE OF YOUR MONEY!!!

AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!

Just was chekcing on Easyjet Webpage, and saw that they are also charging 22 EURO for a return flight for Check-in Luggage...looks like all are learning it from O'leary

These thieving bastards just f'd us this past weekend. We've got loads of documentation proving our case, but we're on day three and of course no response from them. What's worse is I need to be in eastern Slovakia on July 5th, but can't leave here until July 4th. Who can get me there on time (famous last words) without breaking the bank? These thieving bastards!

what happened bohemka?

Can't help you out about getting to Slovakia, but if you're really broke then check out the Eurolines bus system.

Eurolines was my plan, but that'll get me overnight to Prague, and then I'll have to take another overnight train to my destination, arriving a couple hours before launching into a 150 km hike through the mountains. I'm old. My body doesn't work like that anymore.

Well, their latest policy of the 40 € charge for not printing out your boarding pass applies to tickets booked after May 23 (we booked well before that), per their website, and per the confirmation we received, specifically stating it didn't apply to us. After waiting 30 minutes in the non-EU line (another first for us when flying within Schengen), the lady told us it did apply to us, and refused to let us board the flight until we paid the fee.

Asked her when this policy kicked in, and she told us "about a year ago." As we've flown with them four times in the past six months and hadn't encountered it we called BS. Then we showed her the confirmation and called BS again. She refused to give us our boarding passes. So with the clock ticking down we had to go to another window, wait behind dozens of other passengers who were also bamboozled, pay the fee, and then return to the end of the non-EU line for a second 30-minute wait.

All this before the joy of the security line. They closed the flight but we were able to talk our way into running across the tarmac and onto the plane. We got yelled at as well for running directly to the plane, and not on the tarmac crosswalks.

Not a crushing amount of money, but the stress of essentially being held hostage a long way for home the day before we desperately had to be there was a serious pain in the ass. And it's really the principle of the whole thing. The lying, the manipulation, and the realization that these bastards continue to get away with this because they'll always attract enough customers with their low fares, even with all the hoop-jumping.

How can they charge €40 for a boarding card? That's ridiculous. Does this mean that you committed the crime of not booking through their website? According to their (current) table of fees (http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES), they charge €40 for the boarding card if the flight isn't booked through their website.

I love the little footnote at the bottom of the table:

Up to 4 hours prior to your scheduled departure you can contact your local Ryanair reservations centre to add: flight change fees (route/date/time), name change fees, infant fees, baggage fees, priority boarding fees, sports, infant equipment and musical instrument fee, this is subject to call centre opening hours.

I wonder what happens if you don't pay the fees at least 4 hours before departure or if the call centre isn't open.

I paid a fee for not having an EU passport (40 euro) and despite several emails, providing info they asked for, I have never gotten the refund they promsed.

Perhaps you should contact the press.

I booked a trip with Ryanair in August and got hit with the 40Euro (total) for checkin and baggage, and I booked the trip before the change, but the trip is after the change!

@Lorelei - I booked through the website. They have a new catch that if you don't do "online check-in" between 14 days and four hours before the flight (too late to correct this oversight by the time you get to the airport; and checking in for a flight days in advance flies in the face of logic that to check in for a flight you should actually be at the damn airport and will actually board the flight and not leave the seat vacant) they hit you with a 40 euro fee. But that policy kicked in after I booked my flight. So I had a travel advisory reminder confirmation that even said "For tickets purchased after May 23 you must..." but I booked before May 23. No difference to the money grabber at the counter, however. And what do you do when the clock is ticking down and you may get stranded in Italy. Joke of a company.

Same boat as Carm, it appears. I even paid separately beforehand for my baggage. I will badger them until the end of time over this one. It's all in writing, but they (wisely, and planned, I'm sure) don't appear to have any customer service staff.

Yeah, great idea. And if packed tightly enough together, they will not even need seat belts. It also makes for faster boarding since people are not looking to find their seats.