Ryanair passenger experiences

203 posts in this topic

somehow I do not think Michael O'Leary would give a fcuk. As far as he is concerned there is no such thing as bad publicity.

To quote him:

The European consumer would crawl naked over broken glass to get low fares

i would love the senior execs at ryanair to read this thread!

Why? you think they would read it to see how they could improve customer service :lol: There used to be a website, ryanairsucks.com or simliar, & here is one that is still active ryanaircampaign

and then have the cheek to ask for help to place it in the overhead locker.

The only people I will help with luggage are elderly folk and pregnant women. Everyone else if your hand luggage is to heavy for you the place it in the overhend bin, then sit on it!

I do wonder if Michael O'leary has these brainstorms of money making (aka fleecing the passenger) ideas in his sleep, sitting on the loo, doing the ironing (no, I'm hallucinating now) ... ;) They are certainly coming up with a worrying regularity. ie the 15 kgs (not combinable between two passengers flying together), the credit card charges (high), and now the extra £30 for the duty free that may not fit into the hand baggage. And if the hand baggage is a real handbag? Can't imagine shoving the gin for Aunt Phoebe into a good leather bag.

I always have the feeling that he is regarding his passengers as chickens/sheep. Herd them here and there, cut off that way, watch out for the ones trying to skip out the side, what fun for a bored guy looking to stack up the cash. Perhaps he has a special computer game - how to outwit the fuckwits - that he practises on. :rolleyes:

The only people I will help with luggage are elderly folk and pregnant women. Everyone else if your hand luggage is to heavy for you the place it in the overhend bin, then sit on it!

So, you would not help a cripple or someone with a motor neurone disease? Nice...

Whilst everyone seems to be moaning, perhaps we can generate some ideas for Ryanair to consider...how about...

Charging you to use the toilet.

It seems popular here at roadside service stations and worse still pubs and clubs where the (usually nigerian) cleaner sits outside making you feel quite guilty for not paying for the privilege of soiling the back of her pan!!!

Whilst everyone seems to be moaning, perhaps we can generate some ideas for Ryanair to consider

Superb idea! They could charge for the bus ride from the terminal to the jet.

I do wonder if Michael O'leary has these brainstorms of money making (aka fleecing the passenger) ideas in his sleep, sitting on the loo, doing the ironing (no, I'm hallucinating now) ...

But that's the point: he isn't fleecing the passengers, he's just ensuring that everyone's paying for the services they use. If I fly with a 6kg hand luggage bag, no checked bags, online check in and booked online, I'm not making use of the reservations staff, the check in staff or the baggage handlers, and I'm not using my full entitlement of weight. Why should I subsidise someone else's 15kg of hand luggage?

You get what you pay for. It irks me to defend Ryanair, but it seems that people's expectations are unreasonable. You have a certain baggage allowance. If you go over it you have to pay. Why should that be different for cabin baggage, especially since space inside the cabin is more limited and more open to abuse?

They'll get you where you need to go, they just won't pay your hotel while you're waiting to get there. Plus I don't know of any airline that would.

Lufthansa will. My Father came to visit last year and his return flight to London was cancelled due to bad weather. Luthansa put him up in the Kempinski and paid for the evening meal. Top airline and I love their "Worldshop".

well I remember being able to pay more for a seat with extra leg room on Monarch Airlines.

I'm 100% with llees on this. I generally fly with only hand luggage, I know the terms & conditions, if I know I need to check stuff in I compare the total price to that of another arline, if it's still considerably cheaper on Ryanair I go with that, if not then I don't. People with tons of hand luggage hold up the flight whilst they're trying to find somewhere to put it all.

Here is a real question for you all and perhaps I will start a Poll about it...perhaps...a few years ago I performed a safety case for 1 Pilot and even a pilotless 737 carrying 150 passengers/cabin crew. The outcome was that it is perfectly possible to operate with 1 pilot using current aircraft systems on most inland routes (without a significant level of safety decrement) and with the implematation of some advanced systems operate without a pilot on these same routes (with a low to moderate decrease in safety). Before anyone says anything, the pilotless passenger aicraft will never ever happen. But single crew is an option...(all passenger jets currently have 2 pilots)

So, how many of you would be happy to pay even less for a flight...

1. With just 1 pilot;

2. With no pilot?

I've a mate who is a pilot. he always pilots in a team of two. he says this helps train up new recruits, and ensures if something happens to one of them then there is one left to look after flying the plane.

think I'd always prefer 2 pilots, even if it cost more.

2 pilots please. I'd even pay a bit extra for two.

I know that the autopilot can do whatever's necessary, but I'd prefer to have two pilots on the plane just because.

But that's the point: he isn't fleecing the passengers, he's just ensuring that everyone's paying for the services they use. If I fly with a 6kg hand luggage bag, no checked bags, online check in and booked online, I'm not making use of the reservations staff, the check in staff or the baggage handlers, and I'm not using my full entitlement of weight. Why should I subsidise someone else's 15kg of hand luggage?

You get what you pay for. It irks me to defend Ryanair, but it seems that people's expectations are unreasonable. You have a certain baggage allowance. If you go over it you have to pay. Why should that be different for cabin baggage, especially since space inside the cabin is more limited and more open to abuse?

Since all the cheap airlines now charge for checked in bags (at least the ones that I have used in the past few years), you are not subsidsing their checked in bags.

Agree that people with piles of handluggage trying to shove it all into the small over head lockers are irritating. But I think that the average on board case should be ok. And if one just has an ordinary leather bag, and coat, then the duty free stuff won't fit in. Anyway it is much better in Europe than in some other countries where other passengers often have masses of stuffed full, tied up plastic bags that they didn't check in. In flights originating in other countries, that is still often an issue.

As someone else mentioned, why does he not charge for the loo. After all the ones who don't use it are presumably subsidising those who do to the tune of water, electricity and loo paper, oh soap (well perhaps for 50% of users) and handtowels. Sure he could save or make something there. Hadn't thought about the bus that take you to the aircraft. He could paint arrows on the tarmac for the passengers to follow.

I think its disgraceful to charge people extra if their duty free doesn't fit into their hand luggage. And 30 quid is extortionate considering the price of the actual flight might be less than this. As for baggage handling, you buy your duty free after you've done the security check and stuff don't you so there is no baggage handling for Ryanair at this point.

Since all the cheap airlines now charge for checked in bags (at least the ones that I have used in the past few years), you are not subsidsing their checked in bags.

That's exactly my point. If I'm not subsidising checked bags, why should I subsidise some jackass who thinks he can trick Ryanair by having the sort of carryon bag you could fit a giraffe in?