Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Windows XP is taking ten minutes to boot

36 posts in this topic

One way to cure the problem of xp booting up is to never switch the darn thing off, otherwise DR's idea sounds the job. But to move to MACos??? You are truly lost to the dark side.

Never turning my PC off was my system for years. Just used to turn the monitor off and go home. Regretfully memory gets cacked up after a few days on that route. But we still do that on the home PC.

Also now that I switched to a laptop it is not quite so practical. Sometimes I just shut the lid and let it sleep, but don't like living it asleep in its carrycase all night.

But you are in the process of watching me try to switch. I really am sick off Windows XP bootup problems. Outlook blowing up hacked me off as well - it is a known fault but not exactly advertised. But you soon

find out the hard way.

Frankly I just want a bloody OS that works. I just want one that runs my monitor, mouse, keyboard etc so I can use my software. I cant keep rebooting and waiting 20 minutes. Our other office XP PC's run fine,

but they all have bugger all software loaded, just stick to the basics. But seems like once you run quite a lot of stuff on XP the wheels fall off.

Dumb arse security crap from Norton also drives me nuts. So that is it. I am flouncing at Bill Gates.

I am finding this new MAC thing a bit tricky, but fighting through as best I can. Using the slowest programme in the world to convert my Outlook files to Mail. Gonna take all weekend to run I think.

Important Question:

1. Our office printers are a Dell 3110CN, a Dell 1320C and a joke little HP inkjet. I cannot seem to see drivers for the Dells??? Please dont tell me that is the end of the game already before I have started?

Also I dont understand why when I download a programme, I get the file but also a little jobbie that looks like the image of a CD drive or summat. Dunno if I am supposed to move or delete these? My desktop is now cluttered with odd files.

I am finding this new MAC thing a bit tricky, but fighting through as best I can. Using the slowest programme in the world to convert my Outlook files to Mail. Gonna take all weekend to run I think.

Our office printers are a Dell 3110CN, a Dell 1320C and a joke little HP inkjet. I cannot seem to see drivers for the Dells??? Please dont tell me that is the end of the game already before I have started?

Dell.com shows drivers for os x.

Also I dont understand why when I download a programme, I get the file but also a little jobbie that looks like the image of a CD drive or summat. Dunno if I am supposed to move or delete these? My desktop is now cluttered with odd files.

To install programs in os x take the software icon from that little image of the drive and drop it into your applications folder. Now it's installed. You can safely drag the image of the drive thingee to your trash can, it'll turn into an eject button and it will disappear from your desktop. You can also safely delete the *.dmg file that you downloaded.

Hmmmm. Loaded Dell driver (looks like I can only get a driver for the big one). It said software all installed hunkey dorey. But I cannot see the printer on the network at all :-( Bit odd. Shame I cannot print to the small one cos that is the one that is 1 yard from my desk.

Gonna go home and pull weeds out the grass instead. Ho hum. Nothing is ever "simple".

Thanks for help and advice so far.

It takes a while to adapt your thought processes to Mac OS if you come from Windows, but once you do you'll see that it's actually a lot more easy and straightforward.

I still think that Finder is a piece of crap - much prefer Explorer in Windows.

I am making some good progress! Overall there are some stuff that I am delighted about so far on the MAC OS as follows:

1. Easy to load and delete programmes. Fast and seems no drama compared to a PC.

2. Am using Shiira and Safari browsers. Some cool stuff in the latest Shiira.

3. I highlighted a bit of text as normal and wanted to right click and paste into google - but it actually gave me the instant option to "search in google" Cooooool.

4. The OS is quick to load, sleep etc but scared that it will be like XP and degrade over time - I really hope not.

5. Mac Mail is better than Outlook. Seperates my 2 pop mail accounts and lets me send from either, which I could not do in Outlook.

6. The Mail spam filter is also excellent. I had an add-on learning filter called K9 on the PC but that MAC one is better integrated and is getting stuff 99.9% correct even after 24 hours. Amazing.

7. No Norton Utilities nagging me about viruses, virus updates, system scans blahhhhhh.

8. Spotlight, Finder etc to find stuff. I was using Google Desktop.

Difficulties/Issues so far:

1. Screen resolution on my 17" Mac is set to 1680 x 1050. I am having to get used to this with much smaller tighter text etc. I had everything bigger on the PC, but the other

resolutions on my MAC are rubbish really. So I need to stick at 1680 x 1050.

2. Getting a bit messy with the Windows all over the shop. I have expose working via the mouse and F buttons, but as I usually have 7-10 programmes running it gets messy. On the

PC I would just minimise all and pick what I wanted from the tray. As the tray shows all programmes - open or closed - its all a little disorientating.

3. Not got printers working yet and it might be that I cannot get my small Dell ever working as there is no driver :-(

4. Need to wait for Adobe to send my new software, but that is OK, I can survive until then.

5. Having to use iTunes rather than Windows Media Player. They do one for the MAC but its 10 years old. I am sure iTunes will be fine once I get my album art across.

6. Having some problems with my network connections at home/office but I will get that sorted.

Fortunately MSN Messenger is also on for the MAC so that keeps things simple there.

I am waiting for Microsoft Office 2008 for the MAC to be released so meanwhile am running Excel and Word natively using Crossover. That is pretty damn handy!!

Vmware runs my Bootcamp partition a bit doggy slow so I need to escape XP as quickly as possible now. But its is great for dragging small files across as I need them.

Plan now is:

Get as much as I can running and loaded on the MAC, so that I am 90% operational. This is tricky as my MAC partition is only 10Gb, but as long as I can get all the programmes running

I am able to drag files across from XP via Vmware on an as needed basis. Then when I know all the programmes work, I can just copy everything from XP to an external

hard drive (I will do this twice!!!) and then delete the XP partition.

Then I can reallocate a small partition to XP (like 10Gb) and reload XP. Ironically the buggery thing will probably run like the clackers as a fresh install with no programmes loaded!

It is interesting that the add-ons I was using for XP pretty much appear already on a MAC:

1. Norton - well I pretty much dont need that.

2. K9 spam software.

3. Maxthon multi-tabbed browser.

4. Google Desktop to find files.

Plus I can now look forward to the new version of MAC OS in October, whereas Vista is out but everybody just seems to slag it off. Reading about programmes not working with Vista, and even

that it BOOTS SLOWER than XP was enough to scare me away.

So I think we have a convert chaps!! Just gonna pop out and buy me a black turtleneck and some Levis.

Sounds good. iTunes can load album artwork BTW. Advanced>Get Album Artwork. It gives a report when finished telling you what it couldn't find so you can do them manually later.

5. Mac Mail is better than Outlook. Seperates my 2 pop mail accounts and lets me send from either, which I could not do in Outlook.

not true when you send a mail right next to the send button is the option to change accounts.

When I said I could not do in Outlook - I clearly meant "I" could not due - due to stuipidity I guess! But Outlook does not have the nice system in Apple OS where I can just read ALL emails together in the INBOX or read them seperated in each account (e.g. for business and home). In Outlook I could of course have a simple rule that splits the mails into a HOME and WORK email folder, but I dont think it would let me some them together AND separate???

I have to say it is pretty shocking that after 20 years of being a dedicated Windows user, that I finally got sooooooooooo frustrated that I was willing to swap almost out of desperation. Outlook blowing up when it hit the secret 2Gb limit was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I really don't want to be wiping hard drives and reloading ALL my programmes and data from scratch every 3 months just to keep Windows XP running at a decent speed. I don't know if Mac OS is afflicted with the same problem, but have not heard people bleating about it as an issue.

The difference in the last 15 months has been that I switched to a laptop. In the past I just ran my PC's and avoided switching them off. Waiting for XP to get itself useable in the morning was driving me crackers.