Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is smoked haddock called in German?

8 posts in this topic

I want to make some kedgiree but have no idea what smoked haddock is called in german , or if its available.

have found "Schellfisch" in the dictionary but it also says its the name for cod!

any help appreciated

I'd have thought it was geräuchte something... looked on leo and this was what it came up with... seems Schellfisch is haddock- i didn't know it as that though! I mean cod translates as this..

hope you find it! Just head to a fishmongers and look for soemthing that looks like it, point and nod failing all else! ;)

If you find smoked haddock, let me know where you got it. It's probably one of the only things I miss from the UK. I've never seen it here or in French hypermarkets either.

Hi, I have just found some, quite by chance chilled in a French supermarket , Le Clerc which I am sure you are familiar with. Unfortunately its a bit out of your way, in St Louis, Alsace though I would have thought that if one branch of the chain is stocking then it should be possible to obtain some at your nearest branch but at least the French know of it ,  but whether they will be arsed to obtain some for you is another matter.

Hope this message gave you a glimmer of hope, good luck, regards Nic T

Simone was looking for this almost 11 years ago, so I'm sure that whatever fish was found was eaten years ago, but maybe you'll help someone else.