Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cold war rocket silos near Germering

11 posts in this topic

Enjoying the beautiful weather this evening with a good cycle on the bike paths around Germering I came across a fenced off area that does not appear on the maps and was wondering if it is an old disused rocket site? I did find some interesting characters in the concrete nearby, maybe there are some buffs out there who could shed some light on this one???

K | CH FF 672 ... this was printed into the concrete near some old rail lines that went into this fenced off area.

Would love to hear from anyone on this, I find it fascinating. I think also in the Perlacher forest there is something very similar close to the car park off the Autobahn.

Would be more helpfull if you could narrow down where in Germering you saw this..

Next time your at the airport look at the concrete slabs that make-up the taxi/runways

they are also marked with numbers. This helps in managing repairs. All they have to say is

Slab ### is broke.. Fix-it..

Doing a quick search at googlemaps, I couldn't see anything that would look like a missile complex.

But back in the day the US Military and Nato had Nike Missiles stationed all over Europe.

According to This there was a US Army post out in Germering-Unterpfaffenhofen called "Texas Area Freiham ".

But back in the day the US Military and Nato had Nike Missles stationed all over Europe.

Does this prove that the sports shoe bomb was a cold war invention? :ph34r:

You found a rocket silo near Germring? I doubt it, sounds more like a silage silo. Most if not all the atomic ordinance for use against the Russkis was up North. Where they were going to come through on their march to the North Sea. And said ordinance was usually arty or wheeled/tracked launchers, all tactical stuff, no intercontinental Minute Men down here. :blink: And I think we would have had Greenpeace running amok if they were there.

Check out the Third Reich in Ruins website. It's brilliant.

One interesting factoid I heard whilst on a US base was that during the Cold War the trenches built to stop tanks charging were actually facing the wrong direction - to STOP Russians chrging thorugh them.

I was up near the border near to Ernstgrün last autumn as mother in law was born in a castle there. Saw the border markers. I read that they were orginally mined. What is the risk of old UXO being stuck in the ground today?

Nuclear Land Mines (and /or prepared postions for them),were in several places on the route the Reds would have taken. Bridges, river crossings, airports , ports etc. They have all been removed ,I hope. :blink:

OK, checking Google maps further show some kind of Military base with a large Railhead

and what looks like Ammo bunkers - Link Link2

Can somebody that lives out there confirm if this is an Old base, or something that is still being used.

When you look at the map, start with link1 and follow the rail line down to the 2nd half of the base where the bunkers are hidden in the forest.

Wait a sec, are we talking about the area adjoining KIM? I used to work there, and I know at least another TTer who also worked on that industrial estate. In the forest between Germering and KIM is a massive complex of fuel bunkers built by the Turd Reich before WWII kicked off. Some of the complex is still in use, which is why you see fuel trucks from all over Bavaria and northern Austria around the place. The fuel is brought in by train, deposited in the underground tanks, and then distributed locally by tanker truck. I don't think anybody has dug up the unused tanks.

EDIT: I just checked your links, Darkknight. Yes, I can confirm that it is the underground fuel depot.

On a side note. If anyone wants to visit a bunker site from WWII, I can recommend the following from the Maginot Line. It´d be a 5 hour drive from here:

Maginot Line

It was / is like sin says an underground fuel lager. I have an German friend who told me in the late 60s the Americans also had a base there and he and some others used to go there to eat Hamburgers

My dad was stationed at the Texas Area from late 67 to September of 69.  I was in college at the University of Maryland, Munchen Campus on McGraw Kaserne.  Often in my car I had to take him out there for work when my mother needed their car.   

Rumor had it that the Reich used it to store some experimental fuel along with fuel for the V2.  There were even stories that some experimental launches were from there.  Of course stories of fictional nature abound.  From what I have read about the V2 I doubt they did any test launches there.   

The US Army, as expected, used it for fuel (gasoline and diesel) storage.