Ryanair passenger experiences

203 posts in this topic

Can anyone else who's flown with Ryanair say what it's like?

Up till now, I've never used them, always used one of the major airlines, like British Airways or Lufthansa, as I can be pretty sure, at least with BA, that hassle and stress will be minimised: e.g. if the flight is delayed, it's not likely to be for too long; they'll actually remember to pack the luggage; if the luggage does go AWOL, they'll deliver it to you fairly quickly; planes are clean and comfortable, the staff are polite, professional and helpful. That's my experience, at least. (Have had major hassle with KLM, for example, on each and every of the rare occasions I've flown with them, so have learned to appreciate the professionalism of the other airlines.)

Anyway, would consider using Ryanair, but not if it's likely to be a stress fest.

Ryanair isnt an airline that strives for happy comfortable customers. It is a cost-reducing cult that believes in one thing only - reducing costs to make flights cheaper. Works on the assumption that if flights are cheaper, the customer is happier.

Have flown with them a few times and have been fine, though wouldnt want to be relying too heavily upon them eg a christmas eve flight from an airport that has one ryanair flight a day is asking or spending xmas in NiederSachsen or wherever Frankfurt is in the Ryanair mind.

Have to respect them for the singular focus on cutting and cutting and cutting costs year after year though

I've flown Ryan Air an average of 6 or 8 times a year for the past 6 years and have never had any hassles. Yes the costs are seperated, but you do save a lot still once you've totalled it up. Especially if you aren't bothered where you sit and let the masses fight it out before you casually make your way onto the plane (it's usually only a short flight so I don't see what the fuss is about over finding the perfect seat)

The airports are usually really small so you can almost see your luggage at all times, and I've never had a mix up. Same thing with it being smaller airports when there's some crisis like the 'liquids' law in the uk instigated at the last minute I found there to be less hassle.

I've only used them once, several years ago, and the staff at checkin did me over for being a few grams over the max hand luggage weight. Think it was just because I checked in really early and they were bored, as people carrying huge bags staggered onto the plane, barely able to carry them.

Anyway, my sisters got stuck at a regional airport in Spain for hours because their return flight was cancelled, and my mother-in-law and her three colleagues had to pay for a hire car to get from (I think) Baden Baden to Frankfurt Hahn AND pay for new tickets at a couple of hundred Euros each because Ryanair cancelled the outbound flight and then claimed that they had been notified that the scheduled flight had been moved from Mondays to Sundays. They are currently considering legal action, but jurisdiction is in Ireland.

So personally I wouldn't touch them, but it seems to be pot luck - if you get unlucky, you will not get service.

Ryanair are cheap and cheerful - you get what you pay for. ;)

The only problem is where you're flying to/from. If it's a daily dual rotation and a plane goes 'tech' then you have a problem.

Funny hand baggage story:

I flew out to LAX in Feb from the UK. Primarily to spend some time at Laguna Beach and chill, attend a gig in San Diego and meet up with some Yankee mates. Whilst in the departure lounge, BA announced the flight was full and hand baggage was being restricted to 5 kilos per person. I only had one bag but it weighed 40 kilos. After watching numerous Brits and Yanks depositing their unlocked valuables down the baggage shute, I strode up to the gate:

"More than one bag sir?"

(nonchalantly tossing 40k in the air with one arm) "No, just the one ..."

"And it weighs under/or 5 kilos?"

(swings it a bit) "Of course! I used the weighing machines in the gate lounge."

"You're free to board". :D

I won't bore you with carrying the bag straight-armed onboard and passing by the smiling stewardesses (me grimacing in a half smile) and then casually tossing it into the overhead locker.

I think my heart rate and sweat stopped after about 30mins into the flight , but my right fore-arm ached for about three days.

But worth it though, as I arrived in LAX and was in the arrival bit and met by a girl friend in 14mins. B)

Up till now, I've never used them, always used one of the major airlines, like British Airways or Lufthansa, as I can be pretty sure, at least with BA, that hassle and stress will be minimised: e.g. if the flight is delayed, it's not likely to be for too long; they'll actually remember to pack the luggage; if the luggage does go AWOL, they'll deliver it to you fairly quickly; planes are clean and comfortable, the staff are polite, professional and helpful. That's my experience, at least.

Ryanair is the exact opposite to what your experiences have been.

Flew from Frankfurt Hahn to Kerry at Christmas. The pilot comes on the speakers before take off and instead of introducing himself and then calmly talking about "we'll be flying at an altitude of blah, blah, blah" he introduces himself and then trys to sell everyone €15 call-credit for the price of €10! I'm a nervous flyer(putting it lightly) so I nearly shite myself.

Up till now, I've never used them, always used one of the major airlines, like British Airways or Lufthansa, as I can be pretty sure, at least with BA, that hassle and stress will be minimised: e.g. if the flight is delayed, it's not likely to be for too long; they'll actually remember to pack the luggage; if the luggage does go AWOL, they'll deliver it to you fairly quickly; planes are clean and comfortable, the staff are polite, professional and helpful. That's my experience, at least. (Have had major hassle with KLM, for example, on each and every of the rare occasions I've flown with them, so have learned to appreciate the professionalism of the other airlines.)

Anyway, would consider using Ryanair, but not if it's likely to be a stress fest.

since moving here in april they're actually the only airline i've used to travel. my recommendations when flying ryanair...pack light and don't be late for your flight. they'll get you on baggage weight and are not the least bit helpful if you miss your flight. i missed my flight in the states once and they put me on standby for the next flight, no charge. not so with ryanair...as with everything else they charge you. but, the flights are all cheap, non-stop, and short so the no-assigned-seat-thing really isn't a big deal unless you get stuck sitting next to some huge guy that takes up every available bit of his seat and spills over into yours too...but that's not something unique to ryanair.

i missed my flight in the states once and they put me on standby for the next flight, no charge.

I dont see the point in comparing such service. They are advertised and priced as a no-frills airline, I don't see why people then get upset about a lack of certain frills to be honest

but, the flights are all cheap,

well exactly

the no-assigned-seat-thing really isn't a big deal

if you're on your own that is. I've never had a particular problem with seating arrangements

And Lorelei, the chances of bags going missing are minimal as there are no connections. I think you're probably a bit naive to think that the 'national' airlines are better at avoiding delays or losing baggage

I cant say I've had more problems with Ryanair than with other airlines - as long as you understand what they are offering theres no problem IMO

And I find it nicer with the smaller airports used as the process is usually much quicker

I agree. I almost always fly ryanair and have not had any major problems. If you were moving your whole family from one location to another with a lot of baggage then Ryanair would not be the airline to choose, but if you're travelling light and you book well in advance then Ryanair is recommended.

Incidentally, their safety record is good - while the cabin crew and desk staff are not particularly well paid, their mechanics are.

I usually fly from Germany to Ireland via London Stansted and sometimes I book two flights from London in case the flight from Germany is delayed - it's probably not more expensive than the insurance they offer.

If there is a choice and prices are comparable, I usually choose EasyJet over Ryanair, because I tend to find the former a bit more customer-friendly. As has been stated above, if you understand that you get what you pay for on Ryanair and are prepared to have a bit of a scrum at the gate, then it is a good, cheap way to fly. I recently flew from London Stansted to Lübeck for £20 (€30) return, which is pretty unbeatable, and was a trouble-free trip. I have just got back from the Dordogne, flying from Bergerac, which is another tiny airport, and had an OK flight, although a bit rough and ready, with no opportunity to buy tax-free goods.

Ryanair will charge you for everything and even if you check-in online you have to pay for it, but it does also give you priority boarding. The cabin crew are usually cheerful and friendly, although they have to spend most of the flight trying to sell you things. If your main priority is economy and you don't expect free food and huge seats with lots of leg room, then it's fine.

Thanks for the interesting feedback, everyone. That was a pretty cheeky baggage strategy, Johnny M! ;)

And Lorelei, the chances of bags going missing are minimal as there are no connections. I think you're probably a bit naive to think that the 'national' airlines are better at avoiding delays or losing baggage

They can forget to put the baggage on the plane. That happened to me on a short flight with one smaller European airline and was a major inconvenience. I'm just going from my own experience of flying regularly with different European airlines for the past 15 years.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread for a question for those with experience:

When using their reservation system, they make you confirm you can present a valid EEA/EU ID or passport. In all their FAQs they are very specific about which countries this includes, and which are acceptable. Before booking, I want to make 100% sure my American passport will also be accepted. I realize I am worrying and being overly analytical, but that's what I do.

Does anyone have experience with this? I will be calling their support number tomorrow, and will post the answer, but just thought I'd put this out there too.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread for a question for those with experience:

When using their reservation system, they make you confirm you can present a valid EEA/EU ID or passport. In all their FAQs they are very specific about which countries this includes, and which are acceptable. Before booking, I want to make 100% sure my American passport will also be accepted. I realize I am worrying and being overly analytical, but that's what I do.

Does anyone have experience with this? I will be calling their support number tomorrow, and will post the answer, but just thought I'd put this out there too.

please reread your post and think again :rolleyes:

Fine smartass, here is their specific text...

Please confirm you will present a valid EEA/EU passport or valid EU/EEA Government issued National Identity Card at the airport

@TFL - After checking Ryanair's website, I can see why you are a bit confused. Here are answers to two FAQs: (my bolds)

WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO PRODUCE AT THE AIRPORT WHEN USING ONLINE CHECK- IN?

Each passenger who has checked in online must present either their valid passport or National Identity Card, issued by the government of an EU/ European Economic Area (EEA) country which matches the document details printed on their online boarding pass, at both airport security and the departure gate.

WHAT PHOTO-ID DO I NEED?

All passengers must present valid photo identification to check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:

• A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).
  • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (for travel within the Schengen area only),or Switzerland.
  • A valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID for travel on domestic flights within the UK and domestic flights within the Republic of Ireland.
  • For travel on domestic flights within Italy only, a valid driving licence with photo issued by the applicable Italian authorities is acceptable photo-id.
  • For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.
  • In accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document issued by a Government in place of a valid passport is acceptable.

It would seem that you can travel on any valid passport, but for some bizarre reason, only EU/EEA passport holders are eligible for checking in online. But the way the bold area is worded in the first quote could be misleading. It could mean 1) a valid passport, OR 2)an EU/EEA National Identity Card holder. However, the way they worded it in the confirmation of the reservation system as you wrote it above isn't so vague. But I can't imagine that only EU/EEA passport holders are allowed to fly Ryanair, unless there is some bizarre subsidy scheme or something.

Guess a phone call would be a good idea. Please post your answer, I would be interested to hear it.

It would seem that you can travel on any valid passport, but for some bizarre reason, only EU/EEA passport holders are eligible for checking in online.

Ahhh, I completely missed that possibility. I went back through the flight booking, and yes, you are right. When I do Airport check-in this text goes away. I'll be booking this way then. Too bad, since it means non EUers pay a 10 euro penalty :(

They should call Ryanair the singles' airline.

If you're a family - party of three like we are, and only want to check one piece of luggage, you have to pay a 30-euro fee, because even if only one person in the party is checking luggage, the other two are not allowed to do the online check-in, and so pay higher fees.

Maybe it was a technical screw-up but the Ryanair site when we booked also failed to accept our EC card as payment, so we were forced to book via credit card. The transaction costs are charged per person, per flight - so our party of three ended up with six credit card charges on one trip, adding 10% to the cost of the flight.

You start to wonder if you're going to have to be standing around with your wallet open once you get to the airport.

I find Ryanair really crap and would choose Easyjet over Ryanair everytime. In fact, I've vowed never to fly with them again. I find them extremely unhelpful and unprofessional. And yes, you might save money on the flights but they really do get you on your luggage and anything else they can. I was slightly overweight once and the amount of money I paid for the privaledge was more than the bloody flight itself. That really pissed me off!

Also, the seats are plastic and uncomfortable.

Even the way the flight attendants do their little safety demonstration was rubbish on Ryanair! On Easyjet, the staff seem to take it seriously and really do the movements in sync and correctly, whereas on Ryanair it was a joke!

I find the flight attendants are twats in general and extremely unhelpful and rude.

I was slightly overweight once and the amount of money I paid for the privaledge was more than the bloody flight itself.

Christ on a bike! :o

I'm not flying with that lot then, it'd cost a bloody fortune for a fat twat like me. :unsure:

I was slightly overweight once and the amount of money I paid for the privaledge was more than the bloody flight itself. That really pissed me off!

Did they weigh you? How did they assess your overweightedness otherwise?