Germans: Why are you here?

260 posts in this topic

Why are Germans on this board? Who invited them? This forum is for ex-pats whose native tongue is English. It's a place for English speakers (who culturally tend to have much more in common with each other than with the natives) to get away from their Teutonic existence and relax among others who think, feel and act in more common ways.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate a German voice here or there providing some bit of German common knowledge which we forinjers could never consider, such as what to do and where to go when the neighbour's dog is pissing on your front door every day, but the influx of Krauts here has had an overall detrimental effect on the board.

* Complaints

We (especially UKians and USians) bitch. A lot. We moan and complain and whinge about all sorts of problems and stupidities we encounter in our everyday lives as ex-pats. It's how we let off steam. With all the Krauts on-board we can't do this anymore without a bunch of entries from the natives defending German behaviour and systems. Hör ma gut zua: When we're posting here we don't care what's "normal" here. We deal with that in our real lives. It's not "normal" to us. This board is a place we can be our normal selves and complain about the vicious old ladies who try to bulldog their way in front of a queue, and where our fellow ex-pats can commiserate. Why can't you understand that and leave us alone to be non-German for an hour a day? Instead of commiseration in threads I find German defensiveness and a quick thread deterioration into a shiny, happy PC attitude or a discussion of the benefits thereof. Fuck that.

* Language

Despite our differences in language usage and style, we come here to communicate in English. This is the one place we can go where we're guaranteed not to have to read a bunch of posts in which the author continually fucks up preposition usage, especially in the case of "to", "by", "until" and "since". This is a place we can escape the utterly childish-sounding "blah-blah-blah" which Germans use in place of "&c.", "and so on" or possibly even "and other stuff like that". You sound like retards when you say that in English! Stop it!

* Culture

I don't give a shit that you find my observations about your culture distasteful. They're my observations and opinions. I'm a forinjer. This is what the place looks like to me, and the way I see and describe it to other English-speaking ex-pats makes lots more sense to them than anything you might say.

In the same vein, I don't care what you think about our cultures. Your views are myopic, blinded by tunnel-vision and your general pig-headed Teutonic belief that what you learned in school from your German English-language teacher must be correct, to hell with what the people who are actually from English-speaking lands might say.

Why the fuck are you here?

woof

Well said that Doggie.

Why are Germans on this board? Who invited them? This forum is for ex-pats whose native tongue is English.

Many UKians and USians on this board write the most appalling English, stuff that a seven year old should be ashamed of, so that complaint about the Germans' grammar is somewhat less than solid.

PS: The Times is saying 'history will repeat itself'. Which bit of history I'm not sure, but they were talking about 5-1. That's the way to treat Germans.

moan whinge moan whinge moan

I would like to recommend you eat more banananananananananananans 16261.gif. I get this feeling that your potassium is hitting a low level.

Edit: For a more serious answer; it's probably because those Germans on the forum have travelled to English speaking countries and found the natives warm and friendly folk. Now they're back in Germany they'd like to keep that memory alive by associating with those people they felt welcoming however they can. Shame you like to burst their bubble.

Dear BadDoggie,

I always say I am here because I like being in touch with English-speaking people in Germany, and because this way I can write on a forum about Munich, and because I enjoy writing and reading on an English-speaking forum, but, and this is the first time I am revealing this, secretly (well, I guess it's not so secret anymore now) I only write here to piss you off. Yep, that's right. I signed up just to annoy you with my Germanness and to spoil TT for all you expats who don't want Germans here.

No love,

Mariposa :rolleyes:

Germany are on this forum because it is interesting, even with the bitching and posting about "OHMYGAWDwhycantigetsquirreltaildonutsindowntownBollockinganderpiesel" this forum is more interesting than a lot of German forums.

If spelling is anything to go by then there are a hell of a lot of mentally non-native english writers on this board.

Edited to change an unsightly spelling error, okay, ja., I mean, yes. Or.

I am here because I like being in touch with English-speaking people in Germany

translation : I need to get laid

you'll fit in here - o yes

I am German (and also Portuguese) but I was raised in the UK - so English is as much my native tongue as yours, however I am also German...so that's why I am here.

Sorry, I am not that teutonic. That's the Japanese anyway... (oh wait no, that was the victory sign... ah well...)

"OHMYGAWDwhycantigetbagelsbagelsbagelsbagelsindowtownBollockinganderpiesel"

I fixed your post for you. I thought it was slightly off.

As for me, I like the Germans, otherwise I'd be some kind of real sicko to have lived here so long and to have learnt their language as well. Oh.

Anyway, like any forum there is a distinct culture to TT which has been a product of the members - if folk like banter, they will have banter. And if they want to let off some steam, they will. Have a whinge about the bastards at the KVR (who are bastards, quite clearly and would be bastards regardless of nationality for that is their job). But they will come here and keep coming because they feel like they belong, regardless of origin or nationality. So it isn't for everyone, but passports aren't required.

Toytown Germany

It's a broad church. And on alternate Sundays, a church of broads.

I agree with BadDoggie to some extent. Like him, I don't mind those German TTers who contribute to the forum on a general level. But I don't want to start seeing every criticism (or perceived criticism) of German people or culture immediately frowned on or refuted by German users - and this has been happening more often. As has been said, I enjoy a good whinge from time to time about Germans and don't always want to get shot down for being 'too negative', 'unwilling to integrate', 'stereotypically American', 'intolerant', or whatever.

I guess there are those that say it's good for TT to have 'the German viewpoint'. But you know what? I've got a German boyfriend, German friends, German colleagues, German neighbours, German telly, German radio, German newspapers and German films for when I need the German viewpoint - and trust me, all of those sources are all too happy to share their viewpoints with me even without me asking.

TT is a board for native English-speakers. Full stop. I guess, as with so many other issues, it's up to the management to decide whether or not an influx of Germans is useful for the forum.