How to get a tax number

58 posts in this topic

Does anyone on here know what is involved in getting a tax number at the Finanzamt? If I go down there and apply, should I take a German friend with me, or will someone be able to converse with me in English?

I am an EU citizen.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks...

Etain

Hi Etian,

Do you mean your tax card, which you have t o give to an employer? I got mine when I went to the Burgeramt to register at my address. I don't have great German,but we managed to muddle through ok, but if you don't speak any German, you may be better off to take a friend with you.

I don't know of nay other tax number that you need, only the social security number, which I am told I will get through my health insurance providers.

I hope this helps.

If you mean the Steuernummer, then that is something different from the tax card - it's literally just a number they give you (hastily scribbled onto my application form, in my case). I'm not sure of the exact difference, but I don't need the Lohnsteuerkarte, just the Steuernummer. I speak German, so I'm not sure about their ability to speak English, so taking a friend might be a good plan. But they were actually fairly helpful (in comparison to every other Amt I've visited) and allowed me and my 2 friends who were also applying, to go in together and have certain questions and terminology explained. What actually happened was that the woman took my form, filled in everything I hadn't understood (asking a couple of questions along the way) - and that was that. No problem! Good luck!

I'm actually wondering this as well. I'm actually a German citizen as of a couple of weeks ago. I never got a tax number originally at the Burgeramt or with my visa that I had as I wasn't supposed to work. Now obviously things have changed and I'm not sure what to bring. I don't even have my passport or ID card yet...just a certificate of citizenship.

venus, if you get any info could you pass it on to me? i also have german citizenship. (i have duel us/german) so i have a passport, and i can legally work and live here, but i have no idea how to get the tax number and such. i'd really appreciate any info. :)

The Tax card you get from the KVR when you Register.

The Tax Number you get from the FiananceAmt when you first file your taxes.

When you file, put "Neue Kunden" or whatever where it asks for Tax Number. They will

then assign one to you. Should you move to a different FA area, then they will assign you yet a different one.

Sorry I didn't realize this had been moved. I thought someone had deleted it.

So if I went to register when I got here, I can use that number they assigned to me, i.e. what I used to open my bank account with?

I am not sure I follow. Do I need to go to the Finanzamt and get an additional number? Will they charge me? How does it work?

Sorry for all the questions!

Etain

No you can't use "Just any number". Read my above post. The number is assigned to you by the FiananceAmt.. Nobody else

Hello,

I'm an EU citizen looking to become properly registered in Berlin so I can start living and working. I have some basic instructions, but I wanted to clarify something:

Once I go to my local Burgeramt and receive my Anmeldebestatigung can I then go straight to the Finanzamt and apply for my Steuernummer? Is there anything else I need to do or clarify to get the Steuernummer?

You help would be greatly appreciated.

Pascal

Topics merged by admin

If you're working freelance, you'll need to fill out a form at the Finanzamt and they'll give you the number straight away. Take your Anmeldebestatigung and passport / Ausweis.

If you're looking for a normal job (Angestellter), you don't need a tax number, but you will need a Lohnsteuerkarte; go back to the Burgeramt and ask them to give you one (presume it'll involve another form).

If you want to fill out a Steuererklärung as an Angestellter (not absolutely necessary), you'll also need a Steuernummer, which the Finanzamt will give you somehow.

(Disclaimer: it's been a few years since I've been through all that, so something might have changed in the meantime).

I also need a tax/VAT number. This has been requested by the company I'm about to do some freelance work with.

I completed my form (electronically) around 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the Finanzamt to give me one. I'm currently in the UK and fly out next week to begin the contract. Is this a normal waiting time? I phoned the finanzamt and spoke with someone who had limited english. She eventually understood my concern and asked me to call back in 2 days - I mean it takes 2 days just to find my form... I'm slightly thrown by the inefficiency.

Can this all be correct?

I went to the Rathus (I believe that may be a miss spelling, but it sounds like that) To register my address and get my tax card.

My German isnt the best so a friend told me to say to them "Wir hatten gerne bitte eine Steuer Karte" and it seemed to work fine...

Just in case the people at the front desk dont speak/understand English as I found.

*Ive probably posted what has allready been said...

Hi all,

I live in Berlin and work remotely for a UK-based company. Currently I am being paid pounds into my British bank account, but I want to switch over and start to be paid into my German bank account, so I can pay German taxes and sort out health insurance.

My company are happy to do this for me, but I need to give them all the relevant details. Can anyone tell me what info I need to give my company?

Do I need a Lohnsteuerkarte and a Steuernummer? What is the difference??

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips...

If you are living and resident (more than 3 months) you should be paying or at least declaring for tax here, even if you are paid in a foreign currency to a non-German account. Does your company have a German subsidiary to whom you can transfer as an employee?

I'm in the process of filing my tax returns for 2012 using Elster. For the previous two tax returns (for 2010 and 2011), the Finanzamt in Bad Homburg (Hessen) was the responsible Finanzamt. I moved to Munich in March of this year, so is the Munich Finanzamt now my finanzamt?

I entered the steuernummer I have used for my previous tax returns into Elster and I got the message that it is not valid. I then selected the option "I do not have a current tax number" and then I saw a window saying something like "You are about to apply for a new tax number - Yes/No"

Is this what I'm supposed to do? Is the steuernummer dependent on where you file? Do I need to go to the Finanzamt in Munich and register myself there?

Hi all

i tried to tackle the Finanzamt today, took my anmeldung thingy but was told i need to fill in a form and bring mietvertrag and arbeitsvertrag.

and then i could get a lohnsteuerkarte.

did anybody else have to bring all this info?

also the form has long german words which i dont know what mean, is there any guide to filling it out anywhere?

BF

i tried to tackle the Finanzamt today, took my anmeldung thingy but was told i need to fill in a form and bring mietvertrag and arbeitsvertrag.

and then i could get a lohnsteuerkarte.

did anybody else have to bring all this info?

No, that's very strange.

They have no right (and no cause) to ask for your Mietvertrag and Arbeitsvertrag.

also the form has long german words which i dont know what mean, is there any guide to filling it out anywhere?

Ok, first off, what you want is not a tax number, but a Lohnsteuerkarte, or Lohnsteuerersatzbescheinigung, or Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug, which you will have to give to your employer.

All those terms are interchangeable and mean the same thing, a simple print-out with your name and tax class.

To get it, you have to fill in the form "Antrag auf Ausstellung einer Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug 2013", as mentioned in Got my tax card too late, how to recover taxes.

If you are single you only fill in the left half, the right half would be for your spouse's details.

Page 1 of Antrag auf Ausstellung einer Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug 2013:

Steuernummer: leave empty, you will only get assigned a tax number with your first tax return

Identifikationsnummer: the Steuer-ID you get sent in a letter from the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern, about 3 to 6 weeks after you registered. If you didn't get it, follow the isntructions in post 48 in Does a 5 nearly 6 year old have to go to kita? for getting it resent to you.

Name, Vorname: your surname, your first name(s), e.g. Smith, John

Geburtsdatum: your date of birth, e.g. 21.5.1984

Straße, Hausnummer: your street, your street number, e.g. Musterstr. 23

Postleitzahl, Wohnort: your postal code, your city, e.g. 80333 München

Telefonische Rückfragen: here you can fill in your phone number, leave this field empty, having somebody call you and speak German to you is of no use to you

Verheiratet seit: married since date, e.g. 24.5.2004

Verwitwet seit: widowed since date, e.g. 24.5.2004

Geschieden seit: divorced since date, e.g. 24.5.2004

Dauernd getrennt lebend seit: separated since date, e.g. 24.5.2004

Steuerklasse: the tax class you want:

• if you are single or married and your spouse doesn't live in Germany, fill in I
  • if you are married and your spouse lives in Germany, and you earn much more than your spouse, fill in III
  • if you are married and your spouse lives in Germany, and you earn the same as your spouse, fill in IV

Zahl Kinderfreibeträge: fill in how many children you have, e.g. 1

Namen, Vornamen, Geburtsdatum der Kinder, Identifikationsnummer: surname, first name, date of birth, Steuer-ID of each child

Kirchensteuermerkmal: VD

• VD means that you are not a member of a church and therefore do not have to pay additional church tax.

Page 2 (you can change pages by clicking on the page icon at the top):

put an X in the box to the left of "Erstmalige Aufnahme einer nichtselbständigen Tätigkeit"

Then fill in today's date, e.g. 30.8.2013 in the field at the bottom, print the form, sign it and take it along with your passport and your Anmeldebestätigung (= the piece of paper you got when you registered your address at the Bürgerbüro) to your local Finanzamt.

They will then give you a print-outed Lohnsteuerkarte, which you will then have to hand in to your employer.

As long as you haven't handed in the Lohnsteuerkarte, you will be taxed in the emergency tax class VI, i.e. you will pay a lot of income tax.

However, you can get back this overpaid tax next year by submitting a tax return for 2013, for instructions how to fill in the tax forms for the tax return, please see the yellow section in the TT Elster wiki.