Ryanair passenger experiences

203 posts in this topic

As previously posted, I fly regularly with Ryanscare Ryanair, from Frankfurt Hann to Glasgow and Malaga with no problems over the past 5-6 years. Plus used them for a trip to Morokko in March which was also okay. They are strict with luggage, checked in and hand luggage. In March when we were flying to Morokko, there was a staff member taking people out of the security check in line to weigh their hand luggage making sure it didnt exceed the 10kilo max? They are cheap and not aimed at comfort. Also Ive heard for an extra €5 they will let you pilot the plane :unsure:

Ive never flown with Ryanair, Easyjet or any other budget airline so I cant relate any personal experience with them, but from what Ive heard from the stories of other people I wouldnt want to anyway.

Its all very well to have budget airlines for the chavs and shaven-headed football shirt mob, but my concern is that this downmarket concept could eventually infect all the other airlines as well, which will turn all flying into a hellish experience. Plus imagine Ryanair getting their hands on one of the A380 airbuses. Everyone rushing to claim the window seats and blocking the gangways. Will probably happen eventually anyway, but it doesnt bear thinking about. Ryanair - the future of air travel. :(

It's already happened. The traditional airlines have reacted to the budget-airline boom by slashing their prices and reducing service levels, such as no more food and reduced/stricter luggage allowances. Moreover, budget airlines have brought the concept of plane travel to the masses, and people who previously never even dreamed of flying are now heading off to eastern European cities for stag dos. Once they've taken the leap to becoming a "flier", the step from budget airline to traditional airline is very small, not least since the traditional airlines are now frequently cheaper than the no-frills carriers.

Never mind Snakes On A Plane. Even worse is Chavs On A Plane.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the garish yellow cabin interior! You really need to wear sunglasses in the plane. Also, the seats don't recline and the pitch is poor. Furthermore they tend to use airports in the middle of nowhere, e.g. Hahn, Altenberg, Luebeck (fine for Luebeck, not so hot for Hamburg) and have been known to cancel routes mid season, after you've booked.

However, you get what you pay for and they aren't bad. Was checking out East Midlands to Belfast fares a couple of weeks ago for travel the following week, BMIbaby was £140 return, Ryanair only £34!

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the garish yellow cabin interior! You really need to wear sunglasses in the plane.

However, you get what you pay for and they aren't bad. Was checking out East Midlands to Belfast fares a couple of weeks ago for travel the following week, BMIbaby was £140 return, Ryanair only £34!

The yellow interior sounds like a laugh. That plus the captain doing ad spot announcements. Is there a coinbox slot for using the toilet?

But in these times of climate change consciousness should we be encouraging flights at such low prices? Can we not nab Ryanair & Co for not being climate-friendly..

I don't think we'll have to worry about Ryanair and those other budget airlines for that much longer, if the price of oil keeps going up. Read an article about this in yesterday or Saturday's Guardian.

I flew Ryanair once, from Manchester to Dublin, and to be honest? While the experience wasn't terrible, I just felt dirty afterwards. I used Aer Lingus the next time I went to Dublin, and it cost more or less the same thing. Plus I didn't have to rush to the gate to get a seat. I wouldn't willingly fly Ryanair or EasyJet again. Though I do know someone who went on an EasyCruise...

But hey, you get what you pay for eh.

I don't agree. I have always been happy flying with AirBerlin, EasyJet or Blue1. Ryanair on the other hand are the most expensive cheapo company out there and I can't begin to tell you how much I loathe their "sevice" and rudeness! Never flying with them again if I have a choice.

With Ryanair it's like the bus. It's all about getting there.

Yes!

There was a time when I would have compared the likes of Ryanair vs. proper airlines like using public transport vs. taxis.

Now I'm not so sure. I use both, and while Ryanair/Easyjet/etc. are a bit like a public bus, the others are not that far off. The difference in price is nowhere near the difference in service. In other words: Pay a lot, get that freak free food and drinks served by an unhappy and unhelpful air-slave for free. Or pay little, opt out of (not free) freak-food, get off the plane, get a meal and a drink at your destination. Other than that, I see no difference. I fly with 'normal' airlines and am not impressed. I fly with cheap ones, expect little, get slightly less, and am happy.

One other thing, I got a ryanair flight into Dublin last year and when we landed there was no gate. The pilot then started the most embarrassing slag off of Aer Lingus for being late and stopping us from getting off.

...with a bit of luck your RyanAir flight might even land at the right airport :-)

I think RyanAir are terrible, far and away the worst of the budget carriers I've been on, they are not always much cheaper either when you take into account all the hidden charges. The scramble for a seat isn't a problem if you're travelling alone but if you want to sit next to your travelling companion then it's a pain in the arse. SleazyJet EasyJet seem to do a far better job of not making you feel like cattle.

Tim.

Our daughter flew as cabin crew with Ryanair for about ten months. They use a company that train the crew constantly, then Ryanair takes them on as provisional employees, ie without a contract, which basically means they don't get paid for any days sick, not paid for "at home standby" even though they must be available, not paid for the days they don't fly. They all wait for a contract which is held in front of them like a carrot, but then Ryanair sack the majority and give a contract to just a few. Oh yes, and they had to pay for their own training, accommodations etc while training, and uniforms etc. She hardly earned enough to live on, and certainly not enough to pay back her loans. They actually have links to advertise themselves on gap year sites!!!

As far as flying Ryanair, we have just decided never again. Their luggage policy is ridiculous, but if the check in staff are seen not to charge you for overweight, they will be sacked. The last time we flew to London, we were comparing prices with Easy jet from Munich and Ryanair from Salzburg. Ryanair appeared to be cheaper, but their final charge for the use of the credit card was added right at the end so there was hardly any difference. Very sneaky and i was very cross. Have decided not to contribute to Michael O'Leary's profits any more!

Ive flown on Ryan Air about 3 times. Nothing extraordinary to tell...its a discount airline, no frills, etc. Its short distance, so suffic to say, what do you really expect for such a short leg of the trip?

As CC says, it s budget airline what do you expect. Pay peanuts you get monkeys... If your looking for comfort,free drinks-food, or the yellow or orange colour of the cabin annoys you??? Ryanair or Easyjet are not for you. Yeah book with another airline... but for a short flight from Frankfurt - Berlin max 45 mins or Frankfurt - Glasgow 1hr 30min, I aint looking for comfort etc... if I want comfort and on a long haul flight to the States or Asia or a flight thats over 4hrs, Ill use another airline...

As far as I'm concerned Ryanair are only good for one thing, they force the other "real" airlines to keep their prices low. Air Berlin do good service at a reasonable price and don't treat you like cattle.

I fly with them alot for short flights, I rarely have any luggage and so with the online check-in and "priority boarding" that includes, it's always been quick and fairly painless. I think for families it's not a good choice because of the free for all seating but for singles or couples it's fine. Most flights I have been on with them have landed on time or early, nobody makes a fuss over you sure, but I don't need that (for flights in which you barely have enough time to manage a coffee anyway) and would rather fly for less and thus more often!

The difference in price is nowhere near the difference in service.

So would you say that the Ryanair ground staff and cabin crew were just as professional as BA staff, for example?