River surfing in Munich

115 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Just letting you all know. On the 8/9th of Aug 09, the Rip Curl Girls will be stationed on Sylt. So around 300 girls can learn how to surf for FREE from licenced surf teachers. For more info check out the website at www.ripcurl.eu/girlstour09.

So go out there and enjoy the waves!

Maria

Hi,

I'm from San Diego and I always see the surfers in the English Garden by my house. I surf in San Diego and I want to give it at try. I'm wondering if anyone has a board I could rent/borrow for a day.

Thanks,

Sean

0176-78510976

I saw an ad for a documentary about the Isar surfers called "Keep Surfing" (the trailer's on their website). The public voted it their favourite film last year at the film festival in Munich and it's being released in cinemas on 20 May.

An Isar surfer himself, the director/cameraman Björn Richie Lob managed to convince some of the other surfers to let him film them doing their stuff and show how it's brought them together regardless of their different day jobs, etc. You can read more about it on their Facebook page.

There's a different, longer promo video on YouTube which has subtitles in English:

Has anyone seen this documentary?

Two lovely ladies from my office and I went to Leopoldkino to watch it tonight. I was not sure what to expect really only that it is not a movie, rather a documentary, but I thought I give it a go anyway.

The Leopoldkino itself is hidden away from Leopoldstrasse, just a few meters away from Karstadt. It really is a treasure for cineastes with old interior in burgundy and dark brown.

The documentary started with weird sounds of drowning microphones and very turbulent cuts. Some of the surfers from the Eisbach were introduced while they tried to surf on the flooded river Rhone in the middle of France. There was also an abandoned horse with hanging reins at some point.

After the weird intro you suddenly could see brilliant pictures of the surfers at Eisbach in slow motion, beautiful light and graceful movements of the surfers that it takes to stay on the surfboard.

I think I was having an “O Captain! My Captain” moment out of Dead Poets Society.

The people portrayed in the documentary were surfing on Eisbach at some time.

The main focus lies on a few surfers like Walter “Hausmeister” Strasser, a midleaged didgeridoo craftsman with a strong upper bavarian accent, Quirin Rohleder, a journalist for Surfing Europe or Florian Kummer, a doctor at the Barmherzige Brüder hospital. Individual lives that cross because of the surfing.

With breathtaking pictures, well chosen music and original munich protagonists, Keep Surfing is not side splittingly funny or embarrassing like Bridget Jones, or horrifying like Keydeck’s Human Centipete (where do you find such weird stuff, Keydeck?)

All in all it’s a good entertainment for an evening and definitely worth its ticket price.

To celebrate the DVD release yesterday of "Keep Surfing", some folks surfed on the Eisbach in Dirndl and Lederhosen.

Pics here

And the movie's still showing in theaters here in town too.

Seen the movie, good documentary wish there was more surfing

For people who may be interested in renting a board Santoloco apparently rents boards, they are located at Eisenmannstraße 4, just off Kaufingerstrasse/Neuhauserstrasse

http://www.santoloco.com/shop/shop_content.php?coID=18

VERLEIH

Wir verleihen Surfbretter in allen Größen. Für Einsteiger und Fortgeschrittene... Kosten: 50 Euro pro Woche oder 10 Euro pro Tag. Sollte das Brett mit Schäden zurückgegeben werden, fällt für das Reparieren noch mal 30 Euro pro Std an. Außerdem brauchen wir Personalausweis und 100 Euro Kaution pro Brett.

RENTAL

We tent surfboards in all sizes. For beginners and advanced ... Cost: € 50 per week or 10 € per day. If the board is returned with damage, the repairs will be € 30 per hour. We also need passport and € 100 deposit per board.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Right then,

As a public detester of German telly I often sit feet up at my PC when wife says there's something interesting on the godforsaken set of channels of our homeland. However tonight there was a programme on Bayern 3 (this can actually have interesting shoes) about surfing the Isar in Munich called "Keep Surfing".

I was absolutely gripped. It was one of those adventure movies which like snowboarding vids, or extreme climbing you couldn't look away.

Now here is the Toon request. Does anyone have any idea how they announce that surfing is in progress in Munich? How can one get to see it? And if anyone has sen it here, can they upload any video they've made of it so we on tT can see it?

It really seems so cool. it has to do with the water level in Sylvensteinspeicher which is just up the road from me.

I am too old to start surfing, yet still admire the sport. Meanwhile enjoy this classic deep buried vid "Crystal Voyager" surfing film which includes surfing to the backdrop of Pink Floyd's "Echoes", an eternal classic.

Hi!

I want to learn how to surf the canal in Munich but I'm not sure how I can get involved. I have a couple months experience surfing in San Diego (i.e. I can at least stand).

Is anyone else interested? Does anyone know about any surfing groups for beginners - intermediates?

Thanks,

Andy

Maximilian Schwarzkopf goes nighttime winter surfing on the Eisbach, Munich (March 23, 2013)...

My daughter and I are both experienced surfers (25 years for me, 5 years including some contest surfing for her), and we are intrigued with the idea of surfing in Munich while we are there in April. I've read about the dangers and take them seriously, so my preference would be to start out at the Thalkirchen spot to get a feel for the difference between river and ocean surfing and then watch at the English Garden to see if it's something we feel at all prepared to do. My question is this: would there be enough water in mid-April for there to be a wave at Thalkirchen?