Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is fasting popular in Germany?

66 posts in this topic

My German neighbor recently completed a fast where she only drank liquids and got a type of "fasting kit" from the apotheke that I assume provided the liquids.

The idea was to clean out her system and she said it worked quite well and it was nothing too extreme. Have any of you done something similiar?

Is this popular in Germany?

Have also tried fasting with copies amounts of beer. The only thing is, when finished boozing the urge is to much to resist a gyros mit pommes. Then the next weekend comes and its back to square one to try again.

Have tried though.

Not the answer you were looking for me thinks.

Taxi...

Lots of people here fast and think it is good for you, getting all of the poisons out of your body.

As an American, this sounds highly unhealthy to me and I would never do it.

Well, because eating is fairly necessary for survival and it is unnatural not to eat for days at a time. Especially for someone with weight problems, your body goes into starvation mode and as soon as you start eating again it starts storing energy for future emergencies.

Plus, you run around weakened and like a zombie. I don't think I could manage to work while starving myself, and that seems to be an indication that it's not good for you.

So I have no proof, it just seems like a silly thing to do to me. I don't think there are poisons in our system which don't come out unless you stop running the system...seems they'd come out just fine with stuff running through you.

A (German) friend of mine just did this recently for 5 days as she had had an op and wanted to get all the toxins from the medication out of her system. I thought she was mad but she said Heilfasten is very common here and that she knows many people who routinely do it once or twice a year. She just drank lots of water and pure juices. I was strangely drawn to the process so tried it but only lasted a day - I just can't cope with hunger! She insists that after the second day you don't feel the hunger any more.

I don't know about the physical benefits for sure but can imagine that psychologically the feeling of cleansing can be needed/beneficial.

EDIT: Dunno how to put this link behind the word Heilfasten above, but here's the lowdown: http://www.heilfastenkur.de/

EDIT: It's not about dieting. I agree that as a diet it would be stupid. It's about cleansing.

Well, because eating is fairly necessary for survival and it is unnatural not to eat for days at a time. Especially for someone with weight problems, your body goes into starvation mode and as soon as you start eating again it starts storing energy for future emergencies.

Plus, you run around weakened and like a zombie. I don't think I could manage to work while starving myself, and that seems to be an indication that it's not good for you.

So I have no proof, it just seems like a silly thing to do to me. I don't think there are poisons in our system which don't come out unless you stop running the system...seems they'd come out just fine with stuff running through you.

Totally agree. It's the most retarted way of trying to diet.

I don't think they use it to diet but rather as a physical & mental purification activity (pseudo-religious).

I completely agree that fasting for more than a day or two could be pretty dangerous as many things start to happen in your body, like dropping blood-pressure, lowered immune system activity, etc... After a few days, because of chemical reactions within your body, you start to give off a bad 'corpse-like' odour. :huh:

They are not using it as a way of dieting, it is a way of getting rid of toxins from the body... Every day our bodies have to struggle to cope with the crap thrown into it, full of sugar, salt, alcohol, preservatives and other chemicals, etc and it probably makes sense to give it a break from time to time...

Many people do it, but I recently read an article that said it's absolutely unnecessary and not healthy as the liver and kidneys do a well-enough job of ridding your body of toxins.

Not totally true - depends on your lifestyle... If you eat a lot of things that are difficult for the liver and kidneys to process and drink loadsa alcohol, your body is going to suffer and not function as it should...

Obviously, but in that case, I do not think a day of fasting is going to help much. I guess in that way then I am always fasting. :D

Edit: Here is the article (it's in German as I found it when doing research on this a few weeks ago for myself):

http://www.aok.de/bund/rd/166303.htm

Wie steht es mit Ihrem Körper? Haben Sie schon entschlackt? Ihren Darm gereinigt, ihre Leber entgiftet? Keine Angst, das brauchen Sie auch gar nicht. Ganz im Gegenteil. Die Empfehlung sollte lauten: Hände weg von Radikaldiäten, Entschlackungs- und Fastenkuren!

Bei Hunger schaltet der Körper sein Notprogramm ein und drosselt den Energieverbrauch. Das führt dazu, dass man noch weniger Kalorien verbrennt und bei der ersten kleinen „Sünde“ sofort wieder zunimmt – der berüchtigte Jo-Jo-Effekt! Und was man noch wissen sollte: Die versprochene Entschlackung und Darmreinigung, die beim Fasten stattfinden soll, ist nach Meinung seriöser Experten völliger Unsinn. So genannte „Schlacken“ gibt es im Körper gar nicht. Bei ausreichender Trinkmenge (etwa zwei Liter pro Tag) entsorgen Leber und Nieren alles, was der Körper nicht braucht!

[...]

My first healing fast was actually in the German hospital in Berlin where they had me fast to help heal an infection that I had. I was surprised at how easy it actually is it has not ruined my metabolism. The Europeans have a much different idea about fasting than Americans so most Americans will tell you it is bad while most Europeans will say it is ok.

Since the German doctors suggested it and it did not hurt me, I think it is ok to fast with supervision and knowledge of what you are doing.

I don't think this person is trying to diet.

My German neighbor recently completed a fast where she only drank liquids and got a type of "fasting kit" from the apotheke that I assume provided the liquids.

The idea was to clean out her system and she said it worked quite well and it was nothing too extreme. Have any of you done something similiar?

Is this popular in Germany?

A lot of people must do this in some form to rid their innards of problems such as constipation, stomach cramps, infection, etc. There are healthy ways of doing it, but definitely consult a doctor - don't just rely on SELF magazine's fast for a week program of peppermint tea and vegetable broth, for instance.

Heilfasten is not a diet for weight loss but a detox and I don't think you should do it if you have to work, as you should have a quiet relaxing time doing it.

I've never tried it before but some work colleague of my mum swore by it.

Don't think it's unhealthy under supervision and only lasts a week or so. It is probably more unhealthy to eat too much of the things we eat in the 'Western' world.

they recently had a tv program in the uk which tested two groups. they were students who'd just completed their exams and had gone on the typical bender for days. the first group got to continue eating and drinking what they wanted and the second group fasted on water and a few grains etc.

after a few days they were tested in various ways for toxins, weight change, etc, etc and surprise, surprise, there was no difference. it was quite amusing to see the reaction of the group who had fasted. during the experiment, they complained of headaches, nausea, there were noticably wild mood swings and even signs of depression. all for... nothing.

i view this german belief along with wearing a scarf in summer if you have a 'bit of a sore throat' and being afraid of opening the window because you'll die from the breeze, yet going cycling and thus creating an even greater breeze. naive or immersed in old wives' tales? you tell me.

It's been done through the ages, typically in Asia where it is considered a spiritually motivated endeavour. To strengthen the mind by training it to disregard the body's demands, and the body to heal by cleansing it of all that is unpure. What are the statistics re. a person deprived of food, and that of one deprived of liquids? Obviously this proves that liquids are the more essential, and thus, a short-term responsibly performed fast is not 'retarded' nor 'unnecessary'. Forms of fasting (or deprivation) are even present in Catholicism and Islam, Lent and Ramadan respectively.

I also don't understand what 'being an American' has to do with the validity of the concept.

It's been done through the ages, typically in Asia where it is considered a spiritually motivated endeavour. To strengthen the mind by training it to disregard the body's demands

Yeah, I do think if you do it for that reason it can be helpful, but not to physically cleanse your body.