What the hell have I done to my knee?

91 posts in this topic

Stop with those toe-curling puns, will you?

Bit of contrary advice here. A year ago I slipped and twisted and woke up the next morning in agony. Thought I'd walk it off. Finally went to a knee doctor and found I had done my cruciate ligaments in my right leg. He told me that if had been caught in the first 24 hours, the recovery time can be cut by 50%. By the way, he is reputed to be the best in Europe; all the English footie players go to see him. Buggered if I can remember his name but based in the clinic on the 10th floor of the Arabella Bogenhausen. I will try to get the name for you. From memory, given his reputation, he was not excessively expensive for the single consultation I had (€25 to 35 I believe).

but based in the clinic on the 10th floor of the Arabella Bogenhausen.

Is it only me that now has a mental vision of patients with knackered legs, knees and ankles trying to drag themselves up 10 flights of stairs?

I can imagine a sign when they arrive at the top of the stairs that says:

"Well you clearly got this far, so fuck off back down the stairs to work and stop shirking you skiver"

So I hurt my knee.  Not walking, or swimming or at the gymn.  But in bed.  And alone in bed doing nothing wild (watching Wallander).  I just shuffled up the bed and something happened to my left knee.  Not swollen.  But cannot bend it much.  Can walk if careful.  Can even go upstairs.  But not raise knee, or try to pull shoe off, or go downstairs without severe pain.    Any ideas?  I have been a bit lazy sportwise since just before Xmas.  Could kick myself.  Though that is tricky at the moment.

Is your kneecap out of place? If so, can you push it carefully a bit this way or that way without causing more pain? I have had that problem. Of course, I went to the doctor anyway to get it checked, etc. Those are my ideas. You can take 'em or leave 'em, as I'm not a medical professional.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Could kick myself.  Though that is tricky at the moment.

- try it with the other foot! :)

Seriously though, Fruity is right - go see a Doc, but if it is too painful overnight or whatever, call a Doc to come and see you.

I am much encouraged as now in bed can flex and kick knee painlessly.  Hoping for more improvements tomorrow.  How the hell can you hurt your knee in bed?  No trantric or other sex involved.  And no swelling, nothing out of place.  Just old lady stuff? 

Thanks and good night to you all.

Forget the Dr, find a good physio. I tore the cartilage in my Knee, the Dr looked at it, X-rayed it, injected it and no better, finally I got a referral to a Physio who within 10 minutes of feeling around diagnosed the problem.

19 minutes ago, French bean said:

Forget the Dr, find a good physio.

Erm....doctor has to give prescription for physio unless you want to pay on your own. Physio is dangerous without a proper diagnosis as I recently found out.

I am a great believer in physio they have helped me get over back pain on many occasions, a cortisone jab can help sometimes but go to the doc first and even if they give you an injection ask for a prescription for physio.

Hope it is soon better.

14 hours ago, snowingagain said:

So I hurt my knee.  Not walking, or swimming or at the gymn.  But in bed.  And alone in bed doing nothing wild (watching Wallander).  I just shuffled up the bed and something happened to my left knee.  Not swollen.  But cannot bend it much.  Can walk if careful.  Can even go upstairs.  But not raise knee, or try to pull shoe off, or go downstairs without severe pain.    Any ideas?  I have been a bit lazy sportwise since just before Xmas.  Could kick myself.  Though that is tricky at the moment.

Gout? Sounds like the typical auwie.

Gout is a possibility given my age and red wine consumption, and that I first noticed it in bed.  But otherwise not so.    I went for an hour's walk, which was boring (pedestrian??) as had to be a bit slow and careful, but otherwise it was pain free.  Felt better afterwards.  Stairs (downwards) not a good idea.  I also forgot when I got back from walk, and tried to take boot off sore knee leg, with ok one.  Wow.  Not good.   

Hope you can enjoy the evening sun.

Could be anything from muscle strain, ligament tear, inflammation of tendon. Going downstairs could be indication of tendon inflammation, even ankle joint problem which affects the way you walk!

Really- if it continues, see your MD- may need diagnostic imaging and physio referral. ( As others advised!!) Good luck.

My first guess would be a sequestrum which got jammed and released again, which is why you can move again. See a doctor. If my guess is correct it may have to be removed.