Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cathedral City mature cheddar cheese

22 posts in this topic

Imagine my delight when I wandered in to the Konsum on Alaunstrasse and they were giving away free samples of Britain's finest - and it's here to stay! Suddenly this country has become significantly more tolerable to live in.

I've been buying cheddar cheese in Kaufland for ages now. It's even cheaper than buying it in England.

post-608-1185021324.jpg

BTW Cathedral City cheese is made in Davidstow, a place in Cornwall which is not a City and does not have a Cathedral.

Fellow Cheddar lovers unite. Is it possible to buy the ying to this yang (I talk of course about Marmite) anywhere other than in the British shop in Leipzig?

What??!! I've scoured every single department store and supermarket in Wiesbaden and the only cheddar i can find is Mild Irish Cheddar which tastes like hard butter. I would give my right ball to be able to buy decent cheese here. And bacon.

The only cheddar I've found over here is of the orange variety :huh: Strange eating it. Always reminds me of Red Leicester. It's like eating that green tomato sauce.

But will be scouring Hertie now though. Thanks eurobabs

Kaufland in Dresden ("Nickern", i.e. Prohlis) has Kerrygold orange Cheddar in slices and Kerrygold "Bauernkäse" in lumps. The sliced Cheddar is crumbly with an oily surface and too thin, but the Bauernkäse tastes like a medium Cheddar to me, and grates and melts well, making it great for cooking. I prefer it to the sliced variety. Apparently Kerrygold also does Cheddar in lumps but I haven't seen that yet here.

The Bauernkäse is also available in Karstadt food dept. and the sliced orange Cheddar is also in Konsum(?), the one downstairs in the Altmarktgalerie by McPaper.

You can often get Marmite in Asian shops, but the price is the same. Cheaper to get it posted!

Marmite at...

Sainsbury's (prices converted to €):

500g - €5.43

200g - €2.87

English Shop Cologne:

500g - €11.69

200g - €5.90 :blink:

i do absolutely not understand the need of buying marmite... either you love it or you hate it... well, second! ;)

Cathedral City cheddar uses lots of local Somerset milk.   And the product is pretty good if you after a strong mature cheddar.  But they are being bastards and polluting rivers in their vicinity, killing lots of wildlife.  They seem to have a corporate structure that thinks that as it is cheaper to pollute and kill rivers, and just pay the fines.  

Discharge from Davidstow Cathedral City cheese factory poisoned fish - BBC News

In the late 1970s I went on a 5 day field course as part of Biology A Level.   Was great fun and learned a lot.  One of the things we did was visit a pristine stream, and test all sorts of chemical and bioligcal indicators.   It was not huge  but it was rich and clear with massive range of species of insects, amphibians and fish.  Until it went into the Kraft cheese factory.  Our samples from the other side (workers came out and shouted at us) were dismal.  Putrid water.  No oxygen, no life, no anything except black sludge.  

I thought this as solved (with help and pressure from the EU) quite cleverly.  The factory required water from the river.  So, they said the water intake from the river must be below their outflow pipe.  

36 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Sadly not.  FFS this was the 1970s.  Still happening

That is really disgraceful that any industrial facility would be allowed to discharge directly into rivers or streams. My first job was in the food industry, their water was supplied by the mains and the waste went into the sewers but was very strictly controlled because the local water authority monitored it for various excessive pollutants e.g. sugar and fats and charged the company accordingly. It was in the company's interest to purify waste water as much as possible and they did even back in the late 60s.

11 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Surely cheese, butter etc can be produced in Germany. No need to transport them from distant countries.

I almost only ever buy local cheese and butter.  But there are some recipes when only mature cheddar really works.  I only buy maybe once a year. I wanted to alert people here about Cathdral.  There are organic cheddars you can get that a much, much better.  But cost more.  

Apparently Milbenkaese is delicious, available at the Milbenkaesemuseum in 06712 Wuerchwitz. "The truffle of cheeses"

(Milben = mites, tiny insect-creatures)

4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

There are organic cheddars you can get that a much, much better.  But cost more.  

Where, since brexit I have not seen any small or organic cheddar makers offering their produce for sale here in Germany.

23 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Cathedral City cheddar uses lots of local Somerset milk.   And the product is pretty good if you after a strong mature cheddar.  But they are being bastards and polluting rivers in their vicinity, killing lots of wildlife.  They seem to have a corporate structure that thinks that as it is cheaper to pollute and kill rivers, and just pay the fines.  

Discharge from Davidstow Cathedral City cheese factory poisoned fish - BBC News

I am speechless. I love their cheese, but this kind of disgusting behaviour should not be tolerated.