Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lactose-free products

43 posts in this topic

I know Reformhaus was mentioned- can anyone tell me where there is one in Frankfurt/near Bockenheim (admetus maybe???

Leipzigerstr close enough for ya? Reformhaus Freya. On the corner with Wildungerstr (about half-way between the two U-bahn stops: Leipzigerstr and Bockenheimer Warte). That would make it, ooh, about three blocks from your flat?

Think she means that she drank alcohol and then ate something dairy-producty-like because she was tipsy and forgot/didn't care.

THe doctor didn't specify which dairy, just gave me a generic don't eat 'milchprodukte' for the next few weeks and see if it helps

A generic 'Milchprodukte'? Well, then, is it actually lactose intolerance which is suspected? Or a milk protein allergy? How's a good, hard cheddar suit you these days?

Cider is lactose-free (sadly not calorie-free though).

bit off topic I know but what would be the most calorie-friendly drinks on a night out? in the UK I drink Gin and Slimline Tonic but never seen Slimline Tonic here :(

Leipzigerstr close enough for ya? Reformhaus Freya. On the corner with Wildungerstr (about half-way between the two U-bahn stops: Leipzigerstr and Bockenheimer Warte). That would make it, ooh, about three blocks from your flat?

Alright alright... no need to get all sarcky!!! ;) Is that the green one on the right hand side going from Leipziger to the Warte or is the one on the other side? Anyway doesn't matter will find it...

@Katrina- that was the conclusion I came to.. if I can't eat anything that I like I might as well drink myself through the whole thing!

@Moonboot- no, never seen slim line tonic or diet redbull or anythin like that- probably vodka and cola light or else something with soda/mineral water?

Going down Leipziger towards Bockenheimer Warte, it'd be on the left-hand side, just before you cross the road to get to the DM-drogerie thingy.

Frizzyjen, I use the Alpro soya products and you should be able to find them at most supermarkets in Frankfurt. I especially like their soy milk in the blue carton as it's fortified with calcium, B2, and B12 and is low in sugar. The flavored soymilks in this line have too much sugar for me.

As a side note: Saturday I was in the Hit supermarket (near Südbahnhof) and saw a new "low fat" (1.3%) Alpro soya, in the dairy section.

I have been trying the Alpro milk and am not too keen on it... any alternatives that don't taste like you put vanilla ice cream in your coffee?

I did get the plain but it still tastes quite a bit sweeter than normal milk and since I don't really eat anything sweet I really notice it.

Jen,

Try this Breisgau Milch brand

or this one

Minus L

The reason you did not find such milk in REWE and in other stores is because they are not in the same section as the fresh milk. Try looking next to condensed milk, they are usually located in that section. Gallerie Kaufhof sells all their products ranging from milk to cheese to yoghurt.

Reformhaus sells Laktase tablets which you can take before consuming regular milk or milk products and that helps a lot.

I did get the plain but it still tastes quite a bit sweeter than normal milk and since I don't really eat anything sweet I really notice it.

You might get the same problem with lactose "free" cow's milk.

The lactose (milk sugar) is "split" to make it more digestable, which means that it tastes slightly sweeter than normal milk. Might be worth a go though? In Plus, the lactose "free" and soya milks are UHT and not in the fresh cabinet.

Thanks all... I'll keep looking

At the moment I'm managing with lemon tea as can't drink tea or coffee black!

I know this topic has been dead for a while, but it caught my eye because...

I arrived in Ffm about a week ago and I've been noticing that my tolerance for dairy products has decreased. I'm from the states and when I'm home, I typically don't have any problems. (I'm not severely intolerant). As long as I don't drink an entire glass of milk or eat a pint of ice-cream, I get by without thinking about it. But I've had to increase my awareness since I've been here because yogurt and a little cheese will give me problems. So... there must be more lactose in the products here.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor, but in my personal experience, the degree to which lactose bothers me is based on how much of it I consume. I assume I have some of the lactase enzyme in system, but not enough to handle loads of lactose. It sounds like you've already verified that this IS, in fact, your problem, i.e. lactose intolerance. Accordingly, I would recommend adding in small bits of dairy that you consider necessary, rather than completely removing it from your diet (which seems like it would be a pain). For example, see if your body can handle the milk in your coffee and some bread that was made with milk, and just stay away from "serious" dairy products.

Lastly, in the states we have tablets you can take (Lactaid) that include ingredients which help break down the lactose. I have friends who live by these. Not sure if they're available here.

I know none of this has been all that helpful, but just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. Germany seems to be a haven for lactose.

Lastly, in the states we have tablets you can take (Lactaid) that include ingredients which help break down the lactose. I have friends who live by these. Not sure if they're available here.

Biolabor-Laktase

These tablets have the same enzyme as Lactaid Fast Act. You can get them in the local Rossmann or the DM-Drogerie store downtown.