London congestion charge for foreign cars

91 posts in this topic

Ok so this is the thing.

I drove through London yesterday without paying the congestion fee with German number plates (but not my car)

So according to this link I can pay it before midnight tonight.

I will tell my German friend whose vehicle it was (Scout minibus) this but the he'll no doubt ask me if we can get away with it or if there is a special procedure for foreign number plates.

Does anybody know?

Oh and to make it a little more confusing we were towing a trailer with a different reg to the bus so which number should we give in online payment?

Thanks in advance

No idea. I paid it last time because having lived and worked in London I think it's a damm good thing and has lead to an improvement. Why not pay it and be honest, or leave it and tell us what happens?

There was a story on the BBC website within the last couple of weeks - from memory, it related to parking fines and speeding. It basically said that visitors to the uK were getting away without paying due to no linkup with the authorities in the offender's home country.

I will post the link if I can find it...

The driver of a scout bus is considering dodging a payment?!

Up until now, yes.

But there are agreements being made that will make it possible to collect money for motoring offences anywhere in the EU.

I heard they are already partly in place.

No idea. I paid it last time because having lived and worked in London I think it's a damm good thing and has lead to an improvement. Why not pay it and be honest, or leave it and tell us what happens?

Oh I agree and have no problem to pay it. As I said it was not my vehicle so not really up to me to decide whether we pay it or not. I just wanted to know other experiences.

dont pay - it's an illegal tax on the poor

also I drove for 4 years in london with a german plate, many times in the zone (once it was introduced), never paying and my ex never got a ticket sent to her place in HH where the car was registered. It also worked for a car with french plates i drove every now and then too. If i remember right the Evening Standard ran a story years ago saying that many police forces in Europe don't recognise not paying the charge as an offence (such a getting nicked by some parking nazi, or speeding) and so don't chase it up.

“To put this into context, the majority of foreign registered vehicles do pay to drive in the congestion zone; just six per cent of contraveners are foreign registered vehicles,

Could anybody actually answer my question about foreign number plate and trailer and how to pay the charge?

As I have said I have no problem to pay it but is not up to me!

But there are agreements being made that will make it possible to collect money for motoring offences anywhere in the EU.

This has been in the works for a very very long time. France and Germany still don't collect each other's parking fines. It seems the admin still costs more than persuing the fine, which is usually only 10 euro anyway. The London congestion charging may be different as the fines are much higher.

i was talking to a cabbie when i was back in february and he said it made a difference for like 6 months when first introduced but now it is as bad as always. it's a pure money making scheme by ken so he can waste the cash on things like bendy buses. vote Boris!

post-356-1184929635_thumb.jpg

Online you only have the option of putting in the vehicle registration and not an additional one.

So, put the bus one as you'd be admitting an offence by saying the trailer did not show the same registration as the bus.

(2) Unless the context otherwise requires, a reference in these Regulations to -

(a) a registration plate fixed or to be fixed to a vehicle, or

(B) a registration mark displayed or to be displayed on a plate,

is to be construed, where the vehicle is towing a trailer, so as to include a reference to the registration plate which is required under these Regulations to be fixed to the trailer or a reference to the mark displayed on the plate fixed to that trailer.

Exactly HellesA, it gets interesting when the fines are higher.

Although Lassie is talking a loadatorybollix, ;) there is a bit of truth in what he says.

Traffic levels did fall with the CC but they are starting to creap up again.

Driving has become if you like a "premium service" for which some people are willing to pay.

The extension of the CC west to cover much of the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea enables the residents thereof to drive all over the zone at a much reduced rate.

Buses are better in London than ANYWHERE else in the UK and the passenger numbers are climbing.

I've contacted the major ports in England, and when you drive through your car will be confiscated and crushed. Thanks for visiting london. We hope you had a nice stay ;)

dont pay - it's an illegal tax on the poor

What you against an illegal tax of the poor?

i was talking to a cabbie when i was back in february and he said it made a difference for like 6 months when first introduced but now it is as bad as always. it's a pure money making scheme by ken so he can waste the cash on things like bendy buses. vote Boris!

and you trust what cabbies say...

I think you're going soft.

PM, they won't chase you. But I can see the headlines next month about the police strip searching and analy check a busload of german scouts.

Driving has become if you like a "premium service" for which some people are willing to pay.

Unless you are from the U.S Embassy, who as an entity flatly refuse to pay the toll, stating that it is outside the Vienna Convention.

Just to prove I'm not "Anti -American" I'd say in this case I kind of sympathise with them given the miilions of unpaid parking violation in New York

from represenatatives to the UN.