Ryanair passenger experiences

203 posts in this topic

You absolutely cannot compare the two. Ryanair crew are badly treated, ill paid and have no company support. Basically they do the best they can out of a bad job, or not as the case may be! BA at least treat their crew as human beings. You might enjoy the joke that came through the other day.

 

> > A man was in the bar at an airport when he noticed a beautiful woman

> > alongside him. 'Wow,' he thought. 'She must be an air hostess, I wonder

> > which airline she works for.'

> >

> > He leaned over and uttered the Delta Airlines slogan: 'Love to fly and it

> > shows?'

> >

> > She gave him a blank stare and he thought: 'Hmm. Not Delta.'

> >

> > Another slogan popped into his head and he leaned over again. 'Something

> > special in the air?'

> >

> > She gave him another confused look and he scratched Singapore Airlines

> > off his list.

> >

> > Thinking 'Perhaps she works for Thai Airways...' he said: 'Smooth as

> > silk?'

> >

> > This time the woman got angry, turned on him and said: 'What the f**k do

> > you want?'

> >

> > The man slumped back in his chair. 'Ahhh, Ryanair,' he sighed.

> >

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So would you say that the Ryanair ground staff and cabin crew were just as professional as BA staff, for example?

This may come as a shock, but the shittiest service ever I received from DeutscheBA*. So there. Along with Iberia, they are on my shitlist, so I wouldn't fly with either of those unless there's no alternative whatsoever. Don't even know whether either of those still exists, airlines come and go and all that.

 

*I admit that I have not experienced any major lost luggage problems with Ryanair, so wouldn't know how they'd deal with it

** Maybe that's the point: Ryanair has never lost my luggage in 50+ flights

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the bottom line then is that Ryanair & Co are bad for the staff, bad for the customers and bad for the industry!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband has flown ryan air a couple of times & says they are fine, so I have booked him on ryan air to Stansted next month (I am going with Lufthansa :D ) but the card I used to pay will expire at the end of the month and won't be renewed, can anyone tell me what exactly they need to see the card for? It says on the website that he needs to show the credit card that he used to pay with. I know with lufty I need it for the quick check in but ryan air doesn't have that???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..knowing Ryanair it's probably for no reason other than to serve as one more pointless little obstacle for you to navigate so they have an excuse to screw some more money out of you if you forget it ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So would you say that the Ryanair ground staff and cabin crew were just as professional as BA staff, for example?

Yip , in my experience more professional than :

 

Iberia

Easyjet

US air

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am flying with Ryanair for the first time soon. Just from Hahn to Stansted, so at least it will be quick. I am used to flying long distances with BA, KLM and Qantas, but Qantas has really changed in the last couple of years. Flying with them used to be like one big party all the way to Australia. Now its just very cold and bussinesslike.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying Ryanair is perfectly ok if you are not irritated by the following: a) the price you see at the beginning will have every sort of add on that you can imagine B) you have 15 kgs of luggage, which for quick trips may be ok. But you cannot check in the luggage of two people and add the allowance together. ie if one has 10 kgs and the other 20kg then the one with 20kg will pay overweight. That doesn't sound too bad, but if you are travelling for example as a family with children, it can be incredibly stressful trying to repack bags at the check in, if you didn't know in advance. c) what really gets me are the credit card charges, even when paying with one credit card for a group, each person and each flight counts. And you will only see that after you have finished the booking as far as I recall. Grrrrr.

 

I just find their whole ethic questionable. I find it easier to fly another airline than to get high blood pressure about O'Leary and Co.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Ryanair isnt an airline that strives for happy comfortable customers.

If you are paying 10 EUR or sometimes, only 1 EUR for a 1-2 hour flight, what are you asking for?

 

Ryanair are cheap and cheerful - you get what you pay for.

 

I agree. I almost always fly ryanair and have not had any major problems.

I flew with Ryan only once though, from Berlin to Stockholm.

And I was really surprised at their Punktuality. I have traveled many times on long hauls with Lufthansa, KLM-Air France, Qatar, Emirates, Aur Berln, Germanwings etc. And Ryan Air's timing was almost similar or better than Lufthansa, and simply better than KLM or some other big brands. the Plane was a quite new one, good seats. Landing and Take off was quite good.What can I ask for from a Airline that sold a Airline ticket for 20 EUR, 2 way?

Only problem is they normally use Airports far away from big cities. If I am living close by a Ryan Air Airport, I will certainly always use them!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew Dublin to Frankfurt just after nye 2009, showed up with an extra small suitcase (standard carry on size), thinking that it would not be a big deal. Oh so wrong! They charged me an extra 130 euros for the extra baggage and the flight was only 99 euros!

 

Some rule that each person is allowed 15kg, however my bag was an extra 10 kgs or similar.

Had no choice at the time, so paid it!

 

Lesson to be learned, only fly with these guys if absolutely necessary!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like taking a bus, only it goes in the air.

 

Lots of people complain about Ryanair's policies, and they're utter bastards about screwing money out of you. However, the complainers tend to be people who haven't read the terms and conditions. They keep their prices low by making you pay for non-essentials, and non-essentials are anything that is not "a seat in the plane and your ass from your start point to your destination".

 

A useful list:

 

credit card charges - you can pay with an EC card and save them

check in - hand luggage only and online check in saves this fee

(hand luggage is one piece and 10kg max. don't try to take the piss because they'll check your bag and charge you for it)

sitting together - if there are loads of you, join the queue at the gate early on or else sit by yourselves

checked baggage - the allowance is 15kg and that's all. don't take the piss because the check in staff will be fired if they're caught letting you get away with not paying

buying onward transport tickets in the place - on flights to Dublin it isn't cheaper to do it so don't. Ryanair have an agreement with another company; their best interest is not to save you a couple of euro

check in closes between an hour and 45 minutes before departure. they're strict because it saves them paying the check in staff for an extra 15 minutes, and because you have to buy a new seat at walk-up price

 

Know the rules, don't expect anything good and wear sunglasses in the cabin. It's only a short flight.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It's like taking a bus, only it goes in the air.

And lot cheaper and faster than bus ofcourse, if you book early and follow the basics like not taking extra weight. A 1000km ride by a Bus in Germany will probably cost ~100 EUR,by train ~200 EUR, whereas cost me only 10 EUR by Ryan :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just seen that Dublin Airport is closed, due to snow. The Ryanair flight to BadenBaden was cancelled. In their terms and conditions they say:

 

 

Ryanair does not provide monetary compensation under Article 7 of EU Regulation 261/2004 for flights which are delayed or cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair's control (extraordinary circumstances). You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force to cover such eventualities.

Arrrggghhhh. And when you book you click on to the "I have read the terms and conditions". I wonder what has happened to the people wanting to fly out today.

 

My daughter is (supposed to be) coming over tomorrow for the weekend. Sleet is forecast in London for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

 

I must say, however, that I have never had any problems with Ryanair.

 

Oooooh almost forgot. I am not sure whether this is normal but ..

 

Coming back from Dublin two weeks ago, one of the stewards was doing the safety monologue just beside our seats. My husband was reading a book and this guy told him to pay attention. He did not ask the guy sitting across the way to put down his book, though. Anyway my husband was reeeeeelly annoyed by it...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've flown Ryanair many times without a problem. However, last month, We flew from Hahn to Venice. While waiting for the return flight back to Hahn, we learned that the flight was canceled and rerouted to Milan due to fog. I thought Ryanair would simply put us on a bus to Milan to catch the return flight to Hahn ... wrong. After queuing for 3 hours, we were offered 2 options:

 

1) Take the next available flight to Hahn that did not leave for 4 days.

2) Get on standby for a flight to Bremen the next day.

 

We ended up spending 300 Euro for a train to Frankfurt Hbf. From there we took the Hahn shuttle bus to the airport so I could get my car from the car park.

 

I did some research on Ryanair after that trip and realized that it is standard for them to leave you stranded if a flight is canceled. I read some really sad stories online from others that had way more of an ordeal than we did. They don't care if you are elderly, have a large family with kids, or have no money for alternate transportation ... they just leave you stranded and don't care.

 

Having said that, I might fly Ryanair again. But I would make sure I had a backup plan for the return trip in case of a cancellation. Also, I would take the Heidelberg-Hahn shuttle instead of driving to the airport. That way, I would not have to worry about getting my car from Hahn if I had to take alternate transportation for the return flight.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have just seen that Dublin Airport is closed, due to snow. The Ryanair flight to BadenBaden was cancelled. In their terms and conditions they say:

 

 

I've been booked on a Ryanair flight that was cancelled - out of Dublin, due to freezing fog. They rebooked me on a flight the next morning at no extra charge after offering me the alternative of a flight to an airport two hours north of my destination or one two hours south.

 

They'll get you where you need to go, they just won't pay your hotel while you're waiting to get there. Plus I don't know of any airline that would.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They don't care if you are elderly, have a large family with kids, or have no money for alternate transportation ... they just leave you stranded and don't care.

Er, nope. They are a point to point airline and make no attempt to hide that or pertinent facts such as they don't provide much support in the event of cancellations etc. Perhaps not the best airline for old people or families or people with no reserve cash to fly with but their business model is clear that is doesn't encourage those groups - quite the opposite - and in a free market, it doesn't have target 100% of the population equally, anyway.

 

Ryanair clearly sets its stall for the footloose and fancy free (those travelling light in both senses of the term) and those who know the deal they're signing up to, and who appreciate that there's no such thing as a free lunch but that lower fares come with trade-offs and who are prepared to run the risk.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They'll get you where you need to go, they just won't pay your hotel while you're waiting to get there. Plus I don't know of any airline that would.

Not always true. I missed one connecting flight to Seattle from Amsterdam with KLM, and it was their fault. I stayed in a 4 star hotel in downtown Amsterdam, had one of thes best buffets I ever had in any hotel :lol:.But ofcourse it was a 1000 EUR trans-atlantic return flight. Why should RyanAir with 10 EUR tickets give one the same type of goodies? One should know clearly what to expect from a No-Frills Airline, and live with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you said it was their fault, and it was a connection. Ryanair don't do connecting flights - it's strictly point to point. And bad weather is out of their control.

 

I booked a flight with BA that should have been MAN-LGW-JFK and back, but on the way back they managed to book me on a flight to Heathrow with my connection in Gatwick. With 90 minutes between the two. I had to threaten legal action to get the cost of my taxi fare back because they claimed I should have noticed while booking over the phone.

 

I hate the experience of flying Ryanair. I hate being forced into that two-line check in system and having to listen to endless sales pitches, an utterly useless safety demonstration and that fucking fanfare when they land on time as though they deserve a medal for doing what they said they would. I genuinely loathe flying Ryanair. But they're convenient and they're cheap and I'll continue to fly with them and not complain overmuch because I know what to expect. I don't get in the plane for pleasure anyway. It just annoys me when people complain because they're getting no frills service after paying a couple of euros on a no frills airline. You can't have it both ways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now