How to access BBC iPlayer from Germany

429 posts in this topic

The BBC is being geo-blocked  using ExpressVPN and has been for over 3 weeks, it is OK for other UK broadcasters. Their support say they are working on it and extended my subscription by 2 weeks!:( I still have a valid subscription with Getflix but Beeb playback still stutters or is not possible at all at peak viewing times.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

The BBC is being geo-blocked  using ExpressVPN and has been for over 3 weeks, it is OK for other UK broadcasters. Their support say they are working on it and extended my subscription by 2 weeks!:( I still have a valid subscription with Getflix but Beeb playback still stutters or is not possible at all at peak viewing times.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't used the I-player in the last few weeks as I've been catching up with ITV stuff. Using Hola and not had too many problems, sometimes had to reload page. I never view anything live. 

Anyway Inspector Morse is good. :)

Been using SmartDNS for about 8 yrs and it's still working great in iPlayer, ITVonDemand, 4OD, Netflix, Zatoo and Disney+. I'm using an LG 4k tv from 2019 and you can download the apps to sit on the toolbar for all UK, De, CH and various other countries as well as the De RTL/ARD/ZDF apps. With the DNS via AppleTimecapsule I'm still hitting the 100mps download without throttling. 

On 9/3/2020, 9:02:51, keith2011 said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me (including the extended subscription). I got a reply from teir support sayin the problem had been fixed. We got access back for all of about 45 minutes before it was blocked again. I wonder if the BBC have made chages that make access now impossible. It is like a big game of cat and mouse and it could be so easily solved. I would much rather pay my annual subscription to the BBC than Express.

But you could also get a satellite antenna and receiver  with record funtion...

AND, there are other VPN services that do work... but they could be a bit more costly... 

The company I deal with seldom has any issues.

12 hours ago, The_Smoking_Dog said:

It is like a big game of cat and mouse and it could be so easily solved. I would much rather pay my annual subscription to the BBC than Express.

Same here, maybe with the new DG we can hope for a change!

Been using pureVPN, on a 5 year subscription, works out at less than 1 euro a month ( ie 10 euro a year) . Mostly it works without a problem and they improved it a lot earlier this year.

Next time, I need to re-new I will probably try surf shark VPn, hear good things about them. I do not want to re-new with pureVPN, because they are based in Hong-kong, and china is becoming to dominant there.

You do not need to pay a lot, to get a good working VPN, I sometimes think,the BBC target the big names in VPN companies, as they can take down a lot of people if they block a big high priced firm. While small VPN companies just slip through the net

I've been using KeepSolid's VPN Unlimited lately lately and it's been absolutely fine with iPlayer. I bought a lifetime subscription years ago.