Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Converting a Sony CD player and tape deck to 220V

6 posts in this topic

I would like to get rid of a bulky 220->110 Volt external transformer that I am using for a Sony cd player and tape deck I bought when I lived in the States.

Sony's support said it can't be done, but I guess with all the US expats living here there might be some specialized shop that could change the two internal power supplies.

All suggestions welcome

Ivan

The thing you need to change is called a "netzteil". The problem will be finding one that fits. It would be easier to find a less bulky transformer of which there are plenty to be had. In fact, I have a few to get rid of myself. To bad you live in Frankfurt.

Unless it's very very high end gear, it's not worth it. Replacing them with a new CD & tape deck will be cheaper

I'm on the fence about that. They are medium price, no gadgets, but the sort of stuff that lasts forever; they have been moved twice since I bought them in 1999, and never had a problem with either unit.

But you're right, replacing the Netzteil might be not worth the expense.

The thing you need to change is called a "netzteil".

Actually, maybe I could order the 2 Netzteil as spare parts and change them myself. As a side note about the transformers you want to get rid of, have you tried to sell them on eBay?

thanks

If you're handy with a soldering iron and are comfortable playing with electronics/components, then go for it...of course the cost of these parts may outstrip the value of the units. Make sure you get original parts or higher quality 3rd party parts as the power supply has an affect on the audio quality