How to access BBC iPlayer from Germany

431 posts in this topic

True, but that's a totally inelegant solution, both aesthetically as well as practically.

Sometimes free options are fine, but since a good Smart DNS costs about the same as a good cup of coffee - once per month - and then that allows a whole pile of set-top-boxes or even built in Smart TV apps to work, many of which don't need anything touched on the router at all, then in my mind it is a much better solution.

Besides, what happens if someone needs the laptop.

If you can put Smart DNS on your router, then all you need is the £10 Now TV Box. Ten Pounds for a set top box that sits under the TV, with a proper (sofa friendly) remote so you can lounge on the big chair, with no cabling dangling across the room, and full access to the BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5 and even of course, Now TV if you so choose.

And that's the budget option., £10 one off, and the cost of one cafe coffee per month. Not breaking the bank, and a whole lot more normal than whacking a laptop to a TV via HDMI everytime you want to watch a programme.

It works if you have a laptop lying around that you don't really use :)

But, I completely agree that it's annoying to have to connect cables to your only laptop, and then keep going to it to change channels and whatnot if it's not close to where you sit.

Looks like the end may well be insight for some people accessing the beeb overseas from 1st September. I don't really see how they can enforce it as you just use the info from family or a friend that has a tv licence.

Loophole to close

How on earth can they enforce that?

You're supposed to have a licence to watch normal BBC programmes, but nobady who watches abroad using a satellite dish has any problem watching, assuming they can get a signal, so this will change nothing. Op to now people in the uk could claim they only watched catch up tv and thus didn't have to pay. That will change, but only for UK residents.

There are many way you bypass this when it happens.

It will be interesting to what happens with Filmon.

There's always Kodi addons, IPTV (though they could be affected).

We will have to see what happens.

There's nothing to get around. It just means that you're supposed to have a licence to use the iPlayer. If you watch it in the UK without a licence you'll be breaking the law, which you weren't before. You don't have to prove you've got a licence before you can start watching normal BBC programmes, but you're breaking the law if you do.

I long ago stopped watching any BBC since the treated the TG guys so badly and "Free the Clarkson Three" meant they ended up on Amazon. Waiting to see what happens when that starts up as I want to see Grand Tour tbh. 

Don't you need a UK address to watch Amazon though? That's me buggered then.

15 minutes ago, jeremy said:

When I last spoke to Amazon they did not know if Amazon DE would have the license for the English version.

But now nearly all their offerings are bi it should not be a problem. You can watch some programs wherever you are.

31 minutes ago, jeremy said:

I long ago stopped watching any BBC since the treated the TG guys so badly and "Free the Clarkson Three" meant they ended up on Amazon. Waiting to see what happens when that starts up as I want to see Grand Tour tbh. 

Quite honestly, what ever your personal experiences are what the fuck has it got to do with accessing the bbc iplayer from Germany?

There's a 12 page thread about Top Gear on TT go discuss there.

21 hours ago, jeremy said:

Treated them so badly?

Go punch one of your colleagues in the face and see how well your employer treats you. 

7 hours ago, Adem137 said:

Go punch one of your colleagues in the face and see how well your employer treats you. 

Oh alright then, some of the numpties I worked for were lucky i didn't lamp them.

I once had a female boss (contractor) on the US Army base. She once said to me "I own your arse from 8.30 to 5". Can you imagine if i'd said that to a woman? My balls would have been in a display cabinet for that. When I heard that, I tried not to laugh and spent the rest of the meeting gazing at her chest.

8 minutes ago, jeremy said:

I once had a female boss (contractor) on the US Army base. She once said to me "I own your arse from 8.30 to 5". Can you imagine if i'd said that to a woman? My balls would have been in a display cabinet for that.

Depends on what year it was.

23 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Oh alright then, some of the numpties I worked for were lucky i didn't lamp them.

I once had a female boss (contractor) on the US Army base. She once said to me "I own your arse from 8.30 to 5". Can you imagine if i'd said that to a woman? My balls would have been in a display cabinet for that. When I heard that, I tried not to laugh and spent the rest of the meeting gazing at her chest.

According to what I read

Clarkson, hit one colleague  for booking a hotel that did not provide a hot evening meal, clarkson's  colleague, then went to hospital for treatment 

I cannot understand why you support the thug clarkson

of course this is all allegedly :)

Being told by your boss "I own your arse from 8.30 to 5"., comes no where near to what clarkson allegedly did.

by the way, I agree this thread has nothing to do with Clarkson or TG

I cannot see how it will affect expats viewing iplayer stuff, the BBC would need to implement a license number check when you start to view for this to work, and nobody would like that in the UK, so keep on watching :)

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Clarkson, hit one colleague  for booking a hotel that did not provide a hot evening meal, clarkson's  colleague, then went to hospital for treatment 

I cannot understand why you support the thug clarkson

Because I despise political correctness. 

I hope you never have life experiences which really bend you out of shape, for example losing your mother and suffering relentless pressure afterwards. 

I've had them and they are rough.

On 3 August 2016 at 21:52:08, yesterday said:

I cannot see how it will affect expats viewing iplayer stuff, the BBC would need to implement a license number check when you start to view for this to work, and nobody would like that in the UK, so keep on watching :)

Iplayer just popped up message asking if I have a TV licence. I said Yes (technically I do just not for the UK) and that was the end of it. I expect soon you'll need to enter the code in or iplayer will be locked. To be honest I love BBC shows so I'd be happy to pay. Took a screen shoot but is too large to upload, will attach latter.

BTW In Spain it's not illegal to sucker punch someone the way Clarkson did, as long as it's a true sucker punch. 

Sigh of relief really, there was no info on how they were going to implement it but I doubt it will remain so simple in the long term.

2 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

To be honest I love BBC shows so I'd be happy to pay.

And this is where the beeb could make more money but they just seem to of missed the boat. I would have no issues paying £10 a month which is more or less the tv licence fee per year but it's not physically possible outside the UK.