Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Official 2007 Oktoberfest Lederhose

8 posts in this topic

post-4788-1185302060.jpg
If you think marketing for the Oktoberfest knows no boundaries – you’re right. Today Gabi Weishäupl, head of Munich’s municipal tourist office, introduced the limited edition, must-have article of this year’s Wiesn: Only 495 official Oktoberfest Lederhosen, aka Wiesnkönig, will be available for the modest price of €495 for each pair of hand-embroidered Krachlederne. (NOTE: Not the original photo!)

So who will be buying these? The Bayern players? The Käfer-bound schicki-micki professional cheek-kissers? The Italians? Will jealous rivals try to de-bag the happy wearers or be content with merely throwing up on them? Is this a one-time promo gag or the beginning of an annual Wiesn-wear trend?

And: Isn’t this going a bit too far? Haggis Junior and I have never managed to spend €500 on a shopping spree together, and this is just one pair of (fancy) pants.

A good pair of lederhosen can cost between 200 and 500 Euro, depending on the quality. I have sold antique lederhosen for 300-400 euro. The reason that these appear to be expensive is the limited availability. It is Marketing 101 that Supply and demand will bring a top price...i wouldn't be surprised to see them on EBAY for 600-800 soon afterwards

Surely if you're going to spend 500 euros on some lederhosen, you'd go down to Angermaier and get some top quality traditional ones from there, rather than buying some crap off the tourist office..