TT Paddlers - canoeing and kayaking group

328 posts in this topic

Anyone wanting to paddle at the Augsburg Whitewater site on a regular basis? I`m planning on travelling two or three times a week from North Munich, to Augsburg and would offer transport to other paddlers interested in paddling there. For those who have not been there, its an awesome venue, the main channel offers some great grade IV whitewater water & playwaves, there are two other channels offering moderate and easy whitewater. The restaurant is good and it a fun place to hang out on a warm day. So far, have not met any other English speaking paddlers there. Anyone? :unsure:

Yes me please! :)

I've done paddling with a dragon boat team back home. How advanced do you have to be for kayaking in grade IV whitewater? I'd love to give it a go!

Cheers,

Y.

Hi Y...I think...although not certain..that they have dragon boat racing out at the flatwater site (near Unterschleisheim, the Olympic Rowing venue)

I perhaps would not advise jumping right into grade IV water!! If you are interested in learning/improving, there is a small group of paddlers I am coaching here in Eching you would be welcome to join, once you have some basic skills, the easier channel at Augsburg is great for progresive paddlers, its even lit at night, which makes fall paddling possible. I would suggest you hook up with us out at the lake initially and go from there., or simply come along to Augsburg next time and see what you think. Ideally, what I`m trying to promote is getting a small group of paddlers active here on a regular basis. There is some awesome paddling all around Bavaria, and Austria has some of the best Whitewater in Europe.

I generally have a spare boat etc if you don`t have your own.

I`ll put up a post when I know when we are heading out to Augsburg next.

dave

Great initiative - count me in.

JG

BTW I'm also able to offer transport for people/boats

I'm a bit of a "has been" paddler, with some fond memories of playing about at Augsburg in the early 90's. I still have my Topolino in the cellar and all the gear. Sometimes I think there'd be nothing like just jumping on the Eiskanal again just for the rush;-) Is it the "zoom flume" half way down, that hits you with force, gobbles you up, then spits you out in the air? Great stuff, indeed.

I've done sections of the Inn, Otz, Trisana and Loisach, but what are the other rivers nearby that are good? I've often looked at the river flowing down the Hinteriss valley and thought it would be good fun.

later,

-Colin.

I'm also a "has been" paddler, but we're talking late-80s slalom kayaking. As a paddler I used to hate the swimmers in the Eiskanal, but nowadays I prefer swimming myself.

See also: Eiskanal - Wikipedia

The Eiskanal is an artificial canal feature in the city of Augsburg that was constructed as the whitewater kayaking and canoeing venue for the 1972 Summer Olympics that were hosted in Munich, Germany. The first artificial whitewater course of its kind, it has served as a prototype for numerous artificial courses since constructed. The Eiskanal is still considered a world-class venue, and hosts many World Cup and other international races.

post-16-1188290639.jpg

I'm also a has been paddler, and talk every year about getting back into it. I still have a spraydeck, 2 slalom paddles, and a schlegl for white water.

Did somebody say they have a spare boat. What kind? My new best friend!!!

I've some some top white water in the alps. Its great, the hotter the day, the more water in Spring, unlike in Ireland where I learnt, and the more rain and miserable, the more water.

Cool. Sounds like there are some cobwebs to be brushed of some boating gear!

Editor Bob, I also was an 80`s slalom paddler. Going to Augsburg has me fired up to have a second go round around the gates and hopefully hit some "Masters" slaloms next year (although the term "Masters" has me somewhat spooked!)

MadAxeMurderer huh. You sound like a fun guy to boat with! I do have a spare boat from the end of the month (Dagger Redline) you`d be welcome to try. Theres also a healthy turnover of inexpensive, used boats on www.soulboater.de if you get back into paddling. I`m sure between all of us, we can get enough boats together. I even have an Irish paddle. Will you bring your own axe?

Chantily, give me a call or email (0151-110-45454 - info@polarquest.us) if you want to come along to Augsburg next trip, or get in a boat .

Would be fun if we can get a group trip out there one weekend soon.

JayGee, how does your schedule look for a weekend paddle?

William, if you are out there, hows it going getting your kit & and do you also need a boat or are you bringing one from the UK?

Anyone wanting to try paddling on flat water first can come on out to the lake in Eching, evenings are best, and I can pick you up at Lohof station if you do not have a vehicle.

Perhaps we have a TT Whitewater team by next year!

Colin, are you going to drag out your Topo? I`d for sure be into making some trips to the Inn this fall if you are interested. Dave

about 2 weeks ago I was on a raft trip on the Vlata River - not real big rapids, but a few wiers where one of our canoes did tip, you could choose from rafts(2-6 person), canoes and kayaks. Was alot of fun, not sure if I could do the Eiskanal though.

JayGee, how does your schedule look for a weekend paddle?

I think Sunday might be a possibility - how about a session on the lake and then head over to the Ismanning bridge? If you're without a car I'd be happy to drive.

I could bring the touring boats over as well if you're still interested in using them on the lake.

Perhaps we have a TT Whitewater team by next year!

Or at least the beginning of TTKC...

JG

Saturday would be good at the lake. Also have the car back then so can also go the Ismaning wave afterward. Touring boats would be good to have at the lake also, thanks.

Anyone else wishing to join us, email me and I`ll set up time/place directions etc etc.

Dave

Carm,

There is a rafting outfit out at Augsburg, I think the Eiskanal would be a blast in a paddle boat. i`ll try and find a link, but am sure if you Google rafting Augsburg, it will bring up the site. Where is the Vlata river?

Dave

Saturday would be good at the lake. Also have the car back then so can also go the Ismaning wave afterward.

Saturday afternoon *might* be possible - I'll check with the boss...

JG

Colin, are you going to drag out your Topo? I`d for sure be into making some trips to the Inn this fall if you are interested. Dave

Prefer the Eiskanal first, although powerful, it is safe. I'm sure the topo is okay, but I have to check my dry-top and spray deck first to see if nothing's perished. Last time they saw action was nearly 10 years ago now on a spate run of the Orchy on the west coast of Scotland. Was great fun, but kind of summed up my career as a paddler: getting reverse looped and being upside down half the time;-) First weekend I could make it would be Sept 22nd. That reminds me, I'll put some old Scottish boating slides onto Flickr...

JayGee...I meant Sunday...sorry

That makes life easier - I'll give you a bell to arrange time, etc.

JG