TT Paddlers - canoeing and kayaking group

328 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Anyone know anything about sea kayaking other than the obvious? wondering about good venues reachable by car from Munich and hire of gear etc.

Any info much appreciated.

All I can offer is that every time I've been to Chiemsee I've seen sea kayaks out and about on the water - to my eye all the boats that I've seen there look to be private owned, i.e. I haven't seen any of the typical plastic boats that you see in hire fleets, they've either been high end or something from the 1800's. ;)

I've not seen much on the other lakes but then I think Chiemsee is probably more interesting for kayakers because it offers real purpose to your paddle - i.e. you can visit an island for lunch or something, instead of just paddling around in a circle.

Dave aka PolarQuest has relocated to Sweden.

I guess the reason that WK references him is that part of the PolarQuest product portfolio included sea kayaking tours.

His current website is still under construction but it does include a contact address if you're interested.

My apologies Jon, I did not understand the relevance of your question.

Thanks for the info Jon and Jay Gee I will mail him and see if he can help out.

Maybe meet you guys on the water some time (assuming I get a boat sorted).

Cheers

This weekend I tried out a LiquidLogic Remix 79 and loved it - has the comfort and volume of my H3 combined with a displacement hull which I've got used to with my RPM.

Don't tell MrsGee but I'm thinking about adding another boat to the fleet - anyone interested in the H3?

I'll be heading to the UK over Easter, during that time I'll be dropping the H3 off with a buyer and picking up a Remix from Brookbank Canoes in Stockport. If I can pick anything up for anyone else whilst I'm there please PM me.

I paddled the Rißbach with some German paddling friends on Sunday - should anyone be interested here's a short summary:

The White Water North Alps book has it about right - pretty much continuous grade 2/2+ with some sections of grade 3 and two grade 4 rapids. Both of the grade 4s can be easily portaged - which I did for both and our whole group (two kayaks and two open boats) did for the first.

Because of its continuous nature it's definately the sort of trip where you need some experienced paddlers along because if you take a swim you really need a chase boater around to secure your boat before it disappears over the horizon. Throw lines and safety kit are also essential should anyone go for the grade 4 sections as you need to get people out pretty sharpish.

The section before the take-out is a grade 3 gorge and as the section beyond the take-out is grade 6 you need to be solid on grade 3 to enter that section - taking a swim could be fatal (and I believe has been). Fortunately there is an alternative take-out at the road bridge that marks the start of that section.

Hi,

I am the parent of a leading young whitewater slalom canoe racer in the United States. He and some other serious young slalom paddlers (ages 15-20) are planning a trip to Europe this summer to compete on a number of courses in Germany, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. They are flying in and out of Munich.

Due to the cost of transporting their boats (up to $800 round trip), we are looking into the possibility of borrowing, renting or buying 3.5 meter K1 and C1 racing boats to use while they are there (for about 3 weeks).

Anyone have any leads on where they might find boats in or around Munich or Augsburg?

Regards,

D. Malakoff

There's at least one, possibily two clubs based at the Augsburg facility. I know that they have slalom boats there and very often they have youngsters out on the water in them. BUT I have no idea whether the boats are owned by the club(s) or if they're private boats which are stored there OR indeed whether they'd be prepared to lend/hire them out. I would guess that there's an opportunity for some good publicity for all concerned if you can find the right contact point - maybe offer to host an exchange visit from their club?

Maybe you could try the contacts which are listed here - chances are you'll be able to get hold of someone through that route that will be able to speak English but I guess given the trip that you're planning maybe you have some German speakers who could help anyway.

Keep us posted on how things develop.

Hi dmalakoff,

Most of the slalom boats on the racks at Augsburg clubs are out of date junk, you would nort want to compete in them!

I would suggest contacting some of the race boat manufacturers over here to see if you could muscle up a small fleet of demo boats. Right now the two main manufacturers making competitive K1 boats are in Czech Republic anyway and do at times have demo boats around, at least they would be competitive to paddle, they are, www.galasport.cz , they make both K1 and C1 comp boats. Also MS Composites www.ms-composite.cz , they produced a great slalom hull for Beijing Olympics. Both these guys are making serious boats over here and may be able to help you out. You can also try Googling other manufacturers for German boats, I think Prijon still make composite C1`s...

Good luck!

I know the thread it a bit dead, but does anyone know if there are any paddling shops in Munich? I need some new gear, some of which you really need to try on (dry top, PFD).

Himmel

hey there. if you look up www.wildmountain.de - they appear to have everything kayak, good makes like sweet protection etc. shop address is on the website.

kayakbetty.

I now have (some of) my paddling kit in Munich, and am keen to get boating. Is anyone here active with any of the clubs? Any recommendations? Also, any local knowledge about playwaves would be helpful :). Does the eisbach wave that surfers use go in a kayak or is it too shallow? Found another wave about 500m up in the Englisher Garten - danger of death signs but looks good to me, depending what's in the bottom!

have you checked the Globetrotter Store at Isartor? They even have a pool where they give classes or you can try your equipment.

http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/muenchen-zentrum/globetrotter-erlebnis-kaufhaus-isartor-1148471.html

markw, if you check out 4-paddlers.com - under the flussinfo tab, there is a link to "rodeospots". there is also all the same info for austria etc.

kayakbetty.